With Apple abandoning AirPort, here are the best alternative Wi-Fi routers for Mac users

Comments

• Reply 21 of 121
    tzterri said:
    So what do we use to stream music to speakers now and what do we use for Time Machine backups?
    We will have to spend more money to get separate hardware to do what we've been doing with the Airport all these years.
    baconstangbrian green
  • Reply 22 of 121
    Forgot to put the Linksys WRT1900ACS on that list. AI should check that one out.
  • Reply 23 of 121
    TimT2016TimT2016 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Anybody with an iPad, iPod Touch, Apple TV, or Mac that has had continual network problems despite switching between numerous routers, all I have to do is set up an Airport for them and the problems are gone. This is really a dumb decision, they are shooting themselves in the foot by doing this.
    baconstanghucom2000brian greendysamoria
  • Reply 24 of 121
    danuff said:
    tzterri said:
    So what do we use to stream music to speakers now and what do we use for Time Machine backups?
    We will have to spend more money to get separate hardware to do what we've been doing with the Airport all these years.
    There are lots of "Airplay Receivers" on the market. Here's one:
    https://uedata.amazon.com/MUZO-Cobblestone-Wi-Fi-Audio-Receiver/dp/B00N9NZIKM
    designrDan Andersen
  • Reply 25 of 121
    tzterri said:
    My home theatre receiver supports AirPlay. I can stream right to it, even when it's in low power standby mode. For TM backups, I've been using a 3TB USB 3.0 WD MyBook plugged into a USB 3.0 port on my Synology DS1812+ for the last several years. I've never used my AirPort Extreme 5th gen for any of that stuff.
    designrrandominternetpersonDan Andersen
  • Reply 26 of 121
    Good gravy, those are the most heinous designs ever. I have my Express tucked away near the ceiling on a speaker, which prevents me from enjoying its savory design. However, one of those monstrosities would remain easily visible, but would also sear the image in my brain to be seen waking or sleeping.
    brian greenDan Andersen
  • Reply 27 of 121
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    6toecat said:
    You didn't mention the Peplink AP-One. http://www.peplink.com/products/enterprise-access-point/pepwave-ap-one/ Rock solid like the Apple router, unlike D-Link, and the other trash you mention.
    They have a new SOHO router coming out in a week or so. http://www.peplink.com/products/pepwave-surf-soho/  More features, good security.  This is a very good router.

edited November 2016
  • Reply 28 of 121
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    "We believe in a wireless future."
    - Jony Ive's first sentence in the AirPods introduction video

"... except for boring stuff like routers and Time Capsules."
    - possible update to Jony Ive's first sentence in the AirPods introduction video
    brian greenfreshmakerdysamoriapscooter63
  • Reply 29 of 121
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    sunman42 said:
    Note to self: Head to Apple Store (physically or online) and buy two AirPort Expresses. Based on past experience, that should do me for the next 16 - 24 years.
    The AP products are already outdated. Unless Apple plans one more grand update before they pull the plug, then the current crop will be mostly useless, even before they hit Apple's "Legacy" unsupported status.
  • Reply 30 of 121
    ricky_williams1ricky_williams1 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    The eero system sounds interesting except unless you're from the US it's no dice or insanely priced. I looked at it once and in Canada where I am it's almost $1000 for a 3 router setup I think it was. All the others are ugly but my main problem isn't even so much looks as these companies accountability for security. If Apple didn't patch vulnerabilities it would be all over the media. If TP-Link doesn't push firmware for years no one knows or cares. I am waiting to hear what the real writing is on the wall. The D-Link that supports DD-WRT would probably be my choice though because of DD-WRT. Although it looks like it just needs rotors and it would take off.
  • Reply 31 of 121
    The idea of this article is great and just what I was looking for.  I was hoping for an update to the AE as mine is at least 6 years old and I would to take advantage of the latest WiFi tech (not that I have ever had a problem with my current AE).   

But this article is missing a few things to the point that it is pretty useless.  It needs to answer the following questions in order to raise it from just a click-bait article to something that is actually useful.
    1) Which of these routers are actually compatible with time machine.
    2) Which WiFi protocols do they support. (This was only mentioned in one of the reviews and only in passing).
    3) What about performance testing ?  I want to know which ones actually meet the marketing spiel in the real world.
    4) Do they get frequent updates to the firmware ?  And how easy are the updates to apply ?

I have probably left out a few questions but without these answers then this article is completely useless to me.

randominternetpersonbrian greenration alDan Andersenjvmbdysamoria
  • Reply 32 of 121
    MOBile2DMOBile2D Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I never jumped into the Sonos ecosystem because I've been using Airplay for years, and I rely on Airport Expresses (wired to amplified speakers) to deliver music in multiple rooms. My home music setup is a hi-fi system (with great sound quality) in my living room combined with lots of AE + OK-speakers everywhere else (for convenience, kids, etc)

I know there seems to be alternatives to the Airport Express (honestly never took the time to look at any of them). 

The question is : is there an alternative to the Airport Express that will do the exact same thing? 
    - Easy setup (on the "receiver")
    - Nothing to do for everyone else (aka friends not having to install a special app / perform any custom setup on their devices)
    - Automatically recognized as an Airplay option within iTunes / iOS devices
    - Output a not-too-bad audio signal

edited November 2016
  • Reply 33 of 121
    On a side note, X years later Apple Inc announce they will stop making any Mac desktop and laptop product. 
    brian green
  • Reply 34 of 121
    I love the fact that Apple routers are visually appealing, simple to configure, and are extremely reliable and stable. I utilize my AirPort Extreme for Time Machine backups and my AirPort Express for outdoor speakers powered by a dedicated amplifier - I'd hate to lose either feature. Even though they live in a central wiring closet and are rarely seen, I still don't want a router that looks like a giant arachnid from the toy section of a dollar store.

I hate the fact that they do not have data counters or throttling capabilities - both features are handy for those without unlimited accounts and where uploading at full speed causes downloads to all but stop.

Because my requirements exceed the capabilities of Apple routers, I also have a Cisco RV042G small business router and a Linksys wireless router. The former allows for multiples VLANs, usage monitoring, and throttling while the latter provides reduced download speeds to guests to limit the damage they can do to my bill.
  • Reply 35 of 121
    Has anyone thought about what a Apple TV/tvOS device might look like if it had its own integrated wireless router?

Perhaps especially when you consider the potential of HomeKit?
    williamlondonentropysration al
  • Reply 36 of 121
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    1) Which of these routers are actually compatible with time machine.

None of them, reliably. If you want good Time Machine support, get a NAS or make a home server. That's an entirely different kettle of fish.

2) Which WiFi protocols do they support. (This was only mentioned in one of the reviews and only in passing).

This was a selection criteria. 802.11ac, n, b, a

3) What about performance testing ?  I want to know which ones actually meet the marketing spiel in the real world.

This varies SO MUCH on individual locations. I have my home and a few other locations to run tests, and they'll be different than your location. My suggestion here is find someplace (like an Apple store, or Apple.com) with a generous return policy and make sure that they work in your location. 

4) Do they get frequent updates to the firmware ?  And how easy are the updates to apply ?

This was also one of my selection criteria. All of them get frequent updates, and with the exception of the eero that auto-applies, can be applied through the web-based interface reliably.
    edited November 2016 doozydozendysamoria
  • Reply 37 of 121
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    I'll be in denial for a little longer, at least until Apple formally announces the EOL of Airport products. I hate it when someone like Bloomberg Technology makes a statement based on who knows what about Apple's internal organization. All they're going on is another group of anonymous people making a statement: "Apple began shutting down the wireless router team over the past year, dispersing engineers to other product development groups, including the one handling the Apple TV, said the people, who asked not to be named because the decision hasn’t been publicly announced." If I were Apple, I'd find who made these statements and show them the door, without any severance pay! I'm tired of anonymous statements. If these people don't have the nerve to give their names, then either they are fictitious or they know they'd be fired and sued for disclosing corporate secrets. I'm also tired of companies using anonymous information and getting away with it. 

That said, Apple's Airport Extreme is only $199, so it's at the lower end of the replacement routers described above. What happened to Apple products always costing the most? 
    williamlondonrandominternetpersonking editor the grateration alDan Andersenpscooter63
  • Reply 38 of 121
    ...and they are almost all ugly as hell. i don't even feel curious about seeing whether their software is as seamless as Apple's. 

Thinking whether to quickly buy some of the current models while they last. 

Yes, call me old-fashioned,  but what I always loved was a seamless experience across accessories as well. 

Thats what really made a difference. 

OTOH, I can't imagine the dedicated team has been sitting idle since the last update of the hw, until by coincidence someone noticed they were still around...

I had the same thought on quickly buying some so I ordered one extreme and two expresses - of course, as none of my airports has yet died (some as old as 10 years), perhaps these will never leave their boxes.
  • Reply 39 of 121
    ejieji Posts: 39member
    Don't forget the Asus RT-AC88U. It's got built-in Time Machine functionality (just add external storage) plus a ton of other features like 802.11ad link aggregation, an iTunes server and OpenVPN support. After years of being a loyal DrayTek user, I moved to the RT-AC88U and have been pretty thrilled with its stability, features and performance. It would be my go-to alternative if Apple's Time Capsule is no longer available.
  • Reply 40 of 121
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Has anyone looked at the new Eero software that dropped a few days ago?

I stent some time this morning looking at some good networking alternatives.

After reading the above blog post, it is clear to me that Eero is pulling a few pages from Apple's playbook with their product. It appears to be a more Apple-like software experience than the AirPort has offered in quite some time.

Has anyone here replaced an AirPort network with an Eero?

More specifically, used an Eero with CenturyLink Fiber internet service?