Inside iOS 10: Examining the new smart Photos features

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    yoyo2222 said:
    In addition, I see that out of 11 'mini albums' it has created so far there are 2 with my face and 2 with my wife's face. I just clicked 'Add People and found another picture of my wife. When I clicked on it it added another mini album based on that photo. There doesn't seem to be a way to manually merge 2 mini albums of the same person. So it seems iOS Face Recognition isn't much better than Photos.app. The instant slideshow seems OK.
    All you have to do is assign that newly discovered picture of your wife with her name and it will merge them.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    joe28753 said:
    I certainly hope syncing is coming soon. I have tens of thousands of photos. I don't want to go through and name/verify faces on every device I have. 
    You'll probably notice your CPU will be doing overtime with Photos as Photos processes your pictures. It could take awhile depending how many photos you have stored on your Hard Drive or SSD.
    Not so sure of this.
    from what I have been able to learn
    this only works if you have iCloud photos.
    does not work on your hardware.
    everything i heard pre-launch was that photo tagging ("palm trees") is done on-device using device hardware.
    I upgraded my iPad 4th gen to iOS 10.
    People does not show up anywhere.
    try various gyrations to make people show up, no joy.
    40 minutes chat with Apple ends with asking me to turn on iCloud photos.
    so it may slow down hardware
    but not sure why if matching compute is in cloud.
    or if it's not where are my People?
  • Reply 22 of 26
    joe28753 said:
    I certainly hope syncing is coming soon. I have tens of thousands of photos. I don't want to go through and name/verify faces on every device I have. 
    You'll probably notice your CPU will be doing overtime with Photos as Photos processes your pictures. It could take awhile depending how many photos you have stored on your Hard Drive or SSD.
    Not so sure of this.
    everything i heard pre-launch was that photo tagging ("palm trees") is done on-device using device hardware.
    Sorry if this is a dup.
    upgraded my iPad 4th gen to iOS 10
    opened Photos looking for People.
    no joy.
    fiddled with various settings etc.
    No joy.
    after 40 minutes chatting with Apple, hit a roadblock when was asked to enable iCloud photos.
    so I do not know how slow it runs because it does not run without iCloud photos.
    if it runs on your hardware, why need iCloud?

• Reply 24 of 26
    joe28753 said:
    Not so sure of this.
    It was on my 5K iMac I first noticed this after I installed Sierra. I happen to use iStat pro and noticed the CPU running very high. So I check the Activity Monitor and it show Photos as the culprit. I did a search and came across this: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6983876?start=0&tstart=0
  • Reply 25 of 26
    This is an absolutely terrible update.  I have ~20,000 photos, that on my laptop I have painstakingly annotated with faces - probably >3,000 faces tagged across those pictures.  I have synchronized the library to iCloud, and the great thing was that it meant on both my iPad and iPhone, I had every photo I own, and I could search anyone's name to find every photo of them - e.g., I have over 1,000 photos of my son on there, that span his entire life.  I upgraded my iPad to iOS 10, photos ground away for a few hours to recognize faces, and then I took a look at the results - it doesn't use any of the previous tagging information whatsoever.  If I were to design a piece of software to be as stupid as possible, this is what I would do - it is utterly moronic and infuriating.  I spent a couple of hours seeing how easy it would be to retag people, and even worse than it ignoring previous tags, it also lost all names, so if I tagged all the kids on one of my son's past soccer teams, all those names are lost (i.e. will not autocomplete), so to do that again would require me to dig out that information from old emails.  Furthermore, I have only thus far found ~600 of the >1,000 photos of my son that were easy to merge, with all the other being singletons, which will take many tens of hours to go through at a minimum. I probably spent >1,000 hours over the last 14 years tagging faces in photos (since the original iPhoto came out), and they singlehandedly undid all that work with a single update, without fully warning users what would happen. I expect that if I upgrade to Sierra on my laptop, that it will similarly destroy all my work - I simply don't understand how they could do this. The project must be driven by engineering - hey look! deep learning is cool! - rather than end user considerations.  Given that deep learning allows one to easily provide training sets, it could have taken existing tagging information and probably found additional photos I missed, rather than lose everything I worked so hard to put together. Other omissions from the Photos software on the iPad include:

1. When you are confirming whether a photo contains a person, it doesn't show you the date or location that photo was taken - this is super useful with baby photos, and that context can be key for identification.
    2. There is not a face view for a person album, so you're not 100% sure in a photo with multiple people which one is tagged as that person. False positive taggings can contaminate the learned characteristics of a person, and it should at least be useful to be able to check and fix incorrect tags.
    3. When set of faces that it thinks is the same person contains multiple people, it's highly unintuitive as to how to separate them out. It can be done, but via a moronic, poorly designed sequence

Apple should be ashamed of themselves with this update.  Their website doesn't even allow one to provide feedback specifically on iOS Photos, suggesting that they don't give a hoot about their customers on this. I did write to them, but I suspect no-one in any position of power, or who cares about user experience for this software will ever see it, or do anything about it.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    jfmacjfmac Posts: 6member
    Scary that Apple insists on doing FR for our photos (which gives them a database of everything and everyone we take a photo of)  but won't even fix / allow us to make our own decisions on synching smart photo folders from Mac Photos  to iOS devices.

Unless its fixed, please request Apple fix that:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/photos.html