Failed iOS 10 installs force users to plug into iTunes for restoration of 'bricked' device [u]

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 90
    I treat every major OS upgrade with precision care. I have never had any problems or failed, and the current one was a smooth sail too. As long you took precautions, know what you should do, follow the procedure carefully, and most importantly: NO RUSH, you won't encounter any problems.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 82 of 90
    gtr said:
    kamilton said:
    Kamilton Prescription for all X.0 updates.

1.  Wait and read AI.
    2.  Add 48 hours
    3.  Buy Six Pack
    4.  iTunes back
    5.  Confirm iCloud back up
    6.  Open beer 1
    7.  Commence Update

Never has failed!  See you Friday

Not bad. Here's an abbreviated alternate version:

1. Buy latest iPhone with all the latest software and hardware updates included.
    2. Become zen and one with the universe.

That is better!  Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer
  • Reply 83 of 90
    3 devices updated over-the-air without a hitch: iPad Pro, iPhone 5S and iPhone 5.

Slightly disappointed to find the iPad 3 was no longer included in the update group, but to be honest, it was starting to "run on fumes" ever since iOS 8. On the plus side, iOS 9.3.2 restored a lot of its snappiness and smooth operation back, but the signs were there that another major software upgrade would be a bridge too far...

All in all, a rather uneventful and seamless upgrade. Apple's software chops are definitely on the up - the product presentation video stream for the iPhone 7 and Apple Watch 2 did not stutter even once on my Apple TV 4, a first for my setup.
  • Reply 84 of 90
    folks keep using the word bricked and the device almost never is. if you can do an update or a restore and that works, its not bricked. and the issue came up during the first 3 hours the software was out so it was probably just a server overload issue. too many folks trying to OTA update and the verifications were timing out. annoying but generally no big deal
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 85 of 90
    ScoM said:
    The only way to do that on a mobile device is by connecting to a computer and backing up via iTunes.
    iCloud backups are a full backup. heck they are fuller than most folks iTunes ones cause health data is only saved in an iTunes backup if you remember to encrypt, and most folks don't.
  • Reply 86 of 90
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    I had no problem updating but regret that I did. This thing has turned into a feature bloated monster. Simplicity is out the window.  In fact I'm so pissed off I cancelled my iPhone 7 order
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 87 of 90
    iOS10 update on 6+ through iTunes went smoothly. Finished downloading WatchOS3 and preparing to update. tvOS10 is next :)

It has already been said, but people really need to learn the definition for "bricked".
  • Reply 88 of 90
    dougd said:
    I had no problem updating but regret that I did. This thing has turned into a feature bloated monster. Simplicity is out the window.  In fact I'm so pissed off I cancelled my iPhone 7 order
    Show us on the doll where iOS 10 touched you.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 89 of 90
    3 iPhones, 4 iPads and 1 AppleTV all went smoothly OTA.  I use my older devices as test boxes for the first downloads and trials.    I'm impressed at how fast my Phone 5 now feels. Nice update for all my devices.  Also love the new iWork collaboration.
    watto_cobra