Inside OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion: Safari 5.2 gets a simplified user interface with new sharing feature

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arlomedia View Post

Okay, that makes sense. So the browser code has logic that determines whether to do a direct navigation or perform a search based on the content that was input ... that should be pretty seamless. I guess the only time this would fail is if I actually wanted to search Google for a domain name rather than navigate to it, or maybe do a specialized search like link:appleinsider.com, but I could always just navigate to Google and do that kind of stuff from there.

A good regular expression is all they need to process the difference between a URL and a search, so no fuss there. This probably would limit your ability to search Google for a domain name without extra steps (e.g. searching for Google and then searching for the domain name in the new Google page) but I'm having some trouble figuring out why someone might really want to do that. If you're looking for links to a page the 'link:' syntax, as you mentioned, should do the trick. And I would expect the added convenience, once a person is used to the unified search bar, should make up for the occasional domain search someone might actually be inclined to do.
  • Reply 82 of 88
    jccjcc Posts: 326member
    What about the Private Browsing button? They should include that so we may put it right on the toolbar so that we don't have to constantly dig into the menus to turn it on. It's one of the most useful functions.
  • Reply 83 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What's that? The search engine that you're using to find stuff knows what you're typing into it to find stuff?

Search engines were capturing what you typed into the URL bar already. Or, alternately, they won't be doing it with the new setup. Believe whichever you want to believe.

Google exists on the Internet. Your privacy has already been invaded.

Please stop this.

Currently, typing "www.appleinsdier.com" into the address bar will take you to the web site. When the address bar and search bar are combined, typing that will also send the address to Google, Yahoo, or Microsoft for auto-completion. There are going to be a lot of situations (personal and corporate) where that's not OK.

"Google exists on the Internet. Your privacy has already been invaded." - Lamest quote ever.
  • Reply 84 of 88
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kevin McMurtrie View Post

"Google exists on the Internet. Your privacy has already been invaded." - Lamest quote ever.

And with what about it don't you agree?
  • Reply 85 of 88
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

Not sure why people hate the unified search/address bar. I've been hoping that the feature would come to Safari for a little while now. Maybe someone can explain why there would be any degree of conflict? I imagine it would be easier to use for typical computer users as well.

The problem I have with it is that if i want to search for something I use the Search bar.  I can no longer just type in the name of a company like att and the browser automatically adds the .com or will cycle through other options.  I now get a search when I hit enter if its not in my bookmarks. I now have to look through a google page.  I hated this when I used windows machines because it requires an unnecessary step.  Really two.  Finding the right link and then clicking it.  If google gets it wrong because a similarly named sight has paid for an ad that they show first then it really sucks.  I hate it!

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 86 of 88
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin McMurtrie View Post

Currently, typing "www.appleinsdier.com" into the address bar will take you to the web site. 

No, it won't. It takes you to the Hundai website.

Quote:

When the address bar and search bar are combined, typing that will also send the address to Google, Yahoo, or Microsoft for auto-completion

Oh, but you can shut that off entirely.

• Reply 87 of 88
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member

Quote:

Originally Posted by foljs View Post

What are you guys talking about?

The integrated search/url is one of the reasons that make Chrome great, something most reviewers have pointed out.

For me it's a pain point that keeps me from using Safari.

Have you tried it for a while, or it's just a case of "anything different is stupid" thing?

The actions are exactly the same: I write something and the browser shows me something based on what I wrote. P

This will make me stop using it.  This is something I HATE in Chrome.  There are a number of instances where this is a stupid move that removes quite a few features we had before.  One is the ability to type in the name of a company or just the main part of a url without www or .com and safari would figure out where to go.  If there was no .com it would go to .net or .org.  This no longer functions.  Now you end up with a google search which I really don't want them having access to every website I choose to go to. The other is since its integrated.  If I start to type in a search and realize I would prefer it opened in a different tab, I can no longer just click in the search box and then click the add tab button.  With separate boxes my search field is preserved.  These are just a few issues that I hated not being able to do in Chrome.

• Reply 88 of 88
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member

Solip I agree..It's frustrating to be bombarded by websites telling me they have an "app". Though I would not mind if I could just check a box saying "Thanks, do not remind me again." 

I do NOT want a Citibank app or some other sensitive app on my phone accessing other info. The lines between work, home, entertainment, finance, etc. are blurring on mobile platforms. For some, it is good and worth the convenience. For me personally I'm not adopting this approach, at least yet, until I'm satisfied apps can be trusted (might be a while or never). I love how Google shows what permissions apps need. However it seems like almost ALL apps ask for way too many. So the options are either do not use them, or be left wondering what they're doing. Is Citibank accessing my Facebook app, which is accessing my call log? I don't know. 

But it seems like every site has an "app" now. Why not just focus on making a GOOD mobile site. For example the Chase website is great. Nice big buttons, simple interface, little amount of text. Good design. Facebook's site is decent, but it is missing functionality from the desktop site for no reason. I often use the desktop site on my phone.

Anyhow the new Safari sounds interesting, I generally like the sounds of it. I hope it fixes that bug where if you leave pages open for a while in tabs when you click back to them they reload (they do not stay cached) and it would also be nice if hitting the back button didn't show a blank page once you disconnect. (I have spotty wifi reception.)

I love that Google and Apple are in a way really helping each other and the community with WebKit. Every time I open IE I am just appalled at how ugly it is and how difficult the UI is. Each version gets worse, too. I hope WebKit beats IE into the ground. Sure competition is good. I just hope it inspires Apple and Google to make a far better product. IE is still extremely fast in performance and also has a lot of options and preferences that WebKit could stand to gain. But I mainly use whatever browser has the best GUI. For now that's Safari. It has been for a while. One thing I wish Safari would copy from Firefox would be the option to use site favicons in the bookmark bar as an option, unless it's there and I'm missing it...