Apple rejects Greenpeace data center estimate as inaccurate

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    I must be the most liberal person on here and I don't have much good to say about Green Peace. They really do seem to go out of their way to be combative and antisocial. I don't think Global warming is junk science, I just don't understand why anyone would be against going with as broad an energy supply as possible. I want lots more nuclear, with a real reprocessing center to burn the leftover fuel. Biotech oil, improved solar, white heat reflecting roofing (I have a roofing contractor friend who says 92% of UV rays are reflected by the best roofing at $4 a square foot that is not unreasonable for a 25 year roof), more efficient cars, way more investment in rail and rail to truck automation, .... The list goes on but it basically boils down to common sense. I want cheaper, more diverse energy sources especially common sense infrastructure changes. My father who was raised during the depression knew more about saving energy and money then these Green Peace yahoos and all their publicity seeking cohorts.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    Quote:

The group noted that it decided to publish the report anyway?

Given decisions like this, I invite GreenPeace to get an up close and personal birds-eye view of a wind turbine in operation.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    so Greenpeace thinks NOBODY SHOULD INVEST in N.C (a place which I read desperately needs jobs) even a company like Apple which is trying to add their own clean energy producing component on site?
  • Reply 24 of 48
    yensid98yensid98 Posts: 311member
    Not too fair of Greenpeace to complain about a facility that isn't even up and running yet. They're guessing and pointing the finger based on their guesses. How is anyone supposed to take them seriously?
  • Reply 25 of 48
    Dear GreenPeace,

Your reports are wasting valuable internet space by being pushed through all the news websites especially those seeking to make Apple look bad.

Some of these sites are in countries with poor power production facilities and are thus adding to the pollution you are claiming Apple is making. - F

Also, considering that you are making these numbers up but not letting on as to how you make these numbers up you are not transparent in your information - F

The hot air created by your lies is adding to global warming.

I see that your headquarters is based at:

Ottho Heldringstraat 5 1066 AZ Amsterdam The Netherlands

According to this document:

http://ec.europa.eu/energy/energy_po.../mix_nl_en.pdf

Your offices are located in a country that uses oil and nuclear to create the electricity that runs your offices. Seeing as there is no record of your attempts to provide clean energy to power your offices you are rated F.

Clean Energy rating for you is thus -50% according to our rating system which is largely controlled by an aging mouse called Gerald.

There is one very cheap and valid way in which you can clean up your act.

That is to sit down and tape up your mouths and to completely solve this problem you should also tape up your nostrils.

Thank you

Loweded Wookie

CEO of You're a Lying Pillock Energy Commission.
  • Reply 26 of 48
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    There would be no need for GreenPeace if Corporations weren't destroying the Ocean's species of Wales, various forms of overfishing and if Corporations were required to go completely eco-clean.

Chevron is a classic case in the SF Bay Area. When I lived there in the late 90s they were smiling and paying a $7 million illegal dumping fee to the EPA instead of fixing their crap and allowing the Bay to be restored for commercial safe fishing solely because they made more in a day than the fine.

The fact so many turn a blind eye to their abuse yet slander Greenpeace speaks volumes to the lack of broad thinking, even in the IT Industry.

P.S. Apple does an above average job but even if I were still there I'd be asking ``What the hell is taking so long?'' on this priority. The resources are available in both financing, materials and staffing to get it done far sooner rather than later guaranteeing Greenpeace isn't going to bitch and put a black eye on them.

No excuses guys. Get it done.

When the new campus goes on-line Apple will most certainly brag about the Green status so shut up and get it done, fellow Alumni.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

They never used to. This sort of thing is new.

Probably because the mainstream media and every blog around splashes this crap data all over the place. Apple's response wasn't so bad. It just said that GP didn't even come close and that they don't know what they are talking about. That is a pretty good message to me.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jumper View Post

I can't believe that Apple would even respond to these idiots. Apple these nuts dont deserve any of your time. They just make up this crap. Forget about them and continue on the same path. It's a good one.

Apple really has to respond. Greenpeace is painting Apple in a very bad light. Sometimes you need to correct blatant errors.

Personally, I'd like to see Apple sue them for libel, but I know that will never happen.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

So, Greenpeace's power consumption projection is off by a factor of five. And They continue to try to paint Apple in a corner. What morons

Jobs was right - Greenpeace would be better served by hiring actual engineers and scientists to do real analysis

Off by 500%! Not even fuc**** close!!! Ha ha. You dumb shits

Well, technically, since you want to argue that Greenpeace is dumb for getting the math wrong, they're only off by 400%. Apple says it's 20 MW, Greenpeace says it's 100 MW - which is 400% more.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by alandail View Post

you would think Greenpeace would be praising the company that's building the largest solar farm and the largest fuel cell installation in the country. THe other companies have to be laughing that they are being praised for actually doing far less.

Greenpeace stopped being about what's good for the environment years ago. Today, they're all about how to gain power and influence and money.

They praise companies who listen to them and flame companies who ignore them.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

Dear GreenPeace,

Your reports are wasting valuable internet space by being pushed through all the news websites especially those seeking to make Apple look bad.

Just think of all the dirty electrons that they've wasted.
  • Reply 29 of 48
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    A non profit organization vs a high tech monster company. Of course you are going to believe the big one and say the small one lies. How american. Bravi.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

There would be no need for GreenPeace if Corporations weren't destroying the Ocean's species of Wales, various forms of overfishing ...

Whalers and fisherman are the new Corporation, y'all!
  • Reply 31 of 48
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    Apple, why even respond? Greenpeace has no credibility. By saying anything in response, you provide them a platform... Just ignore the imbeciles.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    mknoppmknopp Posts: 257member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You all need to stop bellyaching and do your part for the environment. I buy a new hybrid SUV every year and only use disposable plates, bowls and utensils so I can fill up my recycle bin every week. People think I'm Green and that's what counts.

LOL!

Best post EVER!
  • Reply 33 of 48
    Quote:

You all need to stop bellyaching and do your part for the environment. I buy a new hybrid SUV every year and only use disposable plates, bowls and utensils so I can fill up my recycle bin every week. People think I'm Green and that's what counts.

Seriously though, the best way to lower your carbon footprint outside of suicide is to not have kids. I encourage all hippies to follow both parts of my pragmatic advice.

What is the point of this post? I'm part of Greenpeace. Do you imply that I don't really try to consume less in my everyday life? You are wrong. Idealists exist, fortunately. Do you prefer a world that denies global warming, watches biodiversity dramatically decrease without saying nothing?
  • Reply 34 of 48
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

What is the point of this post? I'm part of Greenpeace. Do you imply that I don't really try to consume less in my everyday life? You are wrong. Idealists exist, fortunately. Do you prefer a world that denies global warming, watches biodiversity dramatically decrease without saying nothing?

I prefer a world without hypocrites.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I prefer a world without hypocrites.

You are talking about yourself then.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

You are talking about yourself then.

Of course. At least I don't make a public spectacle of myself while doing it.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Of course. At least I don't make a public spectacle of myself while doing it.

Pfff. LOL

Shame on you
  • Reply 38 of 48
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

1) My point was to make a joke. I entertained myself, that's all that matters.

2) I made no implication about what you do to make yourself feel better about your effects on the world. You should do what's best for you, that's all that matters.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    Quote:

1) My point was to make a joke. I entertained myself, that's all that matters.

2) I made no implication about what you do to make yourself feel better about your effects on the world. You should do what's best for you, that's all that matters.

Agree, but people that try to live in an ecologic way are not only doing it because they think it helps to change the world, they also do it because it does help change the world.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    eduoeduo Posts: 22member
    Quote:

Agree, but people that try to live in an ecologic way are not only doing it because they think it helps to change the world, they also do it because it does help change the world.

Wrong. They do it because they *hope* it helps change the world. No place for categorical statements in something as easily refutable as what most of what the people that "try to live in an ecologic way" actually do.

I won't argue with their intentions, but the original joke cleverly said that most people think "ecology" is a lot simpler than it is, and some "ecologic" actions are actually worse (like buying a hybrid and swapping for a new one frequently) than better alternatives.

So no, ecologic people do what they do because they hope it'll have a positive impact, not because it actually does (it may, it may not, it may only sometimes).