Rounding up the newest protective cases & keyboards for your iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3

Posted:
in iPad edited November 2014
Though Apple's iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 just launched this week and many protective cases have yet to hit the market, there are still a handful of early case options available for purchase in addition to Apple's. Here are some of the first options available to protect your brand new iPad.

Belkin QODE keyboards & covers

Belkin has a whole array of keyboards and covers for the iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 ready to go for the holidays. Most notably, its three QODE keyboards are thin and lightweight folios designed for both new iPad models.

The QODE Ultimate Pro Keyboard and QODE Ultimate Keyboard are iPad Air 2-specific models, featuring aircraft-grade aluminum. The "Pro" model features an improved key layout and backlit keys with three brightness levels, and will sell for $150, while the base model runs $130. Both are said to ship in December.

Belkin also continues to offer the QODE Slim Style Keyboard, which the company says is compatible with both the iPad Air 2 and iPad Air. It retails for $79.99, but can be found for $47 at Amazon, and unlike the new QODE models that are yet to ship, this one is currently available.

In addition, Belkin still offers folio-style covers that it says fit the iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3. They include the Slim Style Case/Cover for all iPad mini models, as well as a Slim Style Case/Cover that fits both the iPad Air 2 and iPad Air.

Finally, Belkin's Stripe Cover, Classic Strap Cover, and Chambray Cover are all said to fit the iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 with their respective models.

Kensington KeyFolio Thin X2 iPad Air 2 Bluetooth Keyboard Case

Meanwhile, Kensington has announced its KeyFolio Thin X2 iPad Air 2 Bluetooth Keyboard Case in 3 styles: standard ($89.99), PowerLift with battery to charge your iPhone ($99.99), and Blacklit with white LED key lighting for easy typing in darkened conditions ($99.99). Each are expected to begin shipping next month and are available for pre-order.

Casetify

Buyers who prefer a little more customization will find it at Casetify, a company that lets you print Instagram photos onto 2.5-millimeter thin snap-style iPad cases. If your Instagram account isn't up to snuff, Casetify also allows you to choose from a variety of pre-made designs. Although the company has yet to roll out its redesigned iPad Air 2 covers, it continues to offer customization for iPad mini with Retina covers, which are compatible with the new iPad mini 3.

Exclusive Discount: AI readers save 10% on all Casetify orders when using this link and applying coupon code APPINSIDER at checkout.

WaterField Designs Outback Slip Case

If you're just looking for a case to carry your iPad rather than keep it covered at all times, consider the WaterField Designs Outback Slip Cases for iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3. These are made out of natural, rugged waxed canvas and premium, naturally tanned leather.

The sporty carrying cases are designed for both personal or casual work use, and feature a softly padded interior and rigid plastic insert for extra protection. The cases also feature a magnetically secured leather strap to keep the iPad in place, as well as a lower "grab tab" that allows users to easily remove the iPad.

The bags are made in San Francisco, and sell for $59 for the iPad mini 3, and $69 for the iPad Air 2. The snug cases are designed for "naked" iPad use, as well as iPads with Apple Smart Covers attached.

X-Doria Engage Folio and SmartStyle

X-Doria has a series of new cases redesigned for the iPad Air 2, starting with its $39.99 SmartStyle model, which features a durable waxed canvas cover that wraps from front to back. It also features an elastic band that holds the cover shut, and integrated stand functionality that folds into an upright position for typing.

The Engage Folio for iPad Air 2 runs $34.99, and has a hard polycarbonate back to protect the iPad. The look of the iPad can still be seen, however, thanks to an anti-scratch coating. Both it and the SmartStyle feature magnets that automatically wake and sleep the iPad.

ClamCase Pro

ClamCase has redesigned its keyboard case for the iPad Air 2, offering compatibility with Apple's new, slimmer design. The company is also planning to sell a "Special Edition Gold" version to match the new gold iPad Air.

In addition, a gold version of the smaller ClamCase for iPad mini 3 is also available. ClamCase is banking on enterprise customers drawn to the new Touch ID fingerprint-based security who want physical keyboards for getting work done.

ClamCase features a 360-degree hinge, a lightweight and low-profile design, and is made of polycarbonate and anodized aluminum.

Interested customers can provide their email address to ClamCase in order to be notified when the new models are available. Prices have not yet been announced.

Griffin Slim Air Folio

Griffin carries over its Slim Air Folio case from last year with compatibility for the iPad Air 2. The case is a folding design with a hard front cover and soft interior lining for protection against bumps and scratches.

Cutouts in the material give easy access to physical buttons, ports and the rear-facing iSight camera. Like other cases in the roundup, the Slim Air Folio converts into a stand for propping the iPad up in both landscape and portrait orientations by flipping over the bifold cover and securing it with a special flap integrated into the case back.

The Slim Air Folio costs $29.99 and comes in black, blue and red from Griffin's website.

An iPad mini 3 version of the same case can be had for a deep discount on Amazon, priced at only $7.99.

KAYSCASE

For minimalists, KAYSCASE offers a super slim thermoplastic-polyurethane (TPU) back case for iPad Air 2 to protect against minor scuffs and bumps. The top portion of the molded shell extends beyond the screen to prevent damage when dropped, while the soft material absorbs shocks.

The case is designed with cutout for physical controls and a space for attaching Apple's Smart Cover.

The KAYSCASE for iPad Air 2 runs $9.99 and is available in black and clear colors.

Pad & Quill

For those seeking a higher-end option, longtime bespoke case maker Pad & Quill is rolling out a new Contega model crafted specifically for the latest iPads. Handmade from birch, the Contega Linen is 22 percent thinner than the same case made for iPad Air last year, but features the firm's strongest wood cradle yet.

Fashioned to look like a book, the exterior is wrapped in tough buckram cloth with a flip-cover sporting multiple grooves for propping up the iPad at different viewing angles. Inside is Pad & Quill's usual cloth bindery and rubberized pads to hold the device in place without straps or harnesses.

Special channels in the wooden cradle reflect sound toward the user, while magnets embedded in the cover support iPad's automatic wake/sleep function. Finally, a porthole milled into the case back allows camera access.

The Contega Linen comes out in mid-November for $99.99 and is being offered in cranberry linen with slate gray interior or gray tweed with deep blue interior. An iPad mini 3 version is out now for $89.99 in the same color patterns.

Pad & Quill is also revamping the Walden series for both iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 with a simplistic flip-cover design and simulated leather wrap. Instead of a wood cradle, the Walden holds onto the iPad with a clean release grip made by 3M that can be washed and reused.

Walden is similar to a Moleskine notebook in that both sport a minimalist hard cover with elastic band closure.

Both Walden models are priced at $49.99, though the iPad Air 2 version is slated to ship in November. The iPad mini 3 model is available now.

At the top end, Pad & Quill offers the Aria, a full-grain leather case with birch wood cradle, Sure-Lock device grips, magnetic sleep/wake switch and bifold design for laptop use. Like the Contega, the Aria's frame is 22 percent thinner and features routed channels for optimal sound flow.

The handmade Aria comes in dark chocolate and whiskey brown colors and will cost $129.99 when it ships in late November.

Targus

Finally, Targus has listed a number of new cases on Amazon for Pre-Order, which are expected to begin shipping in 2-4 weeks. Among them are the Targus 3D Protection Case and Stand for iPad Air 2 ($39.99), Targus Vustyle Case with Customizable Viewing Angles for iPad Air 2 ($39.99), Targus Geo Foliostand Case and Stand for iPad Air 2 ($34.99), and Targus MediaVu Sound-Enhancing Case and Stand for iPad Air 2 ($39.99).

Readers looking for a recent roundup of available case options for the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus can see our earlier roundup. Both roundups will be updated as new cases become available on the market.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

No case for me thanks!

My iPad Air 2 looks mighty nice naked.

• Reply 2 of 15
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    And where are the keyboard cases by Logitech? Theirs are the best around IMO in terms of layout, battery life, and key tactile feel while typing... I have one of them for my Mini 2, and it rocks!

BTW, I just noticed that most of those cases are holding first-gen Air's, which means they won't fit properly on the new model, what's up with that?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    I understand poeple want to protect their purchase with cases but some of these just add so much thickness it kind of defeats the purpose of such a lightweight device it seems. Some of the keyboard cases add functionality but take away from some of the versatility of just holding the iPad and using it.

There really has to be a much easier way to move easily between different modes of use.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    I currently have a ClamCase for my iPad 3. It's a great setup giving a case for the iPad and a faux-MacBook keyboard. I didn't get it new, but off of eBay...spilled some soda on the keyboard and it was done. Bought another busted ClamCase for cheap on eBay with working keyboard and swapped it in (it's a plus that they're easy to take apart and replace parts).

The quality overall is not amazing (one of the rubber feet on the palmrest came off and warped so it wont sit back down properly and I've seen tons on eBay with busted hinges...mine is still solid thankfully) and I'm not sure it's worth the retail price, but it does work well and looks good if a bit chunky in places.

I like that they slimmed down their design for the Pro, but there are some things they could incorporate that might make their products more impressive for the price...like backlit keyboards or the like the Brydge which has a model(s) that incorporates a built in speaker (iPads, like most Apple iDevices just don't have amazing built-in speakers...as much as we love them...that's something they still need to address).

The flexible hinge is great for doing different things...stiff as all get out though. That's good and bad...its good that it'll sit still and won't move unless you move it, but its scary cause you really have to work to move it...which probably causes some of those aformentioned busted hinges.

I can't stand the "folio" style keyboard setups...they have no space to rest your hands and it's a bit awkward for me to type on them. Plus they usually have flimsy and overly complicated hinge setups or kickstands that make them hard to keep still.

Edited to improve readability. I sometimes have a bad habit of running everything together when there's no time to edit before posting. It's still that bad but at least it's bad in sections...and not one lump sum. Sorry.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    I currently have a ClamCase for my iPad 3. It's a great setup giving a case for the iPad and a faux-MacBook keyboard. I didn't get it new, but off of eBay...spilled some soda on the keyboard and it was done. Bought another busted ClamCase for cheap on eBay with working keyboard and swapped it in (it's a plus that they're easy to take apart and replace parts). The quality overall is not amazing (one of the rubber feet on the palmrest came off and warped so it wont sit back down properly and I've seen tons on eBay with busted hinges...mine is still solid thankfully) and I'm not sure it's worth the retail price, but it does work well and looks good if a bit chunky in places. I like that they slimmed down their design for the Pro, but there are some things they could incorporate that might make their products more impressive for the price...like backlit keyboards or the like the Brydge which has a model(s) that incorporates a built in speaker (iPads, like most Apple iDevices just don't have amazing built-in speakers...as much as we love them...that's something they still need to address). The flexible hinge is great for doing different things...stiff as all get out though. That's good and bad...its good that it'll sit still and won't move unless you move it, but its scary cause you really have to work to move it...which probably causes some of those aformentioned busted hinges.

I can't stand the "folio" style keyboard setups...they have no space to rest your hands and it's a bit awkward for me to type on them. Plus they usually have flimsy and overly complicated hinge setups or kickstands that make them hard to keep still.

Excellent and informative post but a little hard to read.

You should whack a paragraph break or two in there.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Big fan here of Life Proof cases on iPads. Not on phones though.
    I take my iPad 2 to sea and use it as a chartplotter. This frees up my combo unit to use as a sounder only without having to hop between screens or use split screen.
    Pretty much bullet proof and waterproof - yes it adds some bulk but the trade offs worth it for me.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by carmelapple View Post

I currently have a ClamCase for my iPad 3. It's a great setup giving a case for the iPad and a faux-MacBook keyboard. I didn't get it new, but off of eBay...spilled some soda on the keyboard and it was done. Bought another busted ClamCase for cheap on eBay with working keyboard and swapped it in (it's a plus that they're easy to take apart and replace parts).

The quality overall is not amazing (one of the rubber feet on the palmrest came off and warped so it wont sit back down properly and I've seen tons on eBay with busted hinges...mine is still solid thankfully) and I'm not sure it's worth the retail price, but it does work well and looks good if a bit chunky in places.

I like that they slimmed down their design for the Pro, but there are some things they could incorporate that might make their products more impressive for the price...like backlit keyboards or the like the Brydge which has a model(s) that incorporates a built in speaker (iPads, like most Apple iDevices just don't have amazing built-in speakers...as much as we love them...that's something they still need to address).

The flexible hinge is great for doing different things...stiff as all get out though. That's good and bad...its good that it'll sit still and won't move unless you move it, but its scary cause you really have to work to move it...which probably causes some of those aformentioned busted hinges.

Edited to improve readability. I sometimes have a bad habit of running everything together when there's no time to edit before posting. It's still that bad but at least it's bad in sections...and not one lump sum. Sorry.

Great post, thanks!

• Reply 8 of 15
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    What about the Apple Smart Cover, Apple Smart Case and Apple Wireless Keyboard for iPad?
  • Reply 9 of 15

Apple Smart Case in black leather for iPad Air 2 already in use here. Absurdly expensive, but adds little to bulk and fits like a glove so I guess you get what you pay for. Apple seems to have altered the stand-up angle too, feels more stable in this mode than the original Air.

• Reply 10 of 15
    Apple Smart Case in black leather for iPad Air 2 already in use here. Absurdly expensive, but adds little to bulk and fits like a glove so I guess you get what you pay for. Apple seems to have altered the stand-up angle too, feels more stable in this mode than the original Air.

Don't you get annoyed of the back flapping around in portrait mode?
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Well I only use portrait for reading newspapers so I just fold back the cover and rest the device on my knee. It's watching video that the improved stand-up angle is an improvement.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by urbanleopard View Post

Well I only use portrait for reading newspapers so I just fold back the cover and rest the device on my knee. It's watching video that the improved stand-up angle is an improvement.

Fair enough. I like my smart cover because of its ease of taking off. I can see three advantages to the case: more protection, a softer and possibly more comfortable feel, and warmer when the iPad is cold. The cover is lighter, cheaper, easier to take off and better in portrait mode.

• Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

Originally Posted by urbanleopard View Post

Looking forward to trying out my Smart Case - it's the last item to arrive! Due for delivery today..

iPad Air 2 came on Friday - What a beautiful, light, powerful and truly amazing piece of technology it is!  

Loving it without the case, but need something to prop it up on the kitchen table :-)

• Reply 14 of 15

It seems like @Relic always has some awesome neat case to share that I have never heard of.

Then again maybe she doesn't need one yet.  

A few of these look really nice.

• Reply 15 of 15
    I have been using Bear Motion since the first iPad in 2010. They made them with real cow leather.