US government bans defunct Galaxy Note 7 from all flights citing fire threat

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    I found out today that my co-worker who sits right behind me has a Note 7 and was unaware of the recent developments. She travels for military once a month and seemed to brush off when I mentioned the recall and flight concerns. 
    stompycanadiandudebig
  • Reply 22 of 50
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Thanks for the DF link, Gruber:

quadra 610watto_cobratallest skildsdbig
  • Reply 23 of 50
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    Knowingly taking prohibited materials on an aircraft is likely a felony. Imagine how nice this is for an owner. Show up at an airport with one, and in theory you can't even mail it back to yourself. Putting dangerous materials in the USPS is also likely a felony.
    watto_cobratallest skilbaconstangbignetmagelolliverpalomine
  • Reply 24 of 50
    I wonder what would happen if you filled up a Samsung washing machine with a bunch of Samsung galaxy phones?  Armageddon?
    watto_cobrabaconstangchialolliver
  • Reply 25 of 50
    On the radio news yesterday, in Melbourne a woman's home caught fire due to a Sumsung toploader washing machine 
    edited October 2016 lolliver
  • Reply 26 of 50
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    On the radio news yesterday, in Melbourne a woman's home caught fire due to a Sumsung toploader washing machine 
    Here's the link to that story:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/north/recalled-samsung-washing-machine-sparks-reservoir-house-blaze/news-story/51c61b2aaedf0a8bcb408c5e578f1650

When will people, like me, stop trusting ANYTHING from Samdung?!?!
    watto_cobrapeterhartlolliver
  • Reply 27 of 50
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    I wonder what would happen if you filled up a Samsung washing machine with a bunch of Samsung galaxy phones?  Armageddon?
    Maybe this:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/north/recalled-samsung-washing-machine-sparks-reservoir-house-blaze/news-story/51c61b2aaedf0a8bcb408c5e578f1650
    lolliver
  • Reply 28 of 50

tallest skilbaconstangwatto_cobramagman1979raz0rpeterhartbrucemcpscooter63lolliver
  • Reply 29 of 50
    In the US there's around 1.7 million domestic air passengers per day and around 2.4 million total air passengers per day (if you count international flights too).

That's a LOT of people seeing and hearing warnings about the Galaxy Note 7. Every. Single. Day.

If you could run an ad and guarantee that many people per day would actually see/hear it, I wonder what that would cost dollar wise.
    watto_cobrachialolliver
  • Reply 30 of 50
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    sog35 said:
    Samsung has lost way more money on this self-imposed problem than from all the lawsuits that Apple has pursued over the past six years.
    Think about it this way: because of the Apple lawsuits Samsung had to create their own design. One of Samsungs original designs is the Note7. Samsung tried to be creative and it back fired. Also if Appke didn't sue Samsung, then the lattest Samsung phones would look almost identical to the iPhone. At least now you can easily tell the difference between an iPhone and a Samdung.

The Apple lawsuit was worth it
    I like your imagination, but no, it has nothing to do with Apple.
    singularitychia
  • Reply 31 of 50
    rbonner said:
    I agree with another commenter on another post, samsung should issue a update that renders the phone unusable or have the carriers somehow disable the units.  Would save time looking around on the flight.
    A completely off note 7 does heat up or explode, and owners might still stow it into cabin luggage or check-in compartment. Regardless where it is, it poses hazard.
    baconstang
  • Reply 32 of 50
    512ke said:
    ... at least the Second Amendment doesn't protect the citizens' right to bear Samsungs.
    Best comment so far!
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 50
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    rbonner said:
    I agree with another commenter on another post, samsung should issue a update that renders the phone unusable or have the carriers somehow disable the units.  Would save time looking around on the flight.
    There was an article earlier this week that a tracking company saw activated Note 7 numbers go UP in the days immediately after the recall. Deactivation from the service provider end is the only clear solution. Imho. 
    edited October 2016 baconstangchiapscooter63lolliver
  • Reply 34 of 50
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    fallenjt said:
    sog35 said:
    Samsung has lost way more money on this self-imposed problem than from all the lawsuits that Apple has pursued over the past six years.
    Think about it this way: because of the Apple lawsuits Samsung had to create their own design. One of Samsungs original designs is the Note7. Samsung tried to be creative and it back fired. Also if Appke didn't sue Samsung, then the lattest Samsung phones would look almost identical to the iPhone. At least now you can easily tell the difference between an iPhone and a Samdung.

The Apple lawsuit was worth it
    I like your imagination, but no, it has nothing to do with Apple.
    It has everything to do with Apple; they rushed the Note 7 out to beat Apple to the punch with the iPhone 7 launch. They didn't do the proper safety checks and now they are paying the price. Of course, we can't know that for sure but that has been rumoured and seems highly likely.
    edited October 2016 bigwatto_cobrapscooter63lolliver
  • Reply 35 of 50
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member

mac_128 said:
    mac_128 said:
    Nobody is going to to want a Samsung 7 anything.
    They may have to retire the ‘Note’ name, even.
    Yes I've heard that. Which is exactly what Apple should have done with the Apple /// when they finally fixed all the problems.
    I loved my Apple ///.  Visialc on an Apple /// was awesome.  Not to mention ProDOS!  :)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 50
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    A few weeks ago a friend visited by Eurostar train using the English Channel Tunnel. The trains is underground for about 25 minutes of the journey.  He said to me that he was concerned about his smart phone getting too hot when charging. It was a Samsung but not a Note 7. I advised him to replace his phone due to the issue with the Note 7. What is concerning is that other forms of public transport across the world may not be doing much if anything to stop the use of these dangerous Samsung phone being taken on public transport. It seems there was no announcements on the Eurostar.  If a phone caught fire whilst in the tunnel there could quite easily be serious problems. More should be done to get the Samsung phones made illegal on all types of public transport including buses, trains, ships and especially underground.
    baconstangwatto_cobralolliverpalomine
  • Reply 37 of 50

mac_128 said:
    mac_128 said:
    Nobody is going to to want a Samsung 7 anything.
    They may have to retire the ‘Note’ name, even.
    Yes I've heard that. Which is exactly what Apple should have done with the Apple /// when they finally fixed all the problems.
    I loved my Apple ///.  Visialc on an Apple /// was awesome.  Not to mention ProDOS!  
    Ha!  When we applied to become an IBM/Pc dealer in 1982 -- we had to fly to Boca Raton and make a preso to convince IBM that we were qualified to sell their product.

My partner, Mark and I made the trip with an Apple /// (loved that carrying case).  My wife had been beta testing Dave Winer's ThinkTank on the Apple ///.  It worked so well that we decided to make our IBM preso on the Apple ///.

The IBM reps, were taken aback -- but very impressed with the ThinkTank preso (and the Apple ///).

Afterwards, we were approved as an IBM Dealer.

FWIW, IBM said they had carefully examined our personal backgrounds to see if we were qualified...

Somehow, IBM missed the fact that I had worked for IBM for 16 1/2 years -- and that my partner was Woz's younger brother.

edited October 2016 baconstangchiapscooter63
  • Reply 38 of 50
    I almost feel bad for Samsung.

Almost.
    peterhart
  • Reply 39 of 50
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    For those Samsung fanboys who insist on keeping their Note 7 what happens if their phone explodes? Samsung, the CSPC, the FAA, et al, have all recalled or banned the Note 7 so does Samsung still have any legal liability toward those idiots.

I still cannot believe a class action lawsuit has not been filed yet. Apparently those are strictly reserved for Apple.
    watto_cobramagman1979pscooter63lolliverpalomine
  • Reply 40 of 50
    Rumor has it that Samsung will continue production of the Note 7 as they received orders from..ISIS
    watto_cobralolliver