Apple removes free trials of iWork, Aperture, refers users to Mac App Store

2»

Comments

  • fsad32fsad32 Posts: 20member
    This is Very not good, because i have purchased iWork kit by the boxed version with the activation key from Amazon - without the disc.

    The free trial versions was the ONLY ONE WAY to activate purchased software from Apple. Especially when i've made clean install of whole OS - i needed to download iWork free trial every time - to install it and activate. And because Apple now making every 2 year a new update of OS - i'll need now to search for this free trial file of iWork. I paid $50 bucks for it and i'm not intended to pay again for what i've purchased already.
  • elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CGJ View Post


    One does hope the Mac App Store soon includes the option to demo an app.



    This could be done in two ways, either a 'XX-day trial' (like normal demos), or they could use something like 'XX-hours of app use'.



    The last time I tried the Pages and Numbers demos, my Word and Excel documents didn't translate well. I won't be buying either Pages or Numbers without trying them out extensively. No trial versions means no sale.
  • enjournienjourni Posts: 254member
    Apple has found the value in the cheap-but-hard-to-return application.



    For example there's probably dozens of apps I bought on the app store I no longer use and would like to return, but its next to impossible to do so. Apple does have a support method to do it, and I used it, with no reply at all to the request. Like they even bother to read requests at all?



    Its much more profitable to sucker lots of people into buying things cheap then make a really quality app that takes some thought to decide over. Apple doesn't want you to decide, they want you to hit that "buy" button. Then they've got you by the balls, and shame on you if you don't like the app for some reason.
  • netimoonnetimoon Posts: 41member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enjourni View Post


    Apple has found the value in the cheap-but-hard-to-return application.



    For example there's probably dozens of apps I bought on the app store I no longer use and would like to return, but its next to impossible to do so. Apple does have a support method to do it, and I used it, with no reply at all to the request. Like they even bother to read requests at all?



    Its much more profitable to sucker lots of people into buying things cheap then make a really quality app that takes some thought to decide over. Apple doesn't want you to decide, they want you to hit that "buy" button. Then they've got you by the balls, and shame on you if you don't like the app for some reason.





    Seriously, have you ever tried to return apps you bought?



    I tried some, and all my requests havve been accepted by Apple very quickly, with satisfaction.



    In some cases, I simply told them "I don't like this game." or "An iPad version of this game came out so I don't need this iPhone version anymore. I will buy an iPad version."



    And Apple support team did not admonish me, instead they refunded my money with pleasure.



    This story not only goes for 3rd pary developed apps, but also goes for Apple's own apps too.



    I purchased OS X Lion from Mac App Store, and a month later, Apple released USB thumbdrive version of Lion.



    So I told Apple support team that I would like to buy USB drive so I want to return Lion from MAS.



    Guess what. They refunded my money without any complaint!



    So, say that again, "cheap-but-hard-to-return" apps? Oh, I disagree. Box software is much harder to return; Resellers are reluctant to refund as they say "the box is open," "you used it," or "serial number is leaked so we can't sell it to others."
  • brutus009brutus009 Posts: 356member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fsad32 View Post


    This is Very not good, because i have purchased iWork kit by the boxed version with the activation key from Amazon - without the disc.

    The free trial versions was the ONLY ONE WAY to activate purchased software from Apple. Especially when i've made clean install of whole OS - i needed to download iWork free trial every time - to install it and activate. And because Apple now making every 2 year a new update of OS - i'll need now to search for this free trial file of iWork. I paid $50 bucks for it and i'm not intended to pay again for what i've purchased already.



    Umm... it sounds like you made a terrible decision to begin with by purchasing software without any way to install it, right? Depending on Apple's free trial sounds a lot more like Amazon's fault, and I wonder if this is even a legit sale.



    Well, hopefully iWork 12 comes out soon and your plight is moot.
  • enjournienjourni Posts: 254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Netimoon View Post


    Seriously, have you ever tried to return apps you bought?



    I tried some, and all my requests havve been accepted by Apple very quickly, with satisfaction.



    In some cases, I simply told them "I don't like this game." or "An iPad version of this game came out so I don't need this iPhone version anymore. I will buy an iPad version."



    And Apple support team did not admonish me, instead they refunded my money with pleasure.



    Well then you have had better luck then me. Apple has never refunded me for any app purchase. Not one.
  • sapporobabyrtrnssapporobabyrtrns Posts: 824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    I don't see the latter until at least next year. Probably late.



    And at this point, I don't see iWork '13 until, well? next year?



    Please oh wise one tell use why Aperture won't come until next year when Aperture has been on a two year release cycle. In case you missed it, many pro users are deciding to dump Aperture and go with LR because of Apple's late delivery.
  • tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 39,487member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post


    Please oh wise one tell use why Aperture won't come until next year when Aperture has been on a two year release cycle.



    Get over yourself.



    I don't figure we'll see a new Aperture for a while because all Apple software is being held up by the Mac App Store's inability to parse and charge for updates to software.



    Apple doesn't want to have two applications with the same name show up in users' "Purchased" tab, as that gets confusing.



    Quote:

    In case you missed it, many pro users are deciding to dump Aperture and go with LR because of Apple's late delivery.



    If they were going to dump it, they weren't going to keep it at all, anyway.
  • charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,063member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post


    Hoping for iWork 12 and Aperture 4 please!



    You are more likely to see iWork lose the year and Aperture lose the number than actual overhauls. Especially with iWork because really what can they do to do a total overhaul in the UI. Seems like not much if anything. it's all under the hood stuff at this point. Like the iCloud integration. Which isn't really worth a new number. And by dropping that they could highlight that since it is basically the same program, these updates are free rather than in years past when you had to buy a whole new copy of the software. Particularly with iWork and iLife because they didn't do the whole half price 'upgrade' option like they did with the pro apps (but are likely cutting also)
  • charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,063member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macapptraining View Post


    I guess the free trials technically aren't necessary anymore since the apps are much less expensive now that they're downloadable on the Mac App Store. Remember the days when Final Cut Studio was $1300? Or Aperture at $300? For some, the lack of a trial may hurt but overall Apple does make excellent software that is now at a more affordable price.



    With the growth of their stores and the addition of places like Best Buy, Walmart etc it seems like there's plenty of spots for folks to go in and try the software on Apple's demo machines. At least enough to know if you are going to hate it.



    And really how many companies these days offer trials. Over all it seems to be going the way of the dodo for the major companies.
  • sapporobabyrtrnssapporobabyrtrns Posts: 824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    Get over yourself.



    I don't figure we'll see a new Aperture for a while because all Apple software is being held up by the Mac App Store's inability to parse and charge for updates to software.



    Apple doesn't want to have two applications with the same name show up in users' "Purchased" tab, as that gets confusing.



    I guess you missed the update to FCP and the other pro apps. Too busy pontificating I guess.



    Quote:

    If they were going to dump it, they weren't going to keep it at all, anyway.



    Again a random non-sequitor. At least you consistent in your inability to understand or appreciate photographers and their tools. Stick to wild, random statements and leave the shooter stuff to those that know.
  • tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 39,487member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post


    I guess you missed the update to FCP and the other pro apps.



    Hey, that's my line?



    Quote:

    Again a random non-sequitor. At least you consistent in your inability to understand or appreciate photographers and their tools. Stick to wild, random statements and leave the shooter stuff to those that know.



    Fine, if you choose not to understand, I'll expound.



    If these "professionals" are so loosely tied to their software that they're okay with completely rebuilding their libraries every time a new update "doesn't come out" between Aperture and Lightroom then I question their dedication to the content.
  • sapporobabyrtrnssapporobabyrtrns Posts: 824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    Hey, that's my line…







    Fine, if you choose not to understand, I'll expound.



    If these "professionals" are so loosely tied to their software that they're okay with completely rebuilding their libraries every time a new update "doesn't come out" between Aperture and Lightroom then I question their dedication to the content.



    I'll further explain as you didn't seem to get it the first time. No worries though, I am here to help.



    You see, Adobe (love them or hate them) has been very reliable in releasing upgrades to LR. So much so that pros who use Aperture are simply willing to STOP using Aperture NOW, and SWITCH to LR for their future workflows. Again, Adobe has listened to the pros as well and hi-end amateurs who have requested such features as lens correction, brushes, etc... while Aperture is currently years behind. So to sum up and clarify, Pros will STOP and SWITCH because at least Adobe will continue to upgrade their pro apps within a decent amount of time. Clear enough now?



    P.S. I have no idea what you know about photography in general but you clearly seem to be lost when it comes to post processing apps and workflow management, but that's okay. I guess you're busy.
  • callmemattcallmematt Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fsad32 View Post


    This is Very not good, because i have purchased iWork kit by the boxed version with the activation key from Amazon - without the disc.

    The free trial versions was the ONLY ONE WAY to activate purchased software from Apple. Especially when i've made clean install of whole OS - i needed to download iWork free trial every time - to install it and activate. And because Apple now making every 2 year a new update of OS - i'll need now to search for this free trial file of iWork. I paid $50 bucks for it and i'm not intended to pay again for what i've purchased already.



    You can't download it from your "digital locker" on Amazon?
  • mkunertmkunert Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Conrail View Post


    Good. If you don't have enough confidence in Apple to buy their software without a demo, you shouldn't be using a mac in the first place!



    /Am I doing it right?



    what a stupid, fanboy, comment.
  • fsad32fsad32 Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post


    Umm... it sounds like you made a terrible decision to begin with by purchasing software without any way to install it, right? Depending on Apple's free trial sounds a lot more like Amazon's fault, and I wonder if this is even a legit sale.



    Well, hopefully iWork 12 comes out soon and your plight is moot.



    Hey ?sshole, try to insult someone else. You're looking stupid here.

    Before the start of selling iWork on current App Store - Apple sells iWork in boxes with documentation and activation code - this was a Genuine Apple's product and it was everywhere.

    You won't be able to buy anything other - the instruction was to download free software from Apple and enter the code.
  • macxpressmacxpress Posts: 1,670member


     


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by fsad32 View Post



    This is Very not good, because i have purchased iWork kit by the boxed version with the activation key from Amazon - without the disc.

    The free trial versions was the ONLY ONE WAY to activate purchased software from Apple. Especially when i've made clean install of whole OS - i needed to download iWork free trial every time - to install it and activate. And because Apple now making every 2 year a new update of OS - i'll need now to search for this free trial file of iWork. I paid $50 bucks for it and i'm not intended to pay again for what i've purchased already.


     


     


    Normally I wouldn't recommend this but you could always download iWork via a torrent. In my opinion, as long as you actually purchased the program this is a perfectly good use of a torrent. 

Sign In or Register to comment.