Apple single sign-on feature goes live with support from 9 pay TV providers

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2016
After throwing a spotlight on apps with support for its new single sign-on feature on Monday, and adding a clutch of compatible cable providers today, Apple's streamlined authentication service is now live for all users.

At launch, Apple's hotly anticipated feature is limited to U.S. cable subscribers, though international support is expected to debut at a later date. As its name implies, single sign-on allows fourth-generation Apple TV and iOS device owners to authenticate multiple pay TV video streaming apps with one set of credentials.

Being able to share pay TV account information across streaming apps allows for a seamless viewing experience, Apple says. Acting as a universal login across a variety of apps, single sign-on enables a pay TV provider to automatically verify, and grant access to, streaming content that is part of a user's subscription.

Only four cable providers -- Dish, GVTC, Hotwire Communications and Sling TV -- were participating in Apple's new service when it went live for beta testers in November, but another five were added earlier today in preparation of the public debut. According to a newly published Support Pages document, accounts from CenturyLink Prism, DirecTV, GTA, Hawaiian Telcom and MetroCast can also be used to access the feature.

Apple notes third-party app support from the following titles:
  • A&E (iOS only)
  • Bravo Now (tvOS only)
  • E! Now (tvOS only)
  • Hallmark Channel Everywhere (iOS and tvOS)
  • History (iOS only)
  • Lifetime (iOS only)
  • NBC (tvOS only)
  • Syfy Now (tvOS only)
  • Telemundo Now (tvOS only)
  • USA NOW (tvOS only)
  • Watch HGTV (iOS and tvOS)
  • Watch Food Network (iOS and tvOS)
  • Watch Cooking Channel (iOS and tvOS)
  • Watch DIY (iOS and tvOS)
  • Watch Travel Channel (iOS and tvOS)
To enable single sign-on on an Apple TV running tvOS 10 or later, navigate to Settings > Accounts > TV Provider and select a participating pay TV service. Input your account information, including username and password, into the provided text box.

The process is much the same on an iPhone or iPad running iOS 10 or later. Navigate to Settings > TV Provider , select a desired pay TV service, and sign in with your account information. Users who sign in from an iOS device linked to iCloud will see their TV Provider data sync to all other devices using the same Apple ID.

Apple first announced single sign-on at the Worldwide Developers Conference in June as an answer to complaints from users who found it difficult to enter account details every time they downloaded and installed a new streaming app.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Where is "DirecTV Now"?   What's up AT&T?
    libertyforall
  • Reply 2 of 19
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    So no tvOS update required?
  • Reply 3 of 19
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Where's Wonkavision? I want it now!
    stompylarz2112Rayz2016anomejohn.b
  • Reply 4 of 19
    This is good, but still piecemeal and not terribly useful for everyone.
    Soli
  • Reply 5 of 19
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    sog35 said:
    Wheres Playstation Vue? come on man
    Do you have a job, or do you do anything besides post on this forum. Nevermind your never-ending, neurotic ranting, you're LITERALLY the 1st person to comment on almost every SINGLE article, and almost always in a negative fashion. It's terrifying, and sad. I'd recommend you find some kind of hobby or some form of employment. 
    Rayz2016mwhitejony0
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Does this mean I have to throw away my current Apple TV which works great because apple choose not to put any of the new features on anything but the new hw ?

getring more like google android :-(
  • Reply 7 of 19
    sgordon said:
    Does this mean I have to throw away my current Apple TV which works great because apple choose not to put any of the new features on anything but the new hw ?

getring more like google android :-(
    Apple can't put any of the new features on your current ATV. How are you going to downloads apps or even use them with hardly any internal storage and ram? 
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    slurpy said:
    sog35 said:
    Wheres Playstation Vue? come on man
    Do you have a job, or do you do anything besides post on this forum. Nevermind your never-ending, neurotic ranting, you're LITERALLY the 1st person to comment on almost every SINGLE article, and almost always in a negative fashion. It's terrifying, and sad. I'd recommend you find some kind of hobby or some form of employment. 
    Or just some professional help. 
    mwhite
  • Reply 9 of 19
    No U-verse really pisses me off. ATT pushing DirectTV so hard right now. Hopefully they get to us u-verse subs eventually...
    libertyforall
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Up and running for my DirecTv account. It's nice to not sign in when downloading a new channel!
  • Reply 11 of 19
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    How’s about you a-holes here trashing this as “not enough” take a breather from your constant negativity. It’s a start.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    supadav03 said:
    No U-verse really pisses me off. ATT pushing DirectTV so hard right now. Hopefully they get to us u-verse subs eventually...
    Who’s “they” when you hope “they” get to u-verse subscribers eventually? Apple? So Apple can just force U-verse to sign on to this feature? More negativity from the clueless crowd. 
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Note to DirecTV & AT&T customers: you need to sign in with your AT&T login.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
     Naturally, Cox is nowhere to be found.    :/
  • Reply 15 of 19
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Where is Spectrum? What is Spectrum?
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Note to DirecTV & AT&T customers: you need to sign in with your AT&T login.
    I used my DirecTV account login, and it worked fine for me. 
  • Reply 17 of 19
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Waiting for Cablevision to get on board.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Ugh, no Comcast!  Sucks to see such small participation from providers as well as content app makers.  Here's hoping the list grows exponentially!