AppleInsider app by Crafted Inc.

Posted:
in Feedback
Guys, anybody there thinks the AI app could get a lot better?
I read AI daily for almost 10 years now. As I do it most often on my iPhone or iPad, when the app came—a while ago—it was a great convenience... or it should have been!
Just about as often as not, some articles won't load properly, missing pictures and even not loading the full text! This last issue is very aggravating because the only "solution" is to open the site in the browser, defeating the whole purpose of having the app!!!
The situation just gets much worse if you try to load the comments plane. Sometimes it won't load at all, and sometimes, hilariously, it will show you that the dozens of comments are from the same user!
Worst of all, but not so much annoying, because it's a seldom used feature, is form filling, like when you submit a tip. It won't load the optimal keyboard for filling each field of the form! I mean, all a developer need is to use a simple tag of half a dozen characters to identify the field, but the guys of Crafted Inc. are too lazy to do it...

Guys, the site is great! The content is of major interest to a lot of people. Some editorials, like DED's are specially well written and compelling, but it's all for nothing if the readers get a bad experience from the app! I'd like to use Apple News, and skirt this whole issue, but it's not available in my country.

I don't know how much you payed Carfted Inc. for developing the app, but I'm sure it was more than you should!
lolliver

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    It has been over a year since I first raised the issue of the AI iPhone app crashing (using iOS 8/9 on iPhone 5s) when tapping on links within stories but it has still not been fixed !!! It's a shame that such a major bug has not been addressed for such a long time by a tech-site that prides itself on being the best in the business in tech analysis !!!
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I can't add favourites on 6s+, which was actually the reason why I joined. Slightly annoying. 
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Guys, I read AI on my iPad a lot but your new feature of Ad pop up is frankly annoying.  I always read while listening to music or radio station apps and your ads always stop the music.  I need to switch back to my music app to restart.  I don't mind (i do but I understand why) theads but please allow us to control the sound (i.e. No sound). 

Tks
  • Reply 4 of 5
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    This is the first time I've used this forum and I wonder if anyone from AI even looks at it. I didn't find another way to report issues with the AI iOS app.

Issue #1: AI can't find my network (again) even though all other apps are finding it just fine. It's whatever is the latest version. I "kill" the app (double-clicking home button then swiping page away--does this actually restart iOS apps?), restart it and it still doesn't connect. I'm writing from my iMac on the same network as my iPhone 6s so I know the network is working. As you can see from my screendump, I'm using WiFi cellular and the only way this works is if I have an internet connection.

Issue #2: I hate using the AI iOS app to add comments because it only gives me a few seconds or more without any change of fixing typos before it stops letting me type. I have to click on Done then it lets me start typing again. 
  • Reply 5 of 5
    AppleInsiderAppleInsider Posts: 63,192administrator
    rob53 said:
    This is the first time I've used this forum and I wonder if anyone from AI even looks at it. I didn't find another way to report issues with the AI iOS app.

Issue #1: AI can't find my network (again) even though all other apps are finding it just fine. It's whatever is the latest version. I "kill" the app (double-clicking home button then swiping page away--does this actually restart iOS apps?), restart it and it still doesn't connect. I'm writing from my iMac on the same network as my iPhone 6s so I know the network is working. As you can see from my screendump, I'm using WiFi cellular and the only way this works is if I have an internet connection.

Issue #2: I hate using the AI iOS app to add comments because it only gives me a few seconds or more without any change of fixing typos before it stops letting me type. I have to click on Done then it lets me start typing again. 
    Thank you for reaching out.

We're aware of the connectivity issues the app is currently having, and yes we do read these forums :smile:
    Please see this post: http://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/195852/appleinsider-status-update