Microsoft debuts Surface Studio all-in-one PC, refreshes high-end Surface Book

Comments

• Reply 81 of 198
    sog35 said:
    This is basically what Apple would have done years ago if the Mac was their only focus, as it's somewhat of the natural evolution of the iMac G4 design. But Apple had bigger fish to fry, thankfully. 
    Why can't Apple do both?
    Because the iPhone was a bet the company move and they didn't have the cash? And desktops are a small declining market?
  • Reply 82 of 198
    Like Google, Microsoft is laughably & falsely comparing their Oranges to Apples to avoid the obvious fact that they're competing with their OEM Partners who would suffer if these new machines gained any traction.  Of course the Windows fanboys (and apparently Apple fans boys as well) play along like Lenova, HP, Dell, etc. don't exist.   Get real people.
    randominternetpersonration alpalomine
  • Reply 83 of 198
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    Once artists, musicians, etc delve into the day-to-day reality of things like needing end-to-end colour matching or low-latency audio when using Windows, they'll realize that things don't look so good under the surface.  People working in the industry already know this from experience.  Good quality 3rd party hardware/software can help overcome some of these problems, but a Mac can do it out-of-the-box.
    edited October 2016 ration alpalomine
  • Reply 84 of 198
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    flaneur said:
    wiggin said:
    flaneur said:
    It might be a good product, but Microsoft's tin ear subverts the presentation as usual, starting with the name "Surface," which has zero appeal. I mean, how two-dimensional and anti-tactile can you get, calling a touch-screen device by a generic topological term? So left-brained.

Yeah, that would be about as silly as if Apple came up with a box that connected to your television and called it something mundane like "Apple TV".  B
    Not the same. You missed the point. "Surface" is a repellant  name for a touchscreen device. It's deep, psychological. Microsoft people are not expected to understand.

Yes!  "Surface" describes a 2D space.  It's ironic that the 1st half of the preso was pushing 3D Creativity update to Windows 10.

Exactly, thanks. But now you've got me having to watch the event, since I'm all for 3D. We'll see if they mean stereo 3D video, i.e., left and right video channels. I couldn't tell from the AI story here earlier.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 85 of 198
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    The small disk that interacts with the screen is pretty cool.  Wonder if that is real.

Million dollar idea for someone through, make that stand for the iPad pro.

• Reply 86 of 198
    Rayz2016 said:
    If the leaked picture of the Macbook Pro is anything to go by, then Cook has got his work cut out for him tomorrow. It looks like MS has actually found its design chops and come up with something a little bit different. I don't know how well it will work in practice, but unless Apple shows something truly groundbreaking tomorrow then the noise from this Surface thing is going to drown out the whole event.

Yes, the Surface is expensive, but I don't think MS is aiming at the masses with this device. I think they're aiming it squarely at the Apple's design market, who may look seriously at this machine if Apple doesn't come up with something that looks vaguely professional.

What can I say? Nice job Microsoft.

There's a reason Microsoft is targeting the high end. A high price give the impression something is the best. Plus Microsoft is obviously trying to compete with Apple not cheap Windows OEMs. Steve Ballmer said he thought Microsoft was the only one who could challenge Apple in the hardware space. He wasn't totally wrong.
  • Reply 87 of 198
    thewhitefalcon said:
    And desktops are a small declining market? 
    Well, they really oughtn’t be now that tablets exist. Tablets and phones for on the go, and a powerful desktop to manage your smart devices at home. Now, those chinese cameras–the hacking of which caused the DDoS–show that the idea of Internet-connected appliances is lunacy, but if you have them on just your local network, managed from your desktop…
  • Reply 88 of 198
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 803member
    sog35 said:
    Wow.

Tim Cook has actually allowed Microsoft.....MICROSOFT!!!! MICROSOFT!!!! to out innovate Apple!

pathetic.

Cook needs to be fired. If we see nothing amazing on Thursday, this guy needs to be shown the door.
    I don't agree with you on anything, but I do on this. I expect a 8-10% surge in the share price when it happens.

Apple is good at quickly axing products when they don't sell, now the board needs to ax Cook and get a devoted, creative, enthusiastic, energetic product* guy in.

*"Product" may also mean "Service", but someone that cares about the things they sell, not just how they sell them or how they build them.
    edited October 2016 rex99
  • Reply 89 of 198
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    sog35 said:
    yellolion said:
    cali said:
     Out of all days they decide to announce an iMac clone the day before Apple special event. Coincidence? 
    Maybe but you can all but guarantee the Apple event will be just as boring as the last few... look at what Apple has released (to date) this year that is truly innovative... or last year for that matter??? I love Apple but last few years for me, they just aren't the creative/exciting company they used to be...
    I need to agree.

iPhone6, iPhone6s, iPhone7 - not innovative at all. Just bigger screens.

Apple Watch - simply an iPhone accessory at this point

iPad - been stagnant. Dropping sales proves the point

Mac - nothing special

Lets face it. Tim Cook and the current leadership is more concerned about keeping Apple profits up than innovation.

Cook needs to be fired.
    Ive needs to be reassigned.
    Apple needs a new CEO with Vision and Passion. Two things Cook lacks. Guy is so friken boring every single event.
    Ive has just lost it in his unending desire to make things thinner. WE need new design blood.

What the fuck? I swear to God you're some kind of schizophrenic, your account seems to be controlled by 10 different posters, all of who are unstable and make random bouts of sensationalism, either by defending Apple or shitting on them in the most extreme way like you did now, with no basis in facts. The last 3 generation of iPhones introduced just "bigger screens"?  What a terrible, intellectually dishonest troll you are. You get these panic and manic attacks every time any other company introduces a new product, it's ridiculously sad. I've asked you to seek help dozens of times, as have others on this board, and I still stick by that. Get some help for your own mental health. 
    edited October 2016 irelandlkrupptmaytallest skilericthehalfbeefastasleeppalominenolamacguyuraharawatto_cobra
  • Reply 90 of 198
    Ben Bajarin tweeted that the traditional PC category matters more to Microsoft than Apple. Maybe so because they don't have a popular mobile phone OS but that's some spin. Microsoft is targeting Apple's traditional Mac customer base. Would be a crying shame to see Apple cede this space to someone else.
    ration al
  • Reply 91 of 198
    flaneur said:
    flaneur said:
    wiggin said:
    flaneur said:
    It might be a good product, but Microsoft's tin ear subverts the presentation as usual, starting with the name "Surface," which has zero appeal. I mean, how two-dimensional and anti-tactile can you get, calling a touch-screen device by a generic topological term? So left-brained.

Yeah, that would be about as silly as if Apple came up with a box that connected to your television and called it something mundane like "Apple TV".  B
    Not the same. You missed the point. "Surface" is a repellant  name for a touchscreen device. It's deep, psychological. Microsoft people are not expected to understand.

Yes!  "Surface" describes a 2D space.  It's ironic that the 1st half of the preso was pushing 3D Creaters update to Windows 10.

Exactly, thanks. But now you've got me having to watch the event, since I'm all for 3D. We'll see if they mean stereo 3D video, i.e., left and right video channels. I couldn't tell from the AI story here earlier.
    Well, there was some time spent showing how they capture 3D by moving a camera around real digital 3D object -- like a sand castle built at the beach.  They add other digital 3D objects to create a scene. Then they spoil the scene by adding a 2D digital picture an 2D background image.  They manipulate the objects so they are aligned correctly on the z axis.  

But when they rotate the scene you can see that it's a combination of 2D and 3D objects.  

Kinda' like creating a pseudo-3D effect [with a 2D camera] in Apple Motion. 

edited October 2016
  • Reply 92 of 198
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Ben Bajarin tweeted that the traditional PC category matters more to Microsoft than Apple. Maybe so because they don't have a popular mobile phone OS but that's some spin. Microsoft is targeting Apple's traditional Mac customer base. Would be a crying shame to see Apple cede this space to someone else.
    Agreed. Apple need a Mac product event, like, tomorrow.
    edited October 2016 randominternetpersonpalominewatto_cobra
  • Reply 93 of 198
    I can say the one thing of many that keeps me an Apple Customer....their Customer Service....I had a MS Office issue that I had to go to Microsoft about....It was maddening! Their Techs are idiots! Made me really appreciate Apple Customer service....they are the best!
    irelandRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 94 of 198
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    auxio said:
    ...they'll realize that things don't look so good under the surface.  
    I see what you did there. 
    auxio
  • Reply 95 of 198
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    flaneur said:
    wiggin said:
    flaneur said:

edit — Here's a way to maybe understand. When the iPad came out, some people observed that the touch interface gave you the impression of reaching in to the screen and directly manipulating the software as tactile objects under the screen. "Touch" conveys this depth. "Surface" is about a barrier to that depth. It all happens at a deeper level than the typical left-brained Microsoftian recognizes.
    I get what you are saying, but disagree that the word "surface" has such strong, negative connotations to it. You are over-thinking it and/or assuming a surface is only associated with a liquid that you can reach into (ie, depth). The typical consumer simply doesn't think that deeply (no pun intended). It's a work surface, just like my work bench, my desk, and my kitchen counter top. None of those things are barriers, quite the opposite. They are supportive of getting my work done.
  • Reply 96 of 198
    ireland said:
    So it's just about having an event? I hope they blow us away tomorrow. Just an oled touch bar replacing function keys isn't blow away.
  • Reply 97 of 198
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    So after all these years both Google and Microsoft suddenly realize that Apple was right all along. Controlling the software AND the hardware is a good thing, that the Walled Garden approach isn’t so bad after all. I guess pigs do fly.
    tmayration aluraharawatto_cobra
  • Reply 98 of 198
    Microsoft getting better at PR.

"Surface Studio is without a doubt the best digital drawing experience I have ever tried."

• Reply 99 of 198
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    ireland said:
    So it's just about having an event? I hope they blow us away tomorrow. Just an oled touch bar replacing function keys isn't blow away.
    Blow us away how exactly? Sounds pretty ethereal to me. Sounds like the perfect setup to claim “BORING” no matter what is released. Okay, here’s my prediction. No matter what is announced tomorrow you will be here shitting on it. Let’s see if I’m right.
    edited October 2016 irelandfastasleepwatto_cobrawonkothesane
  • Reply 100 of 198
    Microsoft is definitely going after Apple's mindshare of creative professionals. I think in relation to their past, Microsoft has out innovated Apple. However, Microsoft is still fundamentally a software company and hardware is still a relatively small portion of their business. These devices, including the Surface Book, are targeted at high end professionals so they will likely be at least a profitable venture for the company. It will be interesting to see how Apple's announcements tomorrow compare. Will we see a few surprises?  :)