Apple activates single sign-on for tvOS and iOS beta testers

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited November 2016
Apple on Thursday activated single sign-on for tvOS 10.1 beta and iOS 10.2 beta, a hotly anticipated feature that allows fourth-generation Apple TV and iOS device owners to authenticate multiple streaming service apps with one set of credentials.

Activated earlier tonight, the feature gives beta testers a more seamless content viewing experience by sharing login information with their pay TV service, Apple and third party apps. Acting as a universal login across a variety of apps, single sign-on enables a pay TV provider to automatically verify, and grant access to, streaming content that is part of a user's subscription.

For example, customers who subscribe to HBO through their TV provider can use the forthcoming feature to automatically log in to the HBO Now tvOS app, as well as apps from basic cable channels.

To initialize single sign-on, users must enter pay TV account credentials, specifically a username and password, into a new TV Provider menu option found in the Settings app on both tvOS and iOS (Settings > Accounts for tvOS). Apple's current beta versions are limited to Dish, GVTC, Hotwire Communications and Sling TV, though support for additional providers is expected before the feature sees release.

Apple first announced single sign-on at the Worldwide Developers Conference in June, answering the call of customers who find it cumbersome to enter account details every time they download and install a new streaming app.

Initially promised to launch with tvOS 10, the feature was not available in beta builds until today.

It is unclear when Apple will make single sign-on available to the general public, but its activation today suggests a wide rollout is in the offing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Come on, Cox, pull your heads out...
  • Reply 2 of 17
    So...did Apple not discuss SSO with the cable cos before announcing it? Because this is even worse than it looks; SlingTV and Dish are both owned by the same parent company, which means they got a whole three companies to agree. 
  • Reply 3 of 17
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    At last SSO sees the light of day on AppleTV, But, AT&T Uverse,Time Warner, Comcast, etc need to be supported for wide adoption..Unfortunately, not Apple but those dinosaur TV cable companies resist the change and unwilling to cooperate !!
    edited November 2016 libertyforall
  • Reply 4 of 17
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    wood1208 said:
    At last SSO sees the light of day on AppleTV, But, AT&T Uverse,Time Warner, Comcast, etc need to be supported for wide adoption..Unfortunately, not Apple but those dinosaur TV cable companies resist the change !!
    They'll have to change eventually...it only takes one to sign on with something great and the rest will have to follow in some capacity. Its a waiting game...eventually TV will start to fail and change will be forced upon them. IMO, TV is already starting to fail. If Comcrap, Spectrum (TW Cable), Cox, etc all think they can just keep going on like they've always been they're in for a major surprise within the next couple of years. 
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Where's DirecTV?
  • Reply 6 of 17
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    "For example, customers who subscribe to HBO through their TV provider can use the forthcoming feature to automatically log in to the HBO Now tvOS app, as well as apps from basic cable channels."

HBO Now is the stand-alone HBO streaming service and would not work with this feature. HBO Go will work with the cable company sign in.
    john.b
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Great feature, but, it looks like more content providers are opting out than in. Screwed again....
  • Reply 8 of 17
    rwesrwes Posts: 200member
    Sounds promising: "If you don't see your TV provider, sign in directly from the app you want to use."

I'm hoping that even if not everyone jumps aboard the single sign-on wagon, Apple has exposed some method to authenticate (via the provider app) without needing to head to a website!

Would also be nice in cases such as mine where I use Sling, but have other promotional 'channels' via my cable subscription as well. And I'm sure cases where friends/family are using/sharing credentials.
    libertyforall
  • Reply 9 of 17
    That's great, but how about required two devices idea (and the best oe is at thesk and another in another state for good security)?
  • Reply 10 of 17
    bbhbbh Posts: 134member
    For what it's worth department....

Comcast added NETFLIX to its' X1 platform. If they could reach a deal with Amazon, I'd only need my Apple TV and ROKU for Mirroring. They also have Pandora as a separate app.

edited November 2016
  • Reply 11 of 17
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    wow it has sling TV. Hmm might be time to sign up
    alphafox
  • Reply 12 of 17
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I hope we start seeing articles about single-sign-on adoptees the way we've seen articles on AI about banks and credit unions supporting Apple Pay.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Kind of pointless without Comcast and AT&T support!   :#
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Amazon Video sucks without an ATV app and GoogleCast support!  
  • Reply 15 of 17
    rwes said:
    Sounds promising: "If you don't see your TV provider, sign in directly from the app you want to use."

I'm hoping that even if not everyone jumps aboard the single sign-on wagon, Apple has exposed some method to authenticate (via the provider app) without needing to head to a website!

Would also be nice in cases such as mine where I use Sling, but have other promotional 'channels' via my cable subscription as well. And I'm sure cases where friends/family are using/sharing credentials.
    Yea, can we integrate Keychain support on ATV to eliminate typing the same credentials over and over again?!
  • Reply 16 of 17
    I am hoping for ATSC 3.0 support in Apple TV 5 (iPhones/iPads/Apple Watch too!) -- this would enable some new content on the same box and ATSC 3.0 is all IP based!  Broadcast over antenna to the home and mobile!  Coming in 2017!

http://atsc.org
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Finally! The long awaited SSO feature gets released annnnnnnnnnd no one can use it. Awesome.