83-year-old woman sues Apple after walking into glass retail store door

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 160
    buzzzbuzzz Posts: 84member
    My own sister crashed through a glass door as a kid. And I saw a guy walk into a bus shelter that was made of glass. Neither broke anything however. Stuff always happens like that went you are not paying attention to where you are going or what's in front of you. This reminds me of the woman who sued a mall because she fell into a fountain.
  • Reply 142 of 160
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buzzz View Post

This reminds me of the woman who sued a mall because she fell into a fountain.

It wasn't this woman, was it?
  • Reply 143 of 160
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    I'm sorry, but I find this whole thing hilarious.
  • Reply 144 of 160
    buzzzbuzzz Posts: 84member
    Yep that's her. LOL
  • Reply 145 of 160
    kmareikmarei Posts: 178member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmm View Post

All I have to say is.... don't believe everything you read on the internet. Also at that age it's possible that her vision and depth perception are pretty bad.

But then if her vision is not what it once was, and neither is her depth perception

Maybe walking alone is no longer an option for her

I don't think it's fair to sue apple because her eyesight has gone bad

To the average human being, this glass door is not an issue
  • Reply 146 of 160
    kmareikmarei Posts: 178member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It wasn't this woman, was it?

In the good old days

You could point at that lady and say "dumbass!"

But now, it's our fault for putting a fountain in a shopping mall

maybe we should have mall helpers, that hold our hand and take us from store to store

Warning us of glass doors, fountains, stairs etc
  • Reply 147 of 160
    jmc54jmc54 Posts: 207member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Garamond View Post

*Knock-knock*

Who's there?

Little old lady.

Little old lady who?

I didn't know you could yodel.

not bad!! not bad at all!!!!
  • Reply 148 of 160
    jmc54jmc54 Posts: 207member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Apple should just print a menu for payouts for injuries:

Broken nose: $1 million

Stubbed toe: $650,000

Nosebleed: $450,000

Trip on stairs: $350,000

Static electric discharge: $250,000

Mild discomfort of any kind: free iPod Touch

Mild embarrassment: free $50 iTunes Gift Card

little old lady doing a face plant on a glass door.....Priceless!!
  • Reply 149 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

she broke her nose and she asks 1 million?

1 million????

1 million???

really? 1 million???

even 1000 dollars would be too much!

1 million? lol

In the McDonald's coffee case, the jury awarded Stella Liebeck, the 79-year-old coffee victim, $160,000 to cover medical expenses and compensatory damages and $2.7 million in punitive damages. In the end after several appeals, she ended up settling out of court and received around $600,000. I wonder how must this lady will get from Apple.
  • Reply 150 of 160
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by capoeira4u View Post

In the McDonald's coffee case, the jury awarded Stella Liebeck, the 79-year-old coffee victim, $160,000 to cover medical expenses and compensatory damages and $2.7 million in punitive damages. In the end after several appeals, she ended up settling out of court and received around $600,000. I wonder how must this lady will get from Apple.

The cases are different enough that the McDonald's case isn't much guidance.

While I would never have voted with the jury in the McDonald's case, the fact is that there were hundreds of previous complaints over the same issue. McDonald's was clearly aware that there was an issue and chose to continue to serve coffee at the same temperature (either that, or the local store ignored company policy - which amounts to almost the same thing). Because of that, almost the entire award was punitive.

In this case, there is no history of people walking into glass doors and breaking their nose. That makes it simple negligence (even if the lady wins) and punitive damages are very unlikely to be awarded. So at most, she could recover her medical and legal expenses. But even that is unlikely - since so many millions of people use the store without difficulty.
  • Reply 151 of 160
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The cases are different enough that the McDonald's case isn't much guidance.

While I would never have voted with the jury in the McDonald's case, the fact is that there were hundreds of previous complaints over the same issue. McDonald's was clearly aware that there was an issue and chose to continue to serve coffee at the same temperature (either that, or the local store ignored company policy - which amounts to almost the same thing). Because of that, almost the entire award was punitive.

In this case, there is no history of people walking into glass doors and breaking their nose. That makes it simple negligence (even if the lady wins) and punitive damages are very unlikely to be awarded. So at most, she could recover her medical and legal expenses. But even that is unlikely - since so many millions of people use the store without difficulty.

You don't know that. Those complaints wouldnt be public until a hearing. While if I were betting, I would also guess it wasn't prevalent. But the truth remains- that we don't know. It might come out there are a thousand a year.

The saddest part is depending on the state, the punitive damages are now likely capped. I believe in Texas it's $150k- definately not enough to make them change any policies (or whatever company is found liable for whatever and given punitive damages). Said it once- ill say it again. Tort reform sucks.
  • Reply 152 of 160
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    It's Manhasset.

"I have some great news and some horrible news"

"What?"

"I got an Apple Store job!"

"Fanstastic! What's the bad news?"

"It's in Manhasset."

She's not upset that she broke her nose. She's upset that it smudged her $25,000 nose job.
  • Reply 153 of 160
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

You don't know that. Those complaints wouldnt be public until a hearing. While if I were betting, I would also guess it wasn't prevalent. But the truth remains- that we don't know. It might come out there are a thousand a year.

The saddest part is depending on the state, the punitive damages are now likely capped. I believe in Texas it's $150k- definately not enough to make them change any policies (or whatever company is found liable for whatever and given punitive damages). Said it once- ill say it again. Tort reform sucks.

What does Texas have to do with this complaint?

Furthermore, if there were people walking into Apple stores left and right and breaking their noses, do you really think that you wouldn't have heard anything? For that matter, Apple's not the only store that uses glass windows in the front. Where are all these stories about people walking into windows and breaking their noses?

Clearly, it's not happening often.
  • Reply 154 of 160
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Clearly, it's not happening often.

Now it will be!!! : )
  • Reply 155 of 160
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

Now it will be!!! : )

What we will see now is a spike in the incidence of Android users walking into the doors/walls/etc at Microsoft Stores (do they still have those?) and then Apple suing Samsung for copying their legal defense - and the blogosphere lit up with reports of how Android users are able to collide with stationary objects while using the device without damage - unlike the iOS device users who cannot walk and operate their device at the same time.

(that likely sounded better in my head that it came across in text).
  • Reply 156 of 160
    I feel for Justins mom. People send their children to school to be safe, ffs, and a grown woman jerked around with her little boys heart. Hes going to be fucked up for life.

• Reply 157 of 160
    Sorry but i can't picture it:

Walk into glass door, break nose...

Get payed for breaking your nose...

Maybe i otta go break my nose on an apple store.
  • Reply 158 of 160
    grantogranto Posts: 2member

So I stumbled across this forum after, guess what: breaking my nose on a storefront's glass.  The path to exit the store led right to it (you had to sidestep to the left for the door).  There were no markings on the glass whatsoever, and it looked just like an open frame leading to the vestibule (there was another door to the outside).  And you guys know what?  I wish they would have had some f*ing markings so I could have seen it.  If it takes a couple small lawsuits to implement injury and/or life saving design in business, I'm all for it, and my ugly, bloody, and swollen broken nose would have appreciated it too.  Pretty soon, this stuff gets integrated into building code, and we all win.  No, I don't plan to sue, but only because I don't have the time.  But I'm willing to bet this happens all the time. 

Also, I'm glad to see that a few people here correctly understand Liebeck v. McDonalds.  That lady had third degree burns on her vagina --the water was practically boiling-- and McDonald's wrote a real nasty letter when she asked for them to pay her medical bills from all the skin grafts.  2.6M = 2 days worth of coffee revenue, what's the big f'n deal?  Are you really so protective of the corporation?  It's always the same hyperjudgmental, but probably fat, ugly, and stupid middle aged Missourian in the f'ing service industry who feels so self-righteous that indignation is his kneejerk response.  Let us protect ourselves, including you, you dumb jerks.

p.s. Apple blows, get a real machine and go Linux. 

• Reply 159 of 160
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    grant wrote: »
    p.s. Apple blows, get a real machine and go Linux. 

Hi, troll. Bye, troll.
  • Reply 160 of 160
    grantogranto Posts: 2member

was only a joke, career forum dude.  Mac away.