Apple CEO Tim Cook spotted at video game designer Valve's headquarters

Comments

• Reply 41 of 110

Apple should take it more seriously. The Game Center UI is like a spammy gambling site.

• Reply 42 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

- buy Bungie and make us all enjoy Marathon for Lion!

But we already have Marathon for Lion. I can't force you to enjoy it, though.
  • Reply 43 of 110
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GrangerFX View Post

Apple may want to work with Valve on a standardized Bluetooth game controller design that can work on multiple platforms. If there was a standard minimum design for button and analog stick layout and a common Bluetooth protocol that was adopted for all Steam games and also on iOS we could see the end of the video game console in a year or two.

Really?

On which iOS platform, exactly, can you play Crysis 2 on?

I think Tim was trying to find out what the holdup over Half Life 3 is and to convince them not choke over there being a 3 in the title.

Actually, this visit would have been about steam supplying content to the mysterious do-everything Apple TV/HiFi/game console, that Msr Starke has hinted at.
  • Reply 44 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Well, he would be really high on my CEO list if he did two things related to gaming:

- Buy Steam and ensure porting of every Valve game to Macs;

- buy Bungie and make us all enjoy Marathon for Lion!

Bingo
  • Reply 45 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by connector View Post

Who else finds the Game Center UI design nauseating? It's like a spammy gambling site! I can't believe it, it's as if 'old men playing cards' is their demographic. Really? I don't want it to machinima.com but something better than this. This is bad UI from 1989.

Exactly what I thought about that, almost to the word. (Even if I am edging ever closer to that demographic. But there is still much alien blood to be spilled)
  • Reply 46 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gluskap View Post

False. For instance, you can buy and download Valve's games from Impulse: http://www.impulsedriven.com/publisher/valve

I'm not sure, but you can also probably buy from Origin.

But you still need to download Steam to play Valve games, you just need to place them in your Steam library.

Ah, I stand corrected though I'm sure EA's Origin does not distribute Valve's games.

Still, it's kind of a hassle (& confusing) to buy Valve games using other digital distribution outlets only to find out it needs Steam to run.

If the rumored secret project of Valve just happens to be real, as in the 'Steam-Box', & with Apple as a partner (with their iPanel), I think it's going to be game changer.

Although that's just some dream of mine.
  • Reply 47 of 110
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    The only reason I have a Windows partition is games. It is a definite weakness of the Mac.

Even if Tim got Value to stop using their own client on the Mac, and start using the App Store, it wouldn't solve the lag in new games coming to the Mac.

He needs to meet with publishers like Ubisoft and get them to not develop a Windows version and then port it, but to write both at the same time, do things more platform independent from the start.
  • Reply 48 of 110
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zeejay21 View Post

There was whisperings in the gaming industry that Valve was working on a project to create a console. Birdies called it the Steam Box. Valve was quick to deny it but recently, a job posting was revealed that Valve was looking for 'hardware platform engineer'.

The job advert says:

"For years, Valve has been all about writing software that provides great gameplay experiences. Now we?re developing hardware to enhance those experiences, and you can be a key part of making that happen. Join our highly motivated team that?s doing hardware design, prototyping, testing, and production across a wide range of platforms. We?re not talking about me-too mice and gamepads here ? help us invent whole new gaming experiences."

The job also wants someone with knowledge of 'ARM/X86 system design' and 'power supply management'

http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/89...am-box-rumours

http://www.valvesoftware.com/jobs/job_postings.html

There's also rumours of some mini PC:

http://kotaku.com/5890275/is-this-a-...umored-console

but if Microsoft or Sony could build a machine with a Core i7, 8GB RAM and an NVidia GPU for $300, they'd do it. They'd possibly get away with a dual-core i5/i7 Haswell chip from Intel with the GT3 spec of 40 EUs. Throw in a 160GB HDD, 802.11n and you have a box that can connect to Steam just like the PS3 connects to PSN and the XBox connects to XBox Live but it might not be $300.

Apple could ship an A6 chip with quad-core ARM and Rogue graphics for $100-200 though and it would rival a PS3 while being the size of the ATV but it would need much more Flash memory.

Games would need to be rebuilt for both versions as Microsoft won't comply with a competing console by say bundling Windows cheaply with it.

Then they run into issues like EA not allowing their games on Steam.

It could work out though and it could help boost the TV uptake. It could even be called iPlay to go along with iPad, iPhone, iPod.

iPlay Movies, iPlay TV Shows, iPlay slideshows, iPlay Games.

All iWork and no iPlay makes Tim a dull boy.

This would use an all-touch remote, just a slate and no buttons. All gesture-based controls and they could be published simultaneously to all iOS devices just like the XBox has with Windows.

Half-Life 3 would of course have to be an exclusive and there would be more than screaming, blood would be shed.
  • Reply 49 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

I hope Valve is licensing Apple?s ?Drag Your Downloaded Apps to Any Drive You Like? technology.

Messing with Terminal to get my Steam stuff onto an external isn?t Mac-style user friendliness!

This article shows you how to do it:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/26...er-steam-games

Not pretty, but not difficult either.
  • Reply 50 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

The only reason I have a Windows partition is games. It is a definite weakness of the Mac.

Even if Tim got Value to stop using their own client on the Mac, and start using the App Store, it wouldn't solve the lag in new games coming to the Mac.

He needs to meet with publishers like Ubisoft and get them to not develop a Windows version and then port it, but to write both at the same time, do things more platform independent from the start.

Windows versions are already usually (sometimes bad) ports of original console versions.

The coming PS4's adoption of graphics components and Intel compatible processor from AMD instead of its current cell architecture may help some with porting, both to PC and Mac.
  • Reply 51 of 110
    Here we go again!

Apple's business model for "sealed units" such as the iMac doesn't allow for the modular approach taken by PC gamers. PC gamers as a matter of routine swap processors and graphics cards for the best possible performance - which isn't possible on any Mac.

Even Mac Pros are totally hamstrung by an abysmal lack of choice between less than a handful of massively overpriced graphics cards. The CPU's can't be upgraded without major surgery either.

The only way to match the PC gaming experience is to ditch the Mac Pro (which will break my heart!) and introduce a machine built specifically for upgrading by the user with industry standard components. In other words; a PC!

Quite frankly, that may be the only option left for those of us that currently rely upon Mac Pros...

Oh, and some REAL choice for graphics cards right now wouldn't hurt...

z
  • Reply 52 of 110
    toruktoruk Posts: 38member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It could even be called iPlay to go along with iPad, iPhone, iPod.

Snap! I suggested the name iPlay to Apple years ago.

I think Apple should have rebranded iTunes when it began distributing films and TV programmes and even more so when it released the App Store. The name iTunes represents only the musical aspect of its service which now offers so much more.
  • Reply 53 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gluskap View Post

I'm surprised no one here mentioned the obvious: Valve wants to launch a game title at an upcoming Apple keynote. Other game devs do it all the time.

The only question is: will it be an ordinary Mac/PC game, or will it be Valve's first iOS game?

Valve doesn't need Apple to build the SteamBox, which is nothing but standard PC components. Apple would be an unnecessary middle man in that arraignment.

EDIT: I suppose Valve might be looking to put their games on the Mac App Store. They do sell their games in other download stores after all.

right? i read through these comments specifically to find this one or post it if it wasnt already here. apple is NOT a hardware company. i think, more than anything else, this means apple is not likely to shift away from intel based systems like people have been saying. if they switch back to arm they lose steam for mac. what the two companies do have in common is content delivery. thats prolly what the meeting is about.
  • Reply 54 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You can't use that as evidence.

You sure?

Quote:

No, that's not true at all.

If you're about to suggest that the 6790M of the iMac is "high end gaming hardware", you should probably try quitting the kool-aid

Quote:

Li~ke? what?

Like how AFAIK we're still stuck at OpenGL 2.1 instead of OpenGL 4? Imagine if gamers were still confined to DirectX 9...

Also, rumors of just relying in Ivy Bridge graphics instead of the super-capable Nvidia Kepler and of phasing out the Mac Pro.

Quote:

No, companies take the lazy way out and make idiotic Cider ports instead of native software and then whine when it doesn't work.

True.

Quote:

Secret to me. OS overhead is marginal at beset.

Marginal? Are you insane? How is 10-15 fps difference "marginal"?
  • Reply 55 of 110
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

You sure?

Yes.

Quote:

If you're about to suggest that the 6790M of the iMac is "high end gaming hardware", you should probably try quitting the kool-aid

The Mac Pro isn't for games. That's all I'm saying. Certainly not that you should rely on a mobile card.

Quote:

Also, rumors of just relying in Ivy Bridge graphics instead of the super-capable Nvidia Kepler and of phasing out the Mac Pro.

The Mac Pro isn't for games.

Quote:

Marginal? Are you insane? How is 10-15 fps difference "marginal"?

I don't remember reading about such discrepancies. Do you have a link?
  • Reply 56 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by janeshepard View Post

Bingo

Steamed Apple. Mmmmmm....
  • Reply 57 of 110
    Quote:

The Mac Pro isn't for games. That's all I'm saying. Certainly not that you should rely on a mobile card.

The 6970M is a very fast gaming GPU.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjfcnx7coyQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1l2WmNKzh8

and will play pretty much any high-end title on high quality at 1080p. The fastest single-GPU desktop card you can buy (the GTX 580) is only 50% faster.
  • Reply 58 of 110
    Just saying...
  • Reply 59 of 110
    Quote:

Sure it isn't. But being the only fully expandable Mac and with access to graphics cards, it's the closest it gets, if you overlook how much expensive it is due to its special parts.

All I'm saying is, if Apple plans to phase the only computer they have in which you can change graphics cards, then they're NOT interested in throwing gamers a bone. Even a tiny, cracked bone, full of dirt.

Quote:

I don't remember reading about such discrepancies. Do you have a link?

http://www.macworld.com/article/1155..._graphics.html

This is from almost a year and half ago, but I bet things didn't change a lot. Also, I've recently tried playing Portal 2 and Civ V on OS X on the MBP of my sig (yes, I'm crazy). Portal 2 played fine on OS X, but at medium settings instead of high, and in the very last chamber it stuttered a bit more, even throwing set-piece audio out of sync for a while.

Civ V, on the other hand, was quite a disaster. On Windows I keep it at low settings because I play in Large maps and performance goes straight to hell in late-game (It turns out Civ V hungers for CPU power almost as much as GPU).

On OS X, however, I had to turn off pretty much everything, and STILL I had better performance on Windows at late-game than I had mid-game.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The 6970M is a very fast gaming GPU.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjfcnx7coyQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1l2WmNKzh8

and will play pretty much any high-end title on high quality at 1080p. The fastest single-GPU desktop card you can buy (the GTX 580) is only 50% faster.

Don't get me wrong, I was quite impressed when I saw Apple offering a 2GB high-end graphics card for the iMac, even though it was mobile and they offered it solely for the 27".

And I wouldn't complain at all if I had the $2200 MBP with the 6750M... but "real gamers"? They'd spit at those specs, and especially the fact that you'd have to pay $2K+ on a desktop to get a mobile graphics card (yeah, they'd ignore the difference between a premium all-in-one and a DIY tower with 6 screaming fans...).

All I'm saying is, were Apple to up the ante on their mobile GPUs just a bit more AND offer proper support to give Mac games performance parity (something I've just proven simply doesn't exist), the "ultra-hardcore" guys surely wouldn't come over, but other people who, like me, like OS X but don't want to give up gaming on mid-performance hardware without breaking the bank, would be more interested, and Apple would get some good cred over that side of the fence.

But with rumors such as going Ivy Bridge graphics instead of the much, much better Nvidia 540M on 13" MBPs (exactly the ones I was interested in...)... It seems Apple simply doesn't care. At all.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacinSas View Post

[Steam App on Apple TV] Just saying...

Would be nice, but I'm really not interested in whatever Apple does to promote iOS gaming... because it's already near the best it can get. They have great performance, lots of devs, lots of buyers... and smartphone games will never cease to be casual. I'd be more interested in Apple supporting the AAA titles.
  • Reply 60 of 110
    Quote:

"real gamers"? They'd spit at those specs, and especially the fact that you'd have to pay $2K+ on a desktop to get a mobile graphics card.

Real gamers have a 360 or PS3. In case you hadn't noticed, some developers don't even make their games for the PC any more; many delay the PC release significantly. LA Noire came out 6 months after the console version and Alan Wake (Microsoft game) took 2 years. Where is Halo 3 for the PC? Uncharted, Gears of War 2&3, Heavy Rain, Killzone 3, Resistance 3?

By 'real gamers', you mean people who buy boxes, put two GPUs in SLI, fiddle for hours (or days if playing any of id's recent releases) with drivers and end up getting a mildly better experience than a console gamer. But they will proceed to post screenshots online to prove that their $1000+ 2012 PC is superior to a $250 console using 7 year old hardware.

If they dismiss 'mobile hardware' because they can get 50% faster with a GTX580 (which costs $400 on its own), so be it. Their opinion isn't relevant.

PC gaming is dying and publishers are already picking up the soil to throw on top. Valve has no choice but to move to consoles because of this as they only sell PC games. Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo won't let them be part of their experience so Valve has to go to their best competition - Apple.

Quote:

But with rumors such as going Ivy Bridge graphics instead of the much, much better Nvidia 540M on 13" MBPs (exactly the ones I was interested in...)... It seems Apple simply doesn't care. At all.

On this page, the Fermi 540M gets almost the same as the 6630M:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-...M.41715.0.html

The HD 4000 will get pretty close to this and will run better/cooler. Perhaps you mean the kepler 640M?

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-...M.71579.0.html

I think the HD 4000 is plenty for the 13".