Apple to debut new Macs at Oct. 27 event, report says

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 76
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    If you fail to understand how the connector affects the ability to pull down laptop by tripping over its cord, how 10–12 hours v 2–3 hours of battery life affects the requirement to be plugged in, and how this already exists in the MacBook (meaning, it's no longer a hypothessis that I had 5 years ago about how Apple could eschew MagSafe from future notebooks) then, as usual, you're not going to understand a damn thing. Try to use sme critical thinkng and look at the fucking issue from beyond your personal needs and history of using a notebook with differnet technology. I'm not even asking you to look at it from Apple's PoV as I know from experience that is literally impossible for you to grasp, but at least try to look widen your view of technology a little bit.
    You're trying to argue that a breakaway power connector is only "viable" for "certain people" because these magic new MacBook Pros will hardly ever actually be plugged in.
    Don't be a dumbass. How does all-day battery life equate to hardly in your world? Do you hardly ever plug in your phone even if you can go a full day or even two on a charge? Your inability to understand how the design of the port interface plays a role in why the MacBook doesn't have MagSafe and instead uses USB-C says a lot. Again, if you want more battery life or more casing protection, or anything else for you buy it, but you're an asshat if you say, "I want this feature so Apple should include it automatically. I'm sure most people want it and I'm sure it fits into Apple's plans simply because I want it." Keep telling yourself that. Repeat after me: "It's not about me. It's not about me. It's not about me." If, come 27 Oct, Apple does remove MagSafe from the MacBook Pro you can vote with your wallet by not buying a Mac, or you can realize that you're being silly and deal with the coming changes in a mature way.
    I don't get your anti-MagSafe vitriol.  You appear to be going to absurd lengths to minimize it's value as a feature.  The only way it wouldn't be a useful feature is if the computer is rarely plugged in, so I assumed that's what you were getting at with your "10-12 hours" comment.  But you agree that laptops are plugged in a lot of the time (and therefore are liable to be pulled off a desk a lot of the time).
    Letting you know how a data power that can supply power is more cersatile than a basic power port, how the design of USB-C has an effect over the pre-MagSafe power cable design which extended relatively deep into a Mac and wouldn't pop off easily, how going from 2–3 hours of use to 10-12 hours of use changes the freqency and conditions when people need to be plugged in, and the availability of inexpensive, 3rd-party solutions because USB-C is a standard everyone can use, is not vitriole, it's making a reasoned argument with for more data points than should be needed for you to understand why Apple has gotten rid of it in the MacBook and may be getting rid of it in other Mac notebooks. As previously stated, I love MagSafe, but another USB port is likely more important to Pro users under these circumanstances.

If part of the argument is that Apple can add a BUNCH of ports (which has never been a priority for Apple before) if they can double up, I don't buy that either.  If you're going to plug 3 or 4 things into your MacBook Pro at the same time, you're obviously settling in for some real work and will need power as well.
    What do you mean "which has never been a priority for Apple before"? They just moved the headphones in their iPhone to Lightning. They're the ones that helped Intel get Thunderbolt going and even created the mini-DisplayPort standard which has a zero cost license for vendors to use. They were the first vendor to go all in with USB-A which got rid of a crap load of legacy ports. Hopefully we'll see a new Apple display with a single cable for all data and video, but unlikely that it'll also include power, which I'm sure Apple hates since it means their display has to have a minimum of two cables. Apple's entire history is trying to consolidate ports! They even a fucking patent from a decade ago on having fiber optic cable in the center of MagSafe, which obviously isn't feasible.
    I said it has never been a priority for Apple to add a "BUNCH of ports" to their devices.  I thought it was clear from the emphasis that this was a comment about quantity.  Apple devices routinely have fewer USB ports than they could.  Your example and the MacBook are evidence of this "less is more" thinking.  I wasn't saying anything about Apple long history of developing and adopting newer and better connection technologies.  So I think we agree on this point, but for some reason you're using this as another excuse to overreact.
  • Reply 62 of 76
    felix01felix01 Posts: 294member
    Guess I need to start reviewing what USB-C hubs are available. Any well-recommended suggestions?
  • Reply 63 of 76
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Looking forward to new Macs; just about time!
  • Reply 64 of 76
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    felix01 said:
    Guess I need to start reviewing what USB-C hubs are available. Any well-recommended suggestions?
    I don't know about well-recommended, but the most notable I've seen is by OWC.

• Reply 65 of 76
    If I'm not mistaken, Martin Hajek is already selling the new MacBook Pros.  ;)
  • Reply 66 of 76
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    mubaili said:
    as of 2016-10-20 10:44 am, there is still no "invitation" email reported. I doubt there will be an event at all. Could be just briefing to individual reporters and bloggers?

What's it like in the future? It's just gone 7am on the 20th of October, here, and we're on Daylight Saving time, so that's GMT+11. In New Zealand, they're on Daylight Saving time as well, so they're at GMT+13. I wasn't aware of a GMT+15. (Actually, seeing the time you posted, it would be GMT+20.)

I will say that the timeline is getting tight. Some journalists might be a bit rushed to get to Cupertino for an event next week, especially if there's a Final Cut Pro expo on, which was claimed on another thread.

A small-scale briefing doesn't seem a good way to release a major update like the proposed new MacBook Pro with the OLED bar, and other features. If they were just adding Skylake (or Kaby Lake) or even replacing the USB ports with USB-C, they might just do a press release, but a major update introducing new functionality, or even just a new external case, is much more likely to get a presentation. There's a lot of details and features that people are going to want to see in action, and a small-scale briefing doesn't seem to do it. Not saying it won't go that way, just saying I don't think it's likely.

• Reply 67 of 76
    anome said:
    mubaili said:
    as of 2016-10-20 10:44 am, there is still no "invitation" email reported. I doubt there will be an event at all. Could be just briefing to individual reporters and bloggers?

What's it like in the future? It's just gone 7am on the 20th of October, here, and we're on Daylight Saving time, so that's GMT+11. In New Zealand, they're on Daylight Saving time as well, so they're at GMT+13. I wasn't aware of a GMT+15. (Actually, seeing the time you posted, it would be GMT+20.)

I will say that the timeline is getting tight. Some journalists might be a bit rushed to get to Cupertino for an event next week, especially if there's a Final Cut Pro expo on, which was claimed on another thread.

A small-scale briefing doesn't seem a good way to release a major update like the proposed new MacBook Pro with the OLED bar, and other features. If they were just adding Skylake (or Kaby Lake) or even replacing the USB ports with USB-C, they might just do a press release, but a major update introducing new functionality, or even just a new external case, is much more likely to get a presentation. There's a lot of details and features that people are going to want to see in action, and a small-scale briefing doesn't seem to do it. Not saying it won't go that way, just saying I don't think it's likely.

A one week lead-time is inline with their other announcements, and arguably longer because the event is on Thursday.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 68 of 76
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Soli said:
    anome said:
    mubaili said:

A week lead-one is inline with their other announcements, and arguably longer because the event is on Thursday.

A week is the bare minimum I would expect, and they've given almost 8 days. Seems fair enough. Presumably they'll be streaming it, so they wouldn't need as many people to turn up in person.
    Soli
  • Reply 69 of 76
    I'm sitting here at my office alongside colleagues running on a 2008 MacBook Pro, and two 2009 MacBook Pros. We have had no motivation to buy the latest computers after upgrading our older computers with faster SSDs, due to the snail's pace of updates Apple has barely been releasing over the past few years. I'm very hopeful this will present a significant improvement over the current state of the MacBook Pro line so we can capture a long-awaited productivity boost.

My wish list:
    • Discrete graphics options on both the 13" and 15" MacBook Pros
    • Ample battery life for a day away from the office
    • HDMI and SD ports
    • A retina Apple monitor for MacBook Pros and MacBooks
    • And, while I'm daydreaming about a new Apple monitor, a nice surprise would be a 17" retina MacBook Pro
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 70 of 76
    smack416 said:
    I'm sitting here at my office alongside colleagues running on a 2008 MacBook Pro, and two 2009 MacBook Pros. We have had no motivation to buy the latest computers after upgrading our older computers with faster SSDs, due to the snail's pace of updates Apple has barely been releasing over the past few years. I'm very hopeful this will present a significant improvement over the current state of the MacBook Pro line so we can capture a long-awaited productivity boost.

My wish list:
    • Discrete graphics options on both the 13" and 15" MacBook Pros
    • Ample battery life for a day away from the office
    • HDMI and SD ports
    • A retina Apple monitor for MacBook Pros and MacBooks
    • And, while I'm daydreaming about a new Apple monitor, a nice surprise would be a 17" retina MacBook Pro
    • I don't care about dGPUs, but I know a lot of people do. Honestly, I'd prefer an iGPU on my 15" MBP to reduce cost and increase longevity, but even if they offer it, I don't buy the weakest CPU or lowest SSD, so it's not likely to be an option.
    • Kaby Lake and other improvements will lead for increased power efficiency, but how much will Apple allow for the battery length to be increased and how much for the chassis to be slimmed down and made lighter. I'd prefer to keep the same volume and weight, but that's not likely to happen.
    • Both HDMI or SD cards ports are looking increasingly less likely. SD card seems more likely since TB over USB-C can convert to HDMI on the fly. SD card adapter would be more clumsy.
    • I hope we not only get an Apple display, but something an ultra-wide display with an equivalent verticle height as the 27" monitor, which would put it around 34".
    • LOL A 17" MBP would be a huge surprise. I know a lot of people that would buy one, and at a lower weight and volume than the last 17" MBP I may very well be one of those people.

• I'd also like to see new AirPort products. 802.11ad would be nice.
    • Updated iPads and a new Apple TV that supports UHD/H.265, but I don't think the latter will happen until they are ready to flip the switch on 2160p content on the iTS, which I don't think will happen until H.265 can be utilized.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 71 of 76
    Soli said:
    felix01 said:
    I don't know about well-recommended, but the most notable I've seen is by OWC.

I bought one of these around 5 months ago.

My 2015 MacBook is my first ever Mac and I'm loving it. I have the dock hooked up to a 24" monitor and several types of storage and it performs well. 

I haven't yet tried the Ethernet since I've had no trouble with the MacBook's wifi. 

The best part is unplug one cable and you're good to go. 
    Soli
  • Reply 72 of 76
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    If you give the IPad a USB-C, keyboard and a mouse (equivalent), does that make it a MacBook with a touchscreen?

All of that is easily doable by Apple.  So why haven't they done it?   Are they afraid of killing off the MacBook line?

I see a place for a high powered Apple DeskTop -- and I see a place for a fully functional MacBook Pro type laptop with all the bells & whistles and peripherals.  But, the MacBook and 'Air lines seem to be increasingly redundant to me...
  • Reply 73 of 76
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    "The Magic Toolbar"...
    the upcoming name for the OLED touch panel rumored for the new Mac Pro? Personally not a fan of that name if they use it. 
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 74 of 76
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    If you give the IPad a USB-C, keyboard and a mouse (equivalent), does that make it a MacBook with a touchscreen?

All of that is easily doable by Apple.  So why haven't they done it?   Are they afraid of killing off the MacBook line?

I see a place for a high powered Apple DeskTop -- and I see a place for a fully functional MacBook Pro type laptop with all the bells & whistles and peripherals.  But, the MacBook and 'Air lines seem to be increasingly redundant to me...
    Well, they did give it a keyboard, and an Apple Pencil, which is itself a type of mouse equivalent. There's already an adapter to USB 3, so a USB-C adapter can't be far behind.
  • Reply 75 of 76

Well, they did give it a keyboard, and an Apple Pencil, which is itself a type of mouse equivalent. There's already an adapter to USB 3, so a USB-C adapter can't be far behind.

No, the Apple Pencil does not substitute for a mouse or a pad.  It is just another form of touch -- which is not well suited for many functions
  • Reply 76 of 76
    prcdjdt said:
    longpath said:
    I surely hope the Mac Pro sees an update at this event. My boss thought I was making it up when I mentioned that currently shipping Mac Pro cylinders are still the 2013 model, with no major upgrade in 3 years.
    I have a feeling that they will get rid of Mac Pro altogether. Which would be sad as it's great machine.
    I would bet the opposite:   The MacPro is a full functioned PC with a Mac OS.  It serves a purpose that IPads cannot challenge.   The MacBook & Air are essentially IPads with a mouse & keyboard running a MacOS with an Intel processor.   I see the non-Pro models merging and integrating with the IPad line -- if not this year, then soon.  

I don;t mean that as an Apple strategy to kill the Mac.   Just that the non-Pro MacBooks are just variations on a theme at this point and merging it with the IPad will make them both stronger.   True, Microsoft tried that and crashed.   Apple will do it right.