Apple issues new Boot Camp Support Software, updates Compressor with bug fixes

Posted:
in Mac Software edited February 2014
Apple on Tuesday released new Boot Camp Support Software for 64-bit versions of Windows 7 and Window 8, as well as an update for Compressor that brings a handful of bug fixes and stability improvements to the professional-level video encoding and formatting software.

Boot Camp Support Software

Boot Camp

Apple issued two versions of its Boot Camp Support Software on Tuesday, both of which contain Windows Support Software (Windows Drivers) needed to run 64-bit versions of Windows 7 and Windows 8 on Intel-based Macs.

Boot Camp Support Software version 5.1.5640 covers mid-2013 MacBook Airs, late-2013 MacBook Pro with Retina display models and late-2013 iMacs.

A second iteration of the software, version 5.1.5621, should be downloaded for users of the following Macs:
  • MacBook Air (11-inch & 13-inch, Mid 2011)
  • MacBook Air (11-inch & 13-inch, Mid 2012)
  • MacBook Pro (15-inch & 17-inch, Mid 2010)
  • MacBook Pro (13-inch, & 15-inch, Early 2011)
  • MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2011)
  • MacBook Pro (13-inch,15-inch & 17-inch Late 2011)
  • MacBook Pro (13-inch & 15-inch, Mid 2012)
  • MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)
  • MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012)
  • MacBook Pro (Retina, Early 2013)
  • MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2013)
  • Mac Pro (Early 2009)
  • Mac Pro (Mid 2010)
  • Mac Pro (Mid 2012)
  • Mac Pro (Late 2013)
  • Mac mini (Mid 2011)
  • Mac mini (Late 2012)
  • iMac (27-inch, Quad Core, Late 2009)
  • iMac (21.5-inch & 27-inch, Mid 2010)
  • iMac (21.5-inch & 27-inch, Mid 2011)
  • iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2011)
  • iMac (21.5-inch & 27-inch, Late 2012)
Both iterations of the latest Boot Camp Support Software come as .zip files, with the 942.6MB version 5.1.5640 and 924.9MB version 5.1.5621 available as free downloads from Apple's Support Downloads website.

Compressor

With Compressor 4.1.1, Apple addresses problems users have seen when installing the encoding and video output utility on systems where Qmaster was previously enabled. Also fixed are distributed encoding errors that would crop up when source files were not present on the startup volume.

Compressor

Also resolved are stability issues when using multiple Compressor plug-ins, problems when viewing plug-in settings without the plug-in installed and an error that could cause a system to hang when batch encoding.

In addition to the bug fixes, the new version improves stability of transferring files from Final Cut Pro X via Send to Compressor, as well as other general improvements.

Existing Compressor users can download version 4.1.1 from the Mac App Store or Software Update, while new users can purchase the software for $49.99.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    llamallama Posts: 102member
    What are the Product ID's and/or file sizes for those using Server Update Caching? There are 2 Boot Camp updates from yesterday, but the description does not list the version (or targeted hardware) and the sizes are both larger than the size listed above.
  • Reply 2 of 7

…both of which contain Windows Support Software (Windows Drivers) needed to run 64-bit versions of Windows 7 and Windows 8 on Intel-based Macs.

Really? Been doing that since Windows 7 came out, and now Windows 8. Never had a problem.

Maybe now the drivers for my graphics card will ACTUALLY WORK AT BOOT, however.

• Reply 3 of 7
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Have they made the trackpad drivers not suck yet? Is there something seriously different about Windows low level system i/o that makes it impossible to code the drivers for the track pad in such a way that operating it on Windows is even remotely comfortable and similar to how it behaves in Mac OS ? I know, I know, I hate Windows, but jeeze, you'd think it wouldn't be impossible from an engineering standpoint, even in Windows. If it's impossible, Microsoft deserves this era of dwindling relevance of Windows.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    PaulDXBPaulDXB Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Why can't we have a bootcamp patch to enable windows to install from a USB port on a late iMac 2009 i have no optical drive like most people (replaced with a SSD) and it will not install unless the original windows iso disk is in the optical drive. Im sure Apple could write a simple patch.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    PaulDXB said:
    Why can't we have a bootcamp patch to enable windows to install from a USB port on a late iMac 2009 i have no optical drive like most people (replaced with a SSD) and it will not install unless the original windows iso disk is in the optical drive. Im sure Apple could write a simple patch.
    Apple has a list of supported USB boot models in one of the files in the Bootcamp assistant, the earliest is 2011 iMacs. Right-click the Boot Camp Assistant app, show package contents, then open Contents/info.plist in an editor. You can use plain text editors like TextEdit but it's better to use XML editors like prefsetter ( http://www.nightproductions.net/prefsetter.html ). There are guides on editing the file to force the app to support older computer models but this can stop the app working so back it up (e.g right-click compress the app):

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5479879?tstart=0
    http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php/topic/51873-enable-create-a-windows-usb-install-disk-in-bootcamp-assistant-for-mountain-lion/

This will enable the option to create a bootable USB drive from an ISO. The Bootcamp app isn't needed to install Windows, that's only needed for partitioning and creating a bootable USB drive. If you are able to partition the drive and make a valid bootable USB drive (I find a hard drive works better than pen drives for boot support), you can just hold alt/option at boot and choose the USB drive as the installer.

If this still won't boot, the machine might have a firmware limitation when it comes to booting USB devices but all Intel Macs should be ok. If you ever manage to get Bootcamp setup ok, apps like Winclone ( https://twocanoes.com/products/mac/winclone ) can backup and restore the partition to make it easier in future.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Bringing pro-level features I long ago paid for in QuickTime 7 into the latest version would be nice. I'd be willing to pay for it again!