Samsung's 7" Galaxy Tab 2 tablet coming to US in April, 10" version in May

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

It has the Samsung brand name, which is well respected. WRT ecosystem, it can access all the major Android App Stores, along with all the major content providers, except Apple.

"all the major Android App Stores" do not equal an ecosystem. instead they amount to a fragmented mess. great for tech types that love to mix and match, but not for the vast majority of consumers. that's the whole problem. you can assemble something that resembles Apple's ecosystem in total by mixing and matching various brands of hardware, software, services/cloud, and apps. some Windows, some Android, some whatever. some parts might be better individually than Apple's, many not.

but that's a DIY project that takes a lot of tweaking, while consumers want "Just Works." they like that Apple Walled Garden if it Just Works.

Sony, certainly a peer of Samsung's brand, has a more extensive ecosystem than Samsung, which it is desperately trying to weld together these days into its own Walled Garden. Playstation and PS3, smart TV's, media store, Sony Entertainment Network, along with phones/tablets and computers and more hardware. but so far it hasn't taken off. because, except for the overpriced games, the software is also just the same Android or Windows stuff as everyone else, and Sony nickels and dimes you to monetize everything.

Samsung has a long, long way to go before it can claim even a rudimentary ecosystem of its own.
  • Reply 22 of 53
    I'm buying one of these if the peel remote app is the same thing as they sell with their iOS device thingy. All I want out of a tablet is a universal remote that doesn't cost a fortune and is married to my devices IR port. the iPad will never have this ability, and therefor is worthless to me. Why would i spend 400 dollars or more on a jumbo iPhone? I already have an iPhone. It's stupid.
  • Reply 23 of 53
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Partial Quote

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

Samsung has a long, long way to go before it can claim even a rudimentary ecosystem of its own.

Unless you consider South Korea ...
  • Reply 24 of 53
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

I'm buying one of these if the peel remote app is the same thing as they sell with their iOS device thingy. All I want out of a tablet is a universal remote that doesn't cost a fortune and is married to my devices IR port. the iPad will never have this ability, and therefor is worthless to me. Why would i spend 400 dollars or more on a jumbo iPhone? I already have an iPhone. It's stupid.

well of course you can buy one of the several IR blaster + universal remote app combos for your iPad/iPhone. you know that, right? i use the Re, and it's ok. there are others. most plug a blaster in to the connector port, but a few have a separate wireless connected IR base station.

so why spend $250 to get a universal IR remote plus a mediocre tablet when you can add one to your iPhone for just $50? i actually use my 'retired' 3GS iPhone for this, so can also run all my AirPlay/iTunes stuff from it to my A/V setup from it as well. that's even better.
  • Reply 25 of 53
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    The new Samsung tablets don't look very nice, pretty much the same specs as the last models. Currently the only tablet that I'm looking forward to is the Asus PadPhone, I will pre order it the moment it becomes available here in Switzerland. My sister wants my Asus Slider as you can't find it anymore.
  • Reply 26 of 53
    Just looked the posts. good job! snoring mouthpiece!
  • Reply 27 of 53
    mchan1mchan1 Posts: 8member
    Too bad Samsung isn't focusing on enhancing their product. Instead, the company is trying to compete directly with its rivals esp. Apple.

Some decent reviews on their Tab tablets but the Player device has mixed reviews from various online reviews.

Samsung should just make a set number of models and focus on the Quality of such models instead of creating differing models at different sizes with mediocre quality while charging relatively higher prices than their rivals.

Why does Samsung sound like Sony?

I do like the Samsang Note, though and interested in the Galaxy S 3 when it's released
  • Reply 28 of 53
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

the Engadget review was pretty plain: it's a stripped down version of the latest 7" Galaxy tab solely intended to match the Kindle Fire, but $50 more. ok but nothing special.

Samsung's business model is the classic 'blanket the market' approach, with a model of everything they make - TV, phones, refrigerators, cameras, whatever - for every segment of those product markets, low end to high end. and overall it's working good for them, with growing sales and good profits these days. while many others, like Sony, are struggling.

in this case tho, it's just one more small black tablet on a store aisle full of them. without a compelling ecosystem to challenge even the Fire.

It's interesting that you mention Sony, because their endless product bloat is arguably why they're struggling.

Back in the good old days (like Samsung now) the TV and Walkman cash cows meant Sony could afford to blanket the market with seemingly limitless numbers of products and iterations of those products.

Problem being, when markets change and the cash flow isn't so great, all that shit is really, really expensive to take care of. You've got manufacturing costs, shipping and storage costs, inventory costs, managing unsold returns, etc. And if you've hung your hat on covering all the bases, it's hard to trim the roster when the going gets tough.

Apple is pretty unique in their approach to product discipline, and it's one of the reasons they're so unholy profitable. It also gives them a lot of flexibility-- they can change it up on a dime, push out product updates across the board in a very coherent, easily understandable way.

What Samsung is doing now may seem like a good strategy, but they're building the foundations of trouble up ahead. Android is bringing in the dough for the time being, but when that market cools (as it inevitably will), they're going to have to show a little discipline. Not sure it they have it in them, though, as they seem hell bent on copying Sony's hubris without any of the track record of innovation.
  • Reply 29 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mchan1 View Post

Too bad Samsung isn't focusing on enhancing their product. Instead, the company is trying to compete directly with its rivals esp. Apple.

Some decent reviews on their Tab tablets but the Player device has mixed reviews from various online reviews.

Samsung should just make a set number of models and focus on the Quality of such models instead of creating differing models at different sizes with mediocre quality while charging relatively higher prices than their rivals.

Why does Samsung sound like Sony?

I do like the Samsang Note, though and interested in the Galaxy S 3 when it's released

Samsung only has two products right now that could be considered expensive and that is the Note and Nexus both of which can be purchased out right for under 550 dollars. That is still cheaper then then the most inexpensive iPhone 4S. HTC, Sony and Motorola normally charge more then a Samsung phone so I'm not sure what you are referring to. I happen to think Samsung's pricing is fair.
  • Reply 30 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Not sure it they have it in them, though, as they seem hell bent on copying Sony's hubris without any of the track record of innovation.

Samsung is one of the most innovative company's on the market today. The are the front runners in all display technology, their new ARM designs and manufacturing are bar none some of the best. Their constantly pushing the envelope with phone designs like the Galaxy Note and Galaxy SIII, everyone said who would buy such a big phone. The only market their blanketing is the tablet and who can blame them, they're still looking for that perfect formula.

I just want them to release a Galaxy Note 7.7", no not to use as a phone but as journal and note taker. I find their current 7.7" to be the best tablet they have as of yet now just add that awesome pen..
  • Reply 31 of 53
    tunetune Posts: 91member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Samsung only has two products right now that could be considered expensive and that is the Note and Nexus both of which can be purchased out right for under 550 dollars. That is still cheaper then then the most inexpensive iPhone 4S.

Actually you can pick up brand new sealed 4S's on ebay from decent sellers for under $500.
  • Reply 32 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Samsung is one of the most innovative company's on the market today. The are the front runners in all display technology, their new ARM designs and manufacturing are bar none some of the best. Their constantly pushing the envelope with phone designs like the Galaxy Note and Galaxy SIII, everyone said who would buy such a big phone. The only market their blanketing is the tablet and who can blame them, they're still looking for that perfect formula.

I just want them to release a Galaxy Note 7.7", no not to use as a phone but as journal and note taker. I find their current 7.7" to be the best tablet they have as of yet now just add that awesome pen..

I know you think Samsung can do know no wrong and that each and every one of their products is Jesus, but if you take off the fanboy blinkers for a second you'll realize that Samsung "innovations" in the mobile space are nothing more than endless iterations of what Apple initially created with the iPhone.

Bigger and smaller and a stylus are nothing like Apple (and Sony in their heyday) were able to achieve. Fanboy.
  • Reply 33 of 53
    Did Apple invent the smartphone? I don't think so.

Samsung is a late comer in the smartphone industry but in just a year they became the leader in unit sales. They won Best Smartphone for the S2 and Best Manufacturer from the World Mobile Congress, all in the year of copygate.

And you can't deny Samsung's strength in TVs, something to which Apple aspires. They were the first to introduce LED, the first to introduce 3D, and now will be first with OLED and then transparent TVs. Sony has relied on them for panels for the last several years.

The second half of this year will be the time of Apple copying Samsung, coming out with bigger iphone screens, smaller ipads, and a rectangular TV with rounded corners.
  • Reply 34 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tune View Post

Samsung is a late comer in the smartphone industry but in just a year they became the leader in unit sales. They won Best Smartphone for the S2 and Best Manufacturer from the World Mobile Congress, all in the year of copygate.

And you can't deny Samsung's strength in TVs, something to which Apple aspires. They were the first to introduce LED, the first to introduce 3D, and now will be first with OLED and then transparent TVs. Sony has relied on them for panels for the last several years.

The second half of this year will be the time of Apple copying Samsung, coming out with bigger iphone screens, smaller ipads, and a rectangular TV with rounded corners.

No, Apple didn't invent the smartphone. They completely transformed the smartphone industry by rethinking the basic nature of the device, thereby moving that industry from a marginal geek niche to the massive scale we see today.

Anyone that can't figure that out-- that can't see how Samsung is simply following the template Apple created, and without Apple they'd still be making button covered shitboxes-- is too stupid or blinkered to bother talking to. Really, Samsung fanboys are the biggest jackasses in all the land.
  • Reply 35 of 53
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

Who says they did?

Quote:

Samsung is a late comer in the smartphone industry..............

Bollocks! Samsung has been selling 'smart' phones since 2003/2004. That's YEARS before iPhone.

Quote:

.....but in just a year they became the leader in unit sales.

Debatable! A couple of the analyst houses put Apple first. A couple put Samsung first.

Apple publishes sales figures, Samsung doesn't.
  • Reply 36 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I know you think Samsung can do know no wrong and that each and every one of their products is Jesus, but if you take off the fanboy blinkers for a second you'll realize that Samsung "innovations" in the mobile space are nothing more than endless iterations of what Apple initially created with the iPhone.

Bigger and smaller and a stylus are nothing like Apple (and Sony in their heyday) were able to achieve. Fanboy.

It's fangirl and I'm a fan of any company who make good tech. Just like your a fanboy of Apple, actually a lot more then I can could ever be with just one company, Apple can do no harm in your eyes.

I own a Note and a 7.7 tablet both are pretty amazimg products and nothing like them can be found in Apples catalog. I buy the tech that best fits my needs so what if it isnt Apple.
  • Reply 37 of 53
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    9to5 has a piece on the 7" Samsung Tab, and they've given it pretty good marks overall. One thing only mentioned in passing in the AI article is the Peel feature, which in essence turns the Tab into a hi-end universal remote. Better than those available from Logitech according to 9to5, there's no comparison in the ease of set-up. All you need to know is your TV's manufacturer's name, your cable/satellite provider, and your ZIP code. Forget about model numbers for tv's and boxes.

If you're considering Kindle Fire as a general use tablet, the Samsung Tab2 looks like a much better device to me. Of course it's no iPad but that's not what they're trying to compete with here anyway. Instead it's Samsung's reply to the Fire and their stake-out of the entry level general-use crowd.

http://9to5google.com/2012/04/14/wat...ew/#more-26062

http://reviews.cnet.com/tablets/sams...ml#reviewPage1
  • Reply 38 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

Bollocks! Samsung has been selling 'smart' phones since 2003/2004. That's YEARS before iPhone.

Are you talking about the flip phones that were dubbed "smartphones" back then.

C'mon now.
  • Reply 39 of 53
    And if anybody reading this doesn't get the "rectangular shape with rounded corners" reference, it is one of the reasons Apple sued Samsung.
  • Reply 40 of 53
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

Are you talking about the flip phones that were dubbed "smartphones" back then.

C'mon now.

I am talking about Samsung being in the smartphone business well before Apple enterered it.

You, on the other hand, are claiming that Samsung became the number one manufacturer after just one year... Which is, I repeat, bollocks.