Apple's new 3D Maps in iOS 6 will ditch Google, 'blow your head off'

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 145
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

iPhone XPXPXPalidocious Supercalifragilistic edition is far more idiotic.

If the choices were between that and "iPhone 5", I'd take that.

Similarly, I hate the idea of an Apple television on the face of it, but I will accept its existence only if it's named "iTV". image

• Reply 142 of 145
    hmm888hmm888 Posts: 23member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

All I want is a map.  Something that will load QUICKLY when I need to see where I am and where I'm going.

Another victory for the shiny-objects crowd.  

Same here. Plus, give me better directions and tell me what POI is available along my route. Give me a sensitive GPS chip like in dedicated GPS units eg. SIRF III, SIRF IV.

• Reply 143 of 145
    elmsleyelmsley Posts: 120member

Lots of eye candy, but seriously difficult if you were overlaying streets behind objects.  Most of us don't work for Apple or C3 so we can't take full advantage of this in our helicopters.  When would you ever need to navigate in 3d like this if you were not a city planner, architect, geologist, conspiracy theorist, or terrorist? Google street views I guess is for the practical everyman.

• Reply 144 of 145
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member

*golf clap*

So, 3D maps? Ya'll check this out, THIS will BLOW YOUR HEAD OFF. China has been SimCity'd!

http://map.baidu.com/

http://offbeatchina.com/baidu-3d-map-makes-the-middle-kingdom-one-big-simcountry

HOW COOL IS THIS!?

To date, no one mapping app seems to have it all. Google Nav and Maps do some things okay but the controls and UI are still iffy. Apple's Maps is not as good as Google's, though. Apple doesn't even give you search by voice and narrated turn-by-turn. Although I like how Apple's location "dot" pulses. Also night-mode on Google Nav is awesome. I wish the entire iOS or Android OS had "night mode", it's so helpful at night. Also I don't have an IOS device anymore but I'm guessing StreetView doesn't work in Apple maps (???). I use that in Google Maps on Droid a lot, that's a very nice feature.

I want to see the GUI know-how of old Apple infused with the mobile programmers at new Apple, meet the cartography of ESRI and National Geographic, combined with the power of Google's database and ESRI's GIS data. And Microsoft's birds eye oblique aerial photography. That would be the map to rule them all.

I'm curious...What is everyone here's FAVORITE mapping app? Or top two or three? 

For me, I would say Google Maps (Android), Google Nav (Android).

However, my two other favorite apps are only on iOS and I sure wish they were on Android: iGo My Way Navigation, which does turn by turn offline without data for free which is awesome, and UpNext Cities. The 3D cities in UpNext are awesome, check it out on an iPad!! This app is so amazing. And again, free. These are def. some iOS gems.

• Reply 145 of 145

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How does that make any sense? Not just the fact that it'd be the iPhone 7 (known as "iPhone"), but the fact that Maps is available on all devices. What sense does it make to only have good maps on their newest device and leave everyone else out in the cold with Google Maps?

Ooh… source? That sounds terrible if it's true. 

I totally agree with you! But I guess that is just the way Apple increases its sales...teasing with "new" technology and release the "new" device with which it can be used...

You mean to tell me that Apple did not developped Siri, when the IPhone 4 came out? I'm quite sure they did, but made it come out with the Iphone4S to *kaching* it a littlebit...