Apple offers 99-cent sale pricing on 24 iOS apps for limited time

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2015
Apple on Thursday rolled out another of its limited-time-only iOS App Store sections, this time featuring 24 apps on sale for 99 cents each, including popular titles like Pixelmator and GoodReader, as well as hit games Shadowmatic and The Room Two.

Aptly named "Amazing Apps & Games," the collection features a total of 24 titles spanning a range of genres, from photo taking utilities to business aids and beyond. Not including educational children's apps, half of today's selected sale items are games, including indie hits like Goat Simulator. A number of apps up for offer rarely go on sale.

Apps priced at 99 cents include: Games: While many "Amazing Apps & Games" have been around for some time, Apple's sale is a good opportunity to stock up on quick fix games, popular tools normally priced well above a dollar and franchise pieces missing from your collection.

Apple features a number of app collections on the iOS App Store's homepage in an attempt to promote app discovery for iPhone and iPad users. Other specials include a free "App of the Week," curated and genre-specific collections, first-party apps and select third-party apps compatible with services like Apple Pay.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    When they have these sales, does the dev agree/get compensated?
  • Reply 2 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

I wonder this also.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Apple most likely contact these developers and ask them for if they want to participate.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    yazolightyazolight Posts: 118member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I think they make up what they loose with quantity.

Any advices about which are the games not to miss?

• Reply 5 of 17
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member
    Quote:

I'm sure the developer agrees on a case-by-case basis.

That is one of the controversial parts of the Amazon Appstore, they have right to discount your app (up to 40% I believe) without any compensation or advance permission. The free daily apps on the Amazon store are with permission, but the devs receive no compensation.

• Reply 6 of 17
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Scanner Pro 6 is a fantastic app, highly recommended. It has replaced my scanner.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Pixelmator is an absolute steal at this price
  • Reply 8 of 17
    staticx57staticx57 Posts: 405member

Picked up Pixelmator. Any thoughts on the other ones?

• Reply 9 of 17
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Scanner Pro 6 is a fantastic app, highly recommended. It has replaced my scanner.
    Yep. Was looking to buy a cheap flatbed. And then I found that app. Perfect for my needs.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

There's no compensation but the developer has to agree to the sale. The developer usually gets plenty of warning too. I guess you could say that the headline is wrong - it's the developers offering their apps for 99c (in exchange for some free advertising).

It's the same with promotions that give away apps on the App Store (e.g. 12 Days of Christmas). It's the developer taking the hit.

• Reply 11 of 17
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Apples agency model means the devs have to agree.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member
    You lot make me chuckle. Beancounters running marketing is how companies crash. See Sony.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member

Nothing of interest for me. Yes, I would bet that the developers are fighting to be part of this promo. Even though their average sale price takes a hit, they will sell a lot more with Apple promoting it.

• Reply 14 of 17
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    mike1 wrote: »
    Nothing of interest for me. Yes, I would bet that the developers are fighting to be part of this promo. Even though their average sale price takes a hit, they will sell a lot more with Apple promoting it.

Yes and many would also have other apps and IAP of course.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member

Can someone ping me (!) when Taylor Swift's albums go on sale for $.99? Wait...what?

• Reply 16 of 17
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

Yep. Was looking to buy a cheap flatbed. And then I found that app. Perfect for my needs.

I just bought this. Nice. We have a really high end network printer/scanner at the office, but for home this is perfect. Thanks for the recommendation.

• Reply 17 of 17

A developer wouldn't hesitate for a moment to be part of this. The problem on the App Store is being noticed. If Apple wants to feature you... Also, some of these have IAP, so it's just a dream. I just went through and bought at least 4 of them and didn't even know most of them existed. The change in volume of sales will be huge for these apps and games.

Not saying the whole situation on the App Store -- being seen -- isn't pretty horrible for most developers just that being part of this promotion is a no brainer.