Macbook Pro screen falling apart

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited July 2015
My Macbook Pro screen started falling apart: the silver cover is pulling away from the display assembly. It makes the top not lineup with the main keyboard area when you close the lid.

Has anybody had the same type of experience? I think it's about 2 years old. I would like to know if anybody knows what is involved in the repair, and maybe how much it might cost? Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Apple wanted $1200 to replace the whole display assembly! Found out it was a known design defect (go ahead- open your Macbook Pro display all the way and you will see it interferes with the main laptop body), so they are going to fix it for free!!!!)

I may be talking to myself here, but wanted to post in case somebody else runs into the same problem.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    I have a 15" MBP from mid 2006. Apart from about 4 years of minor wear and tear, nothing is falling apart. It's humming along just fine.

Glad they are going to fix it for you.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Update: I took into the Apple store for them to replace the screen assembly.

While I was there, I checked out the newer Macbook Pros on dislplay. I opened up the screens all the way, and they do not interfere with the body, so obviously they fixed the design flaw. I was also surprised that they do the work there at the Apple store - I thought they had to send back to Apple. I'm still waiting for them to call me...
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NewMacMan View Post

Update: I took into the Apple store for them to replace the screen assembly.

While I was there, I checked out the newer Macbook Pros on dislplay. I opened up the screens all the way, and they do not interfere with the body, so obviously they fixed the design flaw. I was also surprised that they do the work there at the Apple store - I thought they had to send back to Apple. I'm still waiting for them to call me...

They can do the work at the store, but they probably had to order parts.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Which models are affected?

Quote:

Apple wanted $1200 to replace the whole display assembly! Found out it was a known design defect (go ahead- open your Macbook Pro display all the way and you will see it interferes with the main laptop body), so they are going to fix it for free!!!!)

I may be talking to myself here, but wanted to post in case somebody else runs into the same problem.

• Reply 6 of 13
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

This is when you deal with a reliable company. Not like the other jokers out there.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

This is when you deal with a reliable company. Not like the other jokers out there.

I believe this is what happens when you run a very low volume of hardware compared to the "jokers" out there.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    scgscg Posts: 5member
    Can you msg me privately or post a case number please?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

• Reply 9 of 13

My Macbook pro is at least 4-5yrs old and cover / screen is separating from the keyboard.  It's been happening for a couple months, though now it's getting worse. I'll try taking it in on my next day off. 

• Reply 10 of 13
    My screen is also separating. I made one visit to the Genius Bar and was told it could be fixed on my dime. I went home to contemplate my options and now have the sense that this may be a design flaw. Any ideas on how to get Apple to do the honorable thing? This machine is only about four years old and it has not been misused. Thanks
  • Reply 11 of 13
    How did you resolve this problem?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

Forget it. You are on your own on this one.Four years old are you kidding?

• Reply 13 of 13
    mlandsmlands Posts: 1member

Were you covered by Apple Protection when this happened? I've had the same problems with the screen separating from the shell, but not until I owned the laptop (15" MBP) for 5 years. I tried the genius bar but they insisted I have mishandled the laptop. The store manager said if he had some specific locations and names or work order numbers for anyone with the same problem he would do more to get it fixed, though he also said they had no record of this problem happening... For those of you who were able to get this separation issue fixed through the genius bar, would you mind sharing some information with me so I can try and get mine fixed?