AppleInsider podcast talks MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, the meaning of 'Pro,' and iPhone ne...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2017
This week on the AppleInsider podcast, Victor and Dan discuss MacBook Pros, what makes a Pro machine 'Pro', and the latest in iPhone news and rumors.

AppleInsider editors Daniel Eran Dilger and Victor Marks wrap up the controversy over MacBook Pro:
  • What are the complaints about the MacBook Pro
  • What's historical pricing like
  • Setting the stage for faster storage
  • Touch Bar supply shortage appears to delay delivery of MacBook Pro
  • Pricing of these machines
  • What it's like to use the Touch Bar
The show is available on iTunes and your favorite podcast apps by searching for "AppleInsider." Click here to listen, subscribe, and don't forget to rate our show.

Listen to the embedded SoundCloud feed below:

Show note links: Follow our hosts on Twitter: @DanielEran and @vmarks.

Feedback and comments are always appreciated. Please contact the AppleInsider podcast at [email protected] and follow us on Twitter @appleinsider, plus Facebook and Instagram.

Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at [email protected].

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    2016 Macbook pro killed the meaning of PRO designation. This one is PASS and wait for the next update when included Intel 10nm cannon/Ice/Tiger lake processors, without 16GB RAM limit, X3 Point Optane SSD. And price is reasonable.
    edited November 2016 applecored
  • Reply 2 of 7
    wood1208 said:
    2016 Macbook pro killed the meaning of PRO designation. This one is PASS and wait for the next update when included Intel 10nm cannon/Ice/Tiger lake processors, without 16GB RAM limit, X3 Point Optane SSD. And price is reasonable.
    That's approximately 2 years away. Great for your wallet if you're that patient.
    jony0
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Guys (AppleInsider), you can't be serious! A company that makes BILLIONS in profits every year can't afford to update a a few niche products every other year? Not re-design, just update! That's just short sighted profit maximisation at the expense of long-term market share.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 4 of 7
    hucom2000 said:
    Guys (AppleInsider), you can't be serious! A company that makes BILLIONS in profits every year can't afford to update a a few niche products every other year? Not re-design, just update! That's just short sighted profit maximisation at the expense of long-term market share.
    They're not meant to be serious.
    They're meant to shill and cheer.
    Don't you know? Apple is without flaws!
  • Reply 5 of 7
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    It was great to finally here DED express some criticism of Apple regarding SIRI and SEARCH.    Its sad that Apple has fallen so far behind.   Yes its ok at some things like setting timers, etc.  Earlier in the year DED did an article on SIRI and at the time I was considering getting an Echo.   Decided to wait in hopes that Apple would surprise us with its version of a home hub.   October finally came an no iHUB  so I ordered an Echo.   Alexa is real good.   Never has a problem understanding my command from either across the room or even in the next room.    I'm going to get Google Home to compare with it.   I've come to the conclusion that SIRI is at least two years away from being good enough to play in this space.  Its sad and also dangerous for Apples future.   (I'm shocked that Apple can't do something like Echo).    Hoping Apple gets in gear because I really love my SE and prefer the Apple ecosystem, but now I am willing look else where.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    blitz1 said:
    hucom2000 said:
    They're not meant to be serious.
    They're meant to shill and cheer.
    Don't you know? Apple is without flaws!
    Updates are inevitably a redesign at the electronic level. When parts update and the interconnects for them physically or electrically change, you have to redesign the board layout to accommodate the new parts. If you want them to perform at their peak, you have to redesign the board layout to optimize for them. Essentially, you end up with the physical enclosure as the defining constraint. It's work, and it's not as easy as you make it sound, especially at the motherboard level. There are a ton of things that can go wrong, and you have to test, revise the board test again, and it takes time. 
  • Reply 7 of 7
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor

k2kw said:
    It was great to finally here DED express some criticism of Apple regarding SIRI and SEARCH.    Its sad that Apple has fallen so far behind.   Yes its ok at some things like setting timers, etc.  Earlier in the year DED did an article on SIRI and at the time I was considering getting an Echo.   Decided to wait in hopes that Apple would surprise us with its version of a home hub.   October finally came an no iHUB  so I ordered an Echo.   Alexa is real good.   Never has a problem understanding my command from either across the room or even in the next room.    I'm going to get Google Home to compare with it.   I've come to the conclusion that SIRI is at least two years away from being good enough to play in this space.  Its sad and also dangerous for Apples future.   (I'm shocked that Apple can't do something like Echo).    Hoping Apple gets in gear because I really love my SE and prefer the Apple ecosystem, but now I am willing look else where.
    Can't? Or just hasn't released yet?

What we know for sure, is there's power in being second to market, but better. Right now, Alexa is an experiment. I'm glad it works for you, but it doesn't work for a number of people, who either have to train it to understand them, or it simply doesn't work at all. Additionally, you have to know the syntax for each of the skills (Alexa, Tell Geneva to set to Bake, 350º, for 20 minutes) and the same is true for Google Home (I have one of those, too) "OK Google, play KROQ from TuneIn" - this works, but "Play Longmire from Netflix on my TV" doesn't, even though they say it will. Siri is better at understanding people today, but hasn't made a speaker yet, even though they have HomeKit which works with Siri from the get-go and are just now getting 3rd party services on board for media.

The Siri Speaker from Apple is coming, wait for the TV app to get good for all the pieces to fall into place. I think you're mistaken when you say Siri is at least two years away from being good enough.