Sharp CEO supposedly confirms Apple to use OLED in next-generation iPhone

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
Newly appointed CEO of Japanese display maker Sharp, Tai Jeng-wu, this weekend seemingly confirmed widespread rumors claiming Apple plans to incorporate OLED panels in a next-generation iPhone.

Edge-to-edge iPhone display concept by Martin Hajek.

Tai commented on Apple's future plans in an address to students at his alma mater Tatung University, which on Saturday presented the tech industry executive with an honorary doctorate degree, Nikkei reports.

"The iPhone has been evolving and now it is switching from LTPS (low-temperature poly-silicon) to OLED panels," Tai said. "We don't know whether Apple's OLED iPhones will be a hit, but if Apple doesn't walk down this path and transform itself, there will be no innovation. It is a crisis but it is also an opportunity."

Tai, who was appointed to his position at Sharp in August and also acts as an executive at its new parent company Foxconn, is in a position to know. Sharp has for years supplied LCD panels to Apple for use in a variety of products, while Foxconn handles a large bulk of the U.S. tech giant's manufacturing.

The chief executive went on to say that Sharp is building out a new OLED facility in Japan, adding the company could potentially produce OLED panels in the U.S. if so required.

"If our key customer demands us to manufacture in the U.S., is it possible for us not to do so?" Tai said.

Beyond the brief mention, however, Tai failed to offer specifics on a potential OLED iPhone launch timeline. The context of Tai's comments are also unknown, and the missive might simply be commentary on rumors dating back to last year.

Industry insiders expect Apple to launch a next-generation iPhone with flexible OLED display and unique "glass sandwich" design in 2017. Reports in June indicated both Samsung and Sharp planned to OLED shipments by the end of 2017, likely in anticipation of massive orders from Apple.

Whether Sharp has the capability to ramp up production assets in time is unclear. Last month, the display maker announced plans to infuse $568 million into its OLED business as soon as the second quarter of 2018.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 81
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    I'm betting this new guy doesn't last past next August.
    tallest skilmacseekertycho24lmagooration aldoozydozenrobertwalterindyfx
  • Reply 2 of 81
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    So they hire a CEO who does not understand basic confidentiality agreements.  And, manages to trash  Apple in the process

All in his first 30 days on the job.  What a joke 
    tallest skilmobiusmacseekertycho24mejsricbrakkenlmagoonolamacguyration aldoozydozen
  • Reply 3 of 81
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Why are OLED displays in this context described as flexible when flexing is not relevant? Perhaps 'compliant' would be a better description. Saying that Apple needs to 'transform itself' doesn't bode well for this guy's future in the supply chain.
    brakkenlmagoodoozydozenrobertwalteranton zuykovjony0
  • Reply 4 of 81
    I hate that the 4.7" iPhone gets treated like a second class citizen. Not everyone wants a phablet. Apple brought OIS to the 4.7" model. That leads me to believe bringing stuff to 5.5" model only isn't technical but for upsell purposes.
    edited October 2016 tallest skillmagoocalijahaja80s_Apple_Guybaconstangramanpfaff
  • Reply 5 of 81
    I hate that the 4.7" iPhone gets treated like a second class citizen. Not everyone wants a phablet. Apple brought OIS to the 4.7" model. That leads me to believe bringing stuff to 5.5" model only isn't technical but for upsell purposes.
    Nevermind the fact it took them 2 additional generations to get it into the 4.7" model.  If it was just for upsell purposes, why not put it in the 6s? Why wait for the 7? I'm sure there is some pressure to differentiate and justify the higher price, but screen size and battery life more than justify it. It's not like they withheld water resistance or things like that from the smaller model.

Edit: fixed a couple typos
    edited October 2016 brakkennolamacguydoozydozen
  • Reply 6 of 81
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Fully agree. The 4.7" iPhone shouldn't the stepchild of the 5.5" model. When people buy Apple products, they're willing to pay a premium for the devices, so preference, not cost, is the deciding factor.
    The two models should be equal in everything except size.
    rogifan_newlmagoocalijahajabaconstang
  • Reply 7 of 81
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Wow.  Did this newly-appointed head of a company hanging on by the skin of its teeth just tell Apple what it should do to survive?

brakkenlmagoocaliration aldoozydozenrobertwaltermagman1979indyfxjony0
  • Reply 8 of 81
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Forget about secrecy for the moment—we don't work for Apple; we are its customers. Who's looking forward to OLED?

Also I still haven't seen an iPhone mockup that makes sense of the rumour or an on screen home button. Wouldn't surprise me to see the Home button in iPhone 8 embedded into a shorter chin somehow. If it's on screen how don't I hit it while typing on this keyboard, would it not be in the way of my space bar? And it it only appears when I hit 'done', wouldn't the slightest of software bugs hide the button away from me.

No one seems to have cracked this yet. If it's two taps to get to the home button like we see on some Android phones that will be a worse UX than now.
    edited October 2016 baconstangdoozydozenmagman1979lolliverjony0
  • Reply 9 of 81
    I didn't realise before I read this that Apple are still using IPS LCD - in a 2016/2017 device, that's hilarious. OLD-tech display, no HD on the small phone, no SD slot, can't copy files on and off. But, but, but you can get it in shiny black - hahahahahahahh, I have to stop or I'll wet myself.
  • Reply 10 of 81
    jaffa said:
    I didn't realise before I read this that Apple are still using IPS LCD - in a 2016/2017 device, that's hilarious. OLD-tech display, no HD on the small phone, no SD slot, can't copy files on and off. But, but, but you can get it in shiny black - hahahahahahahh, I have to stop or I'll wet myself.
    Yes and more consistent and reliable hardware and more stable OS and better quality third party apps and way more app exclusives and better case and gadget ecosystem and by far better after sales and support and immediate OS updates for five years and faster professors and much better RAM management and flagship 4" offering. It's tough out there—won't you pity us.
    edited October 2016 Morkbrakkencalijahajapscooter63nolamacguy80s_Apple_Guybaconstangration aldoozydozen
  • Reply 11 of 81
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    jaffa said:
    1334x750 > 720p, which is HD.
    calibaconstangration aldoozydozenmagman1979lolliverwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 12 of 81
    ireland said:
    jaffa said:
    Yes and more consistent and reliable hardware and more stable OS and better quality third party apps and way more app exclusives and better case and gadget ecosystem and by far better after sales and support and immediate OS updates for five years and faster professors and much better RAM management and flagship 4" offering. It's tough out there—won't you pity us.
    More stable OS is arguable these days. Both Android and iOS get the same grades when it comes to stability. 
  • Reply 13 of 81
    Statement 1: "if Apple doesn't walk down this path and transform itself, there will be no innovation."
    Statement 2: "It is a crisis but it is also an opportunity.""

Both are false.  Apple continues to innovate in many ways, including the recent Wide Color inclusion. And this certainly is not a "crisis"; that's pure hyperbole.
    brakkenlmagoocalinolamacguybaconstangration aldoozydozenmagman1979iqatedololliver
  • Reply 14 of 81
    Dracarys said:
    ireland said:
    jaffa said:
    More stable OS is arguable these days. Both Android and iOS get the same grades when it comes to stability. 
    That's not what I hear from users.
    lmagoocalidoozydozenmagman1979lolliverwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 15 of 81
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    If you read carefully what Sharp CEO said. It is more opinion than fact(detailed info) like we all give in comments all over web blogs. Moreover, uninformed people complain that why Apple didn't include OLED in iPhone 6/6S. None of us own OLED manufacturing to supply required capacity to Apple. or know world wide production capacity or at what cost when millions of panels of OLED required for iphone when the worldwide production is still constrained. You think Samsung would not squeeze Apple when time comes to supply OLED over it's own needs when world wide OLED supply is constrained.. So, it is easy to read here and their on web and make jibber-jabber comments..
    edited October 2016 doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 81
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    jaffa said:
    But on the plus side, it doesn't explode. 
    calirobin huberpscooter63nolamacguybaconstangration aldoozydozenmagman1979lolliverMacPro
  • Reply 17 of 81
    What the f*ck is the guy talking about? Doesn't know if the new iPhone will be a hit? When has it not been the best selling smart phone? No OLED, no innovation? WTF is he talking about? How is adding an OLED screen years later innovative? While it may be a welcome addition I wouldn't consider using a near industry standard innovative. If I hear that word used again in reference to OLED screens I'm going to lose it.
    caliai46doozydozenmagman1979
  • Reply 18 of 81
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    ireland said:
    Forget about secrecy for the moment—we don't work for Apple; we are its customers. Who's looking forward to OLED?

Also I still haven't seen an iPhone mockup that makes sense of the rumour or an on screen home button. Wouldn't surprise me to see the Home button in iPhone 8 embedded into a shorter chin somehow. If it's on screen how don't I hit it while typing on this keyboard, would it not be in the way of my space bar? And it it only appears when I hit 'done', wouldn't the slightest of software bugs hide the button away from me.

No one seems to have cracked this yet. If it's two taps to get to the home button like we see on some Android phones that will be a worse UX than now.
    The deep black levels are nice with OLED, the display showing black will blend right into the black bezel. I don't expect they'd ever place physical breaks in the display to allow for the home button, camera and speaker. You can see the front-facing camera and home button on the iPhone 7 here and where the display stops:

Newer display tech will allow for putting the display around objects:

http://www.sharp-world.com/corporate/news/140618.html

but the objects are still larger than the holes at the front of the iPhone. The iPhone front-facing camera used to be in the middle at the top but was moved to the left on the iPhone 6. They should be able to reduce the bezel size but I can't see them putting the display all the way up and down. The following Android phone (Oppo) has an edge to edge screen and clean upper and lower bezels:

The following Elephone P9000 has a similar layout:

I don't think the screen going all the way to the edge looks nice, the second one looks nicer where the display remains flat. They can have a printed home icon at the bottom like that and the bottom bezel can become a gesture bar. When you activate multi-tasking just now, the current app slides to the right so the gesture bar could have a slide from left to right gesture and it would pull the current app over and the other apps can pull along with the gesture and you'd slide left to put it back. They'd have to allow for landscape orientation.

The display could go all the way down if they remove the physical home button and show contextual icons like a back button in Safari but I think use of that part of the display would be restricted so that it doesn't make the front look uneven. They could put a finger print icon at the bottom on raise-to-wake and they could animate the scan. They could also put media controls on it when music is playing and the main display is off to avoid having to power on the display to pause or switch tracks.

They can't improve the appearance of the upper bezel much, people will always need a speaker for calls and a front-facing camera. I think the cleanest they can make this is to have the hole for the camera in the middle and have the speaker round the outside of it.

To make something like in the article image, they have to fix the speaker and camera to the back surface of the phone rather than the front and just leave a hole in the display and extrude those components away from the back. It might be tricky to seal that up and make it even in every phone. Again though, I don't think they'd split the display like that because people would have to swipe over the speaker and camera.
    pscooter63Solidoozydozen
  • Reply 19 of 81
    "If our key customer demands us to manufacture in the U.S., is it possible for us not to do so?" Tai said.

Uh, yes.  Yes it is possible, because customers don't own you.  Weird dude.
    brakkencalibaconstangdoozydozenlolliver
  • Reply 20 of 81
    Statement 1: "if Apple doesn't walk down this path and transform itself, there will be no innovation."
    Statement 2: "It is a crisis but it is also an opportunity.""

Both are false.  Apple continues to innovate in many ways, including the recent Wide Color inclusion. And this certainly is not a "crisis"; that's pure hyperbole.
    I expect you're overreacting to a poor translation.  I think he's just saying that change is hard, but necessary.  Not controversial at all.
    doozydozen