Mac Mini 2009 upgrade guide

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    This thread and an older one were both helpful for me, but I found a video by OWC that ended up being even better. If you can watch video while installing new RAM in your Mac Mini I highly recommend this:

<

I think the video is better because it shows you how to open the case and remove the drive with fewer disconnections than the guide above.
  • Reply 42 of 50
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joeblowjapan View Post

This thread and an older one were both helpful for me, but I found a video by OWC that ended up being even better. If you can watch video while installing new RAM in your Mac Mini I highly recommend this:

<

I think the video is better because it shows you how to open the case and remove the drive with fewer disconnections than the guide above.

OWC rocks
  • Reply 43 of 50
    Apple will not upgrade mac minis and according to them, upgrading it yourself voids the warranty. Which means opening it at all voids it.
  • Reply 44 of 50
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Se7enwolf View Post

Apple will not upgrade mac minis and according to them, upgrading it yourself voids the warranty. Which means opening it at all voids it.

That's not correct. Apple won't cover any damage caused to the machine during the upgrade but doing an upgrade will not void your warranty. This is stated in their warranty documents and has been verified a number of times with Apple employees, even with the new 2010 models.
  • Reply 45 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

That's not correct. Apple won't cover any damage caused to the machine during the upgrade but doing an upgrade will not void your warranty. This is stated in their warranty documents and has been verified a number of times with Apple employees, even with the new 2010 models.

I've talked to several different apple reps and employees that told me even opening it will void it and the mac minis are not ment to be upgraded. I even showed them what the apple site says and the warranty thing and they said it the upgrades are only for made to order products meaning you can custom order a mac computer with a certain amount of ram and hard drive space.

The reps at the apple store also said that they do not upgrade mac minis. They are set as is.
  • Reply 46 of 50
    csawscsaws Posts: 11member
    Ordered my 250 GB Travelstar today will be using your directions on Tuesday. This 60 gb drive is full and I am over it.

Changed my order to the 320 GB 7200 rpm one
  • Reply 47 of 50
    Good Thank For you SoMuch!
  • Reply 48 of 50
    krystykrysty Posts: 5member
    yeah this may be older but quite informative.
  • Reply 49 of 50

Nice guide. I found my mac mini late 2009 so slow. Interested for an upgrade. Have some questions:

1. What is the RAM configuration you have used? 2 GB + 2GB, or 4GB in a single slot. You said it do not support more than 4GB. So it will not support 4GB + 4GB = 8 GB RAM. Do it support only one slot RAM, e.g. 4GB in a single slot?

2. I have update OS X 10.6.2 to OS X mavericks. Did I do the right thing? Is that have special effect on low speed? Is it possible to downgrade to OS  X 10.8? Will it make it better speedy?

Thanks.

• Reply 50 of 50
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    ashraf wrote: »
    1. What is the RAM configuration you have used? 2 GB + 2GB, or 4GB in a single slot. You said it do not support more than 4GB. So it will not support 4GB + 4GB = 8 GB RAM. Do it support only one slot RAM, e.g. 4GB in a single slot?

There seems to be a compatible 8GB option now:

http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=E36E65ADA5CA7304

You could put 4GB in one slot but integrated graphics gets a higher memory bandwidth using matched memory.
    ashraf wrote: »
    2. I have update OS X 10.6.2 to OS X mavericks. Did I do the right thing? Is that have special effect on low speed? Is it possible to downgrade to OS  X 10.8? Will it make it better speedy?

The latest version is fine. One of the best ways to improve the responsiveness of the machine is to use a solid state drive instead of the hard drive:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-EVO-Series-2-5-Inch-MZ-7TE250BW/dp/B00E3W1726
    http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-Series-2-5-Inch-MZ-7PD256BW/dp/B009NB8WRU

The EVO uses less reliable memory but it would be fine for average use.