AppleInsider podcast talks iOS 10, iPhone 7 stock at launch, and headphones

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2016
This week on the AppleInsider podcast, Neil Hughes tells Victor Marks about the latest iOS, iPhone 7 supply shortage, headphones (Bluetooth and otherwise), and more.

AppleInsider editors Neil Hughes and Victor Marks wrap up the latest Apple Watch and iPhone releases:

• iOS 10
  • iPhone 7 jet black unavailable in stores at launch
  • Apple polls users about headphone jack, other port use on MacBook Pro Retina
  • Audeze iSine 10 hands-on
  • 2017 'iPhone rumors'
  • Project Titan (to car, or not to car)

The show is available on iTunes and your favorite podcast apps by searching for "AppleInsider." Click here to listen, subscribe, and don't forget to rate our show.

Listen to the embedded SoundCloud feed below:

Show note links:

Follow our hosts on Twitter: @thisisneil and @vmarks.

Feedback and comments are always appreciated. Please contact the AppleInsider podcast at [email protected] and follow us on Twitter @appleinsider, plus Facebook and Instagram.

Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at [email protected].

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    I fail to see how Apple redesigning the Home Button dramatically for the iPhone 7, for the first time in 10 generations of iPhone, "set the stage" for removing the Home Button entirely next year. In reality, it should indicate the exact opposite to you. Does it make sense for Apple to completely redesign the Home Button this year, only to ditch it completely next year? Nope.

I am not looking forward to the next year of rumors for this reason: There seems to be this forgone conclusion that Apple needs/wants to make a Quote "Edge to Edge Display With No Home Button".

Nothing Apple has done has indicated they are even remotely interested in this suggested design/style. So I find it hard to understand why people treat this with any degree of sincerity.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    sog35 said:
    Neil you ain't buying a iPhone7 but sticking with the iPhone SE?

Come on dude. Just for the sake of the Appleinsider site you should buy a 7 or 7+ for research purposes

This is like a guy working for Motor Trend only driving a 20 year old Toyota Corolla.
    A 20-year-old Toyota Corolla? Haha, that's quite the analogy, considering the iPhone SE came out six months ago and it has the same A9 processor and 12-megapixel camera as the iPhone 6s. We have other people on staff getting an iPhone 7 and they will be handling our review. For now, I'm very happy with the $500 I spent on my 64GB SE.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    sog35 said:
    nhughes said:
    sog35 said:

Come on dude. Just for the sake of the Appleinsider site you should buy a 7 or 7+ for research purposes

This is like a guy working for Motor Trend only driving a 20 year old Toyota Corolla.
    A 20-year-old Toyota Corolla? Haha, that's quite the analogy, considering the iPhone SE came out six months ago and it has the same A9 processor and 12-megapixel camera as the iPhone 6s. We have other people on staff getting an iPhone 7 and they will be handling our review. For now, I'm very happy with the $500 I spent on my 64GB SE.
    Just my opinion

I think all high level guys on an Apple site should have all the newest Apple gear so they are speaking out of knowledge not ignorance.

Also you would rather wear this:

than this?

If someone wants to send or buy me the newest Apple gear, I'm happy to own it. Unfortunately I pay for these phones out of pocket, and while I try to stay up to date for professional reasons, it's ultimately a financial/personal decision. Apple does not provide me with review units.

As I said on the podcast, I don't really think the aesthetics of the iSine headphones are great (nor do I think the aesthetics of the AirPods are great, in-ear). For my own money, I would not purchase either of them (I don't like earbuds and couldn't see myself spending that much on either product). But from a sound quality perspective, based on the 15 or so minutes I had to test them, the iSines sound fantastic.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    sog35 said:
    I think all high level guys on an Apple site should have all the newest Apple gear so they are speaking out of knowledge not ignorance.
    I should add that over the last year, between the then-$500 64GB iPhone SE and the then-$850 128GB iPhone 6s, I've spent enough on phones for a little while. I still have my 6s so I can test 3D Touch functions in new iOS releases, but switched back to the more portable SE after iOS 10 went GM. Dropping another $750 for a 128GB iPhone 7 without a headphone jack and without a clicking home button, just to get a faster CPU and slightly improved camera over the SE/6s, wasn't really worth it to me, from a cost/benefit perspective.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    sog35 said:

Guys from motor trend drive stuff that's proven. 20 year old miata. 30 year old rx7 with an LS motor swapped in. 
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 6 of 12

sog35 said:
     I think every single high level person on AppleInsider should at minimum own Apple's flagship phone each year.
    sog35 said:
    okay. Just consider it part of continuing education as a professional.

Excellent. Love it. Out of pocket, or paid for by AI, in your vision?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    sog35 said:

Again this is like a Video Game site that has high level staff members who own a Playstation3 and not a Playstation4. I think every single high level person on AppleInsider should at minimum own Apple's flagship phone each year.
    If I could afford a brand new, top-of-the-line iPhone every year, that would be great. Alas, I cannot.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    sog35 said:
    nhughes said:
    sog35 said:

Again this is like a Video Game site that has high level staff members who own a Playstation3 and not a Playstation4. I think every single high level person on AppleInsider should at minimum own Apple's flagship phone each year.
    If I could afford a brand new, top-of-the-line iPhone every year, that would be great. Alas, I cannot.
    You bosses should pay for it. I mean seriously. 

The level of quality imo would go up with all the high level staff has the latest iPhones. iPhone is literally the entire hub that Apple is centered on.  Or at least your boss should give you a $200 allowance a year for a new phone.  Everyone wins:

1. You get a new phone each year
    2. Bosses get a tax deduction
    3. Readers get more insight on articles

bring up this post to your bosses next staff meeting. It would be the best $200 your bosses ever spent

Right now there is a massive hole for a website that has vast knowledge of Apple products and are not heavily influenced by click bait. IMO, Apple Insider is the best Apple site right now for this. The key is to have the most knowledgable staff and IMO that means having new iPhones each year.  Other Apple sites have slowly devalued itself into Apple hating sites or at least become a battle ground for Apple trolls. They are all about click bait instead of solid news and info about Apple.
    Your idea of how big of an operation AppleInsider is (and how much money we have) is very different from the reality of the situation.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    Had a chance to play with iPhone 7 at the store (waiting for mine to ship). I don't get the reviewer complaints about the new home button. Works great and is quicker than the mechanical version. 
  • Reply 10 of 12
    OK, I swear I head a baby whine every time Neil spoke in the first 5 minutes of the podcast...
  • Reply 11 of 12
    OK, I swear I head a baby whine every time Neil spoke in the first 5 minutes of the podcast...
    Not quite a baby. A 17-year-old talkative cat. I try my best to placate her when I record, but there's only so much prevention I can do in a tiny apartment. I do apologize for the noise.