Next-generation Apple Watch rumored to boast more sensors, fitness capabilities

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited March 2015
The Apple Watch won't hit stores until next year, but a report on Thursday is already saying the next iteration will come packed with more sensors and fitness-oriented functionality.

Apple Watch Complications

While it may seem like a foregone conclusion that Apple would build its wearable's capabilities, a report from Reuters adds context, saying the company is moving to position a next-gen version as a health and wellness aid.

Sources familiar with Apple's plans claim future hardware revisions will be revealed alongside "richer health features" powered by advanced sensors.

Announced at a special event on Tuesday, Apple Watch will come with a number of built-in sensors when it launches in early 2015. iOS device owners are likely familiar with the wearable's accelerometer and gyroscope, which measure movement, but Apple is introducing a completely new element with its custom heart rate sensor.

Unlike conductive-type sensors, Apple created an optical system that combines light data gathered from both visible and infrared spectrums. Other smartwatches have employed variations of optical sensing systems, but Apple's combination of LEDs and photodiodes is unique to Apple Watch.

Not incorporated into the design are power-hungry components like GPS and cellular radios, though Apple Watch can access such data by piggy-backing off a connected iPhone. Apple is looking into new methods of activity quantification, however, as seen in the new iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, both of which sport a new M8 motion coprocessor that can measure stairs climbed via a built-in barometer.

Fitness was definitely considered with Apple Watch, as the device's operating system features dedicated assets for counting steps, tracking workouts and even monitoring how long a user stands during the day. There is room for improvement, however, and Apple could possibly integrate HealthKit app tie-ins or more granular analytics of generated motion.

AppleInsider was able to spend some hands-on time with the upcoming device and found the hardware to be up to Apple's high-quality standards. There are a few issues left unanswered, however, including battery life, time to charge and exact specs on waterproofing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 82

I refuse to believe this rumor. It’s like saying the iPhone 7 (10th iPhone) will have better hardware and more software features than the iPhone 6. NONSENSE!

• Reply 2 of 82

Never buy first gen.

• Reply 3 of 82
    Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Never buy first gen.

I always buy first gen.

I have a first gen iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, iPod nano... great stuff.

• Reply 4 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I refuse to believe this rumor. It’s like saying the iPhone 7 (10th iPhone) will have better hardware and more software features than the iPhone 6. NONSENSE!

I slept on it, and you were right: the Apple watch is a great device. I personally have zero use for it, but for Apple, it's fantastic being that they will have the highest profit margins of any product Apple sells.

• Reply 5 of 82
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Never buy first gen.

Don't even buy 8th gen, I heard a rumor from the far east (thats my AI talk) that the next iPhone will actually have more features than the iPhone 6

• Reply 6 of 82
    So the true colours are revealed.

I knew that Cook was a health and fitness nut, and this is his baby.

Ah well, at least it makes for an easier decision. Here's to Apple Watch 3.
  • Reply 7 of 82
    hentaiboy wrote: »
    Never buy first gen.

Nonsense.

Your utility function is not universal.
  • Reply 8 of 82
    One thing I noticed during the presentation, an inconsistency.
    The new iPhones were demoed to be able to acknowledge a payment only through the use of Touch ID. The new apple watch was also shown to be able to be waved in front of an NFC device for payment. So my thought is that the watch contains NFC, but why and how is there an inconsistency in the need to authenticate with ones finger print via Touch ID?
  • Reply 9 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Agree. This is total bullshit crafted to stop people from buying the first version, probably a lie floated by Samsung and fed to Reuters.

Nice going AI.

• Reply 10 of 82
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    If you never buy something because the next gen is going to be better then you'll never buy anything ever. At the keynote Tim Cook indicated there was stuff they didn't show off. My guess is there's stuff that wasn't ready to show or that Apple purposely wants to save for launch, to keep an element of surprise. Since the product isn't available yet Apple can pick and choose what they want to show off without anyone discovering other things. Still blows my mind how much of this they were able to keep secret, especially the WatchOS and WatchSDK.
  • Reply 11 of 82
    While I see others wanted an iPhone on their wrist and tons of sensors... To each his own, that's fine, but for me personally, just need something like this-

garmin vivosmart

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/prod154886.html

IMO- Apple could have gone minimalist and much better design than Garmin with no battery worries. Other 'wearables' (eg heart monitor strap) sensors and Apps on my iPhone handle the rest. (And do not need/want the 'big' phone either)

Apple watch Nano anyone?

YMMV
  • Reply 12 of 82
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Agree. This is total bullshit crafted to stop people from buying the first version, probably a lie floated by Samsung and fed to Reuters.

Nice going AI.
    There's a lot of FUD around this watch but I think Apple will have the last laugh. They've hired some of the best people in the fashion industry to sell this and they have the benefit of their own retail stores which others don't. With Angela Ahrendts and Paul Deneve running the retail strategy I think this device will sell better than expected.
  • Reply 13 of 82
    AppleWatch is interesting but not for me. I wear a watch 24x7 including in the shower and swimming, which I do every day. And I never take it off. I'll wait until generation xxxx to consider.
  • Reply 14 of 82
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AWilliams87 View Post

I slept on it, and you were right: the Apple watch is a great device. I personally have zero use for it, but for Apple, it's fantastic being that they will have the highest profit margins of any product Apple sells.

No, you didn't "sleep on it" since your response was 1 min after his, which means its doubtful you thought about it for 5 seconds. Also, how can you have any clue of what profit margins the Apple watch has, let alone that ridiculous conclusion you just made?

Oh, and this story is complete horse-shit. I doubt even Apple has a damn clue of what the next edition of the watch will bring, since no doubt there's a shit-ton they need to figure out about the first one before it launches in several months. They don't have the luxury of planning the 2nd one yet, and any report that they've already decided on stuff pertaining to Gen 2 is complete trash. Shame on AI for publishing this drivel. 

• Reply 15 of 82
    slurpy wrote: »

No, you didn't "sleep on it" since your response was 1 min after his, which means its doubtful you thought about it for 5 seconds. Also, how can you have any clue of what profit margins the Apple watch has, let alone that ridiculous conclusion you just made?

Ok, he 'power napped' on it.
  • Reply 16 of 82
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,631member
    It does seem like the first gen is the quickest that stops getting updates and is just the "let's get this done and out the door" no matter how revolutionary it is.

The first iPhone was great, but the big improvement came with the 3G for data speed.

The iPad 1 was dropped so fast by Apple. I don't think it got more than one iOS update. The iPad 2 is still supported after 3 years.

The first power PC Mac. Ugh. Slower than the previous 680x0 Mac because of the lack of native OS code and software.

The first intel imac... Not 64 bit like the second.

Was OSX even usable before version 10.1?

It always seems like there's a bigger transition to the second generation that sets a course that is more sustained. They learn so much from the first to improve the second generation.

And I freakin' want the new Apple Watch, dammit! No money left after ordering the iPhone 6 Plus, though.
  • Reply 17 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

You should do more research before making silly comments.

From yesterday:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AWilliams87 View Post

I'm 100% in the same camp as that guy, but perhaps we lack imagination. I would contend that it is the Apple watch which lacks imagination but whatever.

So, now he slept on it and thought about the Apple Watch differently.

• Reply 18 of 82

If I remember correctly, AI published a rumor about the iPhone 6 the week after the iPhone 5S was released for sale.

In this case though, "the next version" is not "the next iteration". I suspect Apple will be creating multiple versions of wearable devices that just happen to display time.

Reuters wanted to be the first organization to push a new rumor since there really cannot be anymore rumors about the iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus and Apple Watch.

We still have iPad, iPad Mini and iPad Plus (did I call the name first?) to read about.

And, lets not forget about an Apple television, Apple game box, Apple whatever... Calling Gene Muenster! Calling Gene Muenster!! :-)))

• Reply 19 of 82
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member

I always buy first gen.

I buy every generation of all Apple products it seems looking in my office closet.
  • Reply 20 of 82

I always buy first gen.

I buy every generation of all Apple products it seems looking in my office closet.

Ah; thinking outside the closet. Good stuff.