Os lion performance problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Ever since I upgrade to Mac os lion, the performance gets worse and worse. Open an application like pages requires around 15 seconds and if I get multiple things open, the computer sometimes stop responding. My model is mid-2010 MacBook, I upgrade the RAM to 5gb, but it just has a minor improvement. Can someone help me please? Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    How'd you manage 5GB of RAM?

Does the system report it all properly?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

If that's the case, it's most likely non-matching RAM. I experienced similar issues on Lion after adding 3rd party RAM to my existing set. Fairly often during heavy use, the system hangs for a few seconds and I think it is switching clock speed or something to address each type of RAM.

The takeaway would be to get all your RAM at the same time. Either when ordering a new Mac, or replace all sticks with fresh ones.

• Reply 3 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    How'd you manage 5GB of RAM?

4 + 1 = ? (iPhone 5) : P

It probably shipped with 2 x 1GB so buying a single 4GB DIMM takes it to 5GB.
    vorsos wrote:
    If that's the case, it's most likely non-matching RAM

The RAM upgrade was done to counter the slow-down caused by the Lion upgrade though. Non-matching RAM would affect integrated graphics but anything else should be ok.

I'd say start in safe mode by holding shift and see if apps still have the slow down then reboot back into normal mode. If the slow down persists, try making a new user account and see if it's any better. If there is still no improvement check the console log to see if something is dumping error messages.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    In any case non-matching RAM is not a good idea. Good luck dude. Honestly an SSD is the best. With 8GB RAM and SSD, a 2010 Mac is very capable for Lion.