Apple to replace batteries of iPhone 6s units suffering from unexpected shutdowns [u]

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2016
It seems Apple has run into its own smartphone battery troubles. Days after the company launched an iPhone 6 Plus repair program for units impacted by so-called "touch disease" faults, a new initiative activated on Sunday seeks to replace a batch of iPhone 6s batteries causing unexpected device shutdowns.

Announced through Apple's website, the new program targets a "very small" number of iPhone 6s units that may exhibit unexpected shutdowns due to apparent battery problems. .

The company was quick to note devices experiencing shutdown related issues do not present a safety risk, wording likely included to allay fears that iPhone is suffering from battery problems similar to catastrophic failures recently seen impacting Samsung products.

Earlier this year the Korean tech giant was dealt a major blow when battery components in its flagship Galaxy Note 7 device began to explode under normal operating conditions. Samsung subsequently halted sales and completed a global recall. Problems persisted in replacement units, prompting the company to discontinue the device altogether.

According to Apple, the iPhone 6s defect only affects a batch of devices manufactured between September and October 2015.

Like past replacement programs, users who have experienced a shutdown issue can take their phone into an Apple store or authorized repair facility for inspection. Agents will crosscheck device serial numbers against Apple's database and, if necessary, replace the battery free of charge. The program covers affected device batteries for three years after first retail sale.

Alternatively, owners of affected iPhone 6s units who paid to replace their battery out of pocket can contact Apple for a refund.

Update: Apple's replacement program arrives after the China Consumers Association last week asked Apple to investigate complaints from consumers relating to sudden and sometimes permanent iPhone 6 and 6s shutdowns. While AppleInsider has learned that this particular repair program is completely unrelated to the probe, iPhone 6s battery replacements for the limited range of iPhones affected are being made available on a worldwide basis.

Today's news comes days after Apple launched an iPhone 6 Plus repair program to address devices affected by a screen anomaly dubbed "touch disease."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,087member
    "Debacle".  LOL
  • Reply 2 of 41
    Thankfully!

I have called into apple many times, diagnostics over the phone, taken it in to support centers, apple store...all said it was fine.  Hopefully now I can have a normal phone. It just shuts off for no reason at different battery percentages and no consistency.
    baconstangsimply258GeorgeBMacjony0
  • Reply 3 of 41
    Strange that Apple has waited until Q4 for issuing all these recalls, fixes. Last week, the SE model was discontinued too. Seems like Apple only wants to offer the iPhone 7 (without headphone jack) this holiday season. My recalled iPhone will have a out-of-hand cost £180 to repair, or they've offered me £200 off a phone without a headphone jack. Have they figured out the kinks on those magical earbuds yet..? £20 says they'll be recalled before Father's Day.
    edited November 2016 avon b7
  • Reply 4 of 41
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    In a lot of ways not comparable to Samsung's real "debacle".
    GeorgeBMacjony0
  • Reply 5 of 41
    How can anyone dislike (1 dislike on my previous post) the fact I am grateful that Apple is acknowledging an issue with my phone despite many attempts to reach out and get it fixed, ultimately with no one in the process believing it was a problem?
    baconstangGeorgeBMactasconjony0
  • Reply 6 of 41
    So this issue gets a free battery replacement but the so-called "touch-disease" requires customers to pay for Apple to fix it? Is that because it wasn't brought to Apple's attention by a Chinese consumer watchdog group?
    zimmermannGeorgeBMacdasanman69
  • Reply 7 of 41
    Strange that Apple has waited until Q4 for issuing all these recalls, fixes. Last week, the SE model was discontinued too. Seems like Apple only wants to offer the iPhone 7 (without headphone jack) this holiday season. My recalled iPhone will have a out-of-hand cost £180 to repair, or they've offered me £200 off a phone without a headphone jack. Have they figured out the kinks on those magical earbuds yet..? £20 says they'll be recalled before Father's Day.
    A quick check of the online Apple store shows the SE is still available in the US.   Also my carrier, Virgin Mobile US, is still selling them with a $100 discount.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    I would rather an unexpected shutdown than an unexpected explosion. 
    bucksterdavenration alwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 9 of 41
    So this issue gets a free battery replacement but the so-called "touch-disease" requires customers to pay for Apple to fix it? Is that because it wasn't brought to Apple's attention by a Chinese consumer watchdog group?
    No, it's because of Apple's assertion that touch-disease stems from user error -- dropping the phone multiple times on a hard surface -- and therefore Apple is not liable for this as a manufacturing defect.
    macxpresshammerd2ration alstanthemanroundaboutnowwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 10 of 41
    nubusnubus Posts: 355member
    Strange that Apple has waited until Q4 for issuing all these recalls, fixes. 
    To Apple we're in FY 17-Q1. They could have waited to January, released info during election, or while Samsung was being banned from flights. Instead these programs went online when ready. It shows an honest company. We all hate problems but 1x thumbs up to Apple on this one.
    bucksterwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 11 of 41
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    Who told you the SE was discontinued ? What is with the constant apple is evil and has an agenda bullshit. The SE is for sale on Apple.com as I am typing this. What phone was recalled ? The touch disease is a repair program, as is the battery replacement. There was no recall?!

No headphone jack doesn't mean you can't use legacy headphones. If you don't like the adapter that is free in the box with the phone that is another issue. There are many people out there that actually think they removed the headphone jack to force you to buy either Apple's own earbuds or some other Bluetooth headphone they sell. It's amazing how rampant misinformation is that's out there regarding Apple. 

What is with you Samsung folks. Samsung shipped a product that wasn't ready and was unsafe period. It's a fact. They cared nothing for your safety or your family or anyone that could have been impacted by the exploding/ burning battery issue, yet you and your friends are out here in full force trying to disparage apple whenever you can.  It happened get over it. 

You are now reduced to begging for Apple to have a recalled product as your post shows. You called your phone " recalled" it wasn't. You predicted air pods  will be recalled by Father's and they won't be. I'll gladly take that bet. Make sure you bring your money and your big mouth back her on Father's Day so we can make arrangements for you to send me my cash. 

davenGeorgeBMacration alroundaboutnowberndogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 41
    SE is still on sale in UK. Given its popularity, I don't see it disappearing in a hurry. What makes you think it's discontinued?
    ration alroundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 41
    sinophiliasinophilia Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Last week I sent my iPhone 6s to Apple support for this issue, and they sent me a brand new iPhone 3 straightaway. It was manufactured at the end of September 2015 but it had only started to act weird after about a year! How timely :D
  • Reply 14 of 41
    nubusnubus Posts: 355member
    Last week I sent my iPhone 6s to Apple support for this issue, and they sent me a brand new iPhone 3 straightaway. It was manufactured at the end of September 2015 but it had only started to act weird after about a year! How timely :D
    If other users have iPhone 6s and want to swap for a iPhone 3... then just ask :smiley: 
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 41
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    command_f said:
    SE is still on sale in UK. Given its popularity, I don't see it disappearing in a hurry. What makes you think it's discontinued?
    Wishful thinking I expect. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 41
    No, it's because of Apple's assertion that touch-disease stems from user error -- dropping the phone multiple times on a hard surface -- and therefore Apple is not liable for this as a manufacturing defect.
    Would that be their assertion if a Chinese consumer watchdog group had brought this to their attention? just find it curious that they're offering this replacement program after China made a stink.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    Thankfully!

I have called into apple many times, diagnostics over the phone, taken it in to support centers, apple store...all said it was fine.  Hopefully now I can have a normal phone. It just shuts off for no reason at different battery percentages and no consistency.

There's a difference (as you know) between:  'all said it was fine"  and "we can't find the problem"
    edited November 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 41
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Would that be their assertion if a Chinese consumer watchdog group had brought this to their attention? just find it curious that they're offering this replacement program after China made a stink.

Call it the cost of doing business in China. 

http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/11/18/flawed-3rd-party-chargers-reportedly-culprit-in-apples-china-iphone-6-investigation

watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 41
    What I find really perplexing is Apple has all these self-appointed Apple product watchdogs nitpicking over every problem that shows up. It's very normal for high-tech consumer products to have some defective units. There's no such thing as zero-defects for consumer products. Smartphones are very high-use items and they surely see more use and abuse than any other products around. What I find really puzzling is that Samsung is able to sell tens of millions more smartphones than Apple and yet where are all the complaints. Are there no problems being reported for Samsung's high-end Galaxy flagship smartphones like the S7 and S7 Edge? I'm sure Samsung must sell at least 20 to 25 million of them.

What about all of Samsung's low-range and mid-range smartphones? Are there no problems with any of them? Where are all the watchdogs claiming at least some of those smartphones have defective units. There's absolutely no way Samsung could sell 70 million smartphones and not have a fair percentage defective units. If the Galaxy Note 7 had major problems, I'm sure there must be other models in Samsung's smartphone lineup that have at least minor problems. Why is it that Apple is always being pointed out as having all these defective iPhones as though it's the only company that have some defective products? I don't care how good quality control is, there are units that will slip through the cracks due to design flaws or component failures. It would be interesting to know what the percentage is. Is it even as high as 1% of all iPhones that have this "touch disease"?  There are a lot of companies selling cut-rate smartphones in order to gain market share.  Some critic is going to say that a $100 smartphone is going to have less failures than a $700 smartphone.  I find that unlikely.  Will a person using a $100 smartphone take better care of it than a person with a $700 smartphone?  Probably not.

Apple has become a highly visible target for all these internet watchdogs and I'm sure out of all those Chinese brands that are being bragged about as being iPhone killers, there have to be plenty of other smartphones that are prone to defects due to rapid sales gains. It's not easy to ramp up product sales without some products having defects. They never seem to talk about this, though. I'm just saying the odds favoring other smartphones are having their share of problems would be somewhat high, so why only go after Apple?
    edited November 2016 RonnnieOwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 41
    revenant said:
    I would rather an unexpected shutdown than an unexpected explosion. 

I would rather an unexpected salmonella infection in my food than an unexpected listeria infection.

... When you buy top of the line food (or top of the line smart phone), most people would rather have neither....

avon b7