Apple falls to 36th place on Glassdoor's annual Best Places to Work chart

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    When I read the article, the first thing that stood out was the difference in work force between Apple and all others mentioned in the tech world. Apple has a large employee contingent of retail sales based and similar support staff. While the other tech companies mentioned, have products and services which do not depend on sales through a branded retail outlets as Apple does. I

therefore the ratio of retail to corporate employees is biased and skewed against Apple in this particular measurement.

if corporate to corporate ratings were exclusively measured, ex retail, I submit, Apple would rate significantly higher.

another interesting indicator of the state of affairs as relates to Apple employees would be a study/questionnaire/research into how Apple retail employees are rated compared to other retail sales force. Apple would rate quite well on that basis also.

edited December 2016 randominternetpersonpscooter631st
  • Reply 22 of 45
    sog35 said:
    they are working so hard?.... on which product... that has not been delayed or released with a problem.
    They are working hard making 103% of phone profits
    90% of tablet profits
    80% of PC profits

Takes hard work to be the most valuable and profitable company on the planet
    Depends on whom you ask

http://kensegall.com/2016/12/apple-earning-the-wrath-of-steve/
    wonkothesane
  • Reply 23 of 45
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    slurpy said:
    sog35 said:
    Glass door is filled with losers who could not cut it and then bitch about it on the internet.

If you want to work hard then Apple isn't the place for you. 

Tim Cook is doing a FINE job 
    Why is Cook doing a FINE job now in contradiction to your previous 5,000 rants? Because the stock is up $4? Is that all it takes? Is your opinion of Cook a direct mathematical algorithm connected to the day's current stock price? Will he go back to being "pathetic" and "unfit" tomorrow when the stock is down $2? You're one of the most superficial posters I've ever seen.
    Hah! So that's why he's changed his mind. I thought it was because they'd increase his dosage. 
    singularity
  • Reply 24 of 45
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    dysamoria said:
    After seeing so many examples of Apple's creepy corporate culture, I decided I would never work for them, at any level. There were openings at the local Apple Store I would be qualified for, but the culture is just frightening. Most corporate culture is creepy and unnatural, and most corporate culture doesn't care about the customer's experience as much as I do, but Apple's way of "caring" is above and beyond unnatural and forced. I hate it as a customer, and I'd never subject myself to it as an employee.

To be honest,  I doubt they'd want you. 
    edited December 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 45
    Give Sog35 a break, he is doing well, adding to the conversation, moderating tone.  :)
    revenantrandominternetpersonslprescott
  • Reply 26 of 45
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    I would take Glassdoor ratings with a massive pinch of salt. The only people who are going to review an employer are management types looking to boost the company's rating and those with an axe to grind trying to do the opposite. The employee in the middle doesn't have the time or energy to review their employer.

A company's Glassdoor score is more a reflection of how much that company cares about its Glassdoor score.
    pscooter631stwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 45
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    I've got one word for you all:

RETAIL.

pscooter63birko
  • Reply 28 of 45
    dysamoria said:
    After seeing so many examples of Apple's creepy corporate culture, I decided I would never work for them, at any level. There were openings at the local Apple Store I would be qualified for, but the culture is just frightening. Most corporate culture is creepy and unnatural, and most corporate culture doesn't care about the customer's experience as much as I do, but Apple's way of "caring" is above and beyond unnatural and forced. I hate it as a customer, and I'd never subject myself to it as an employee.

oh but wait, no one "cares" about Apple Store employees...
    Your post was even weirder than mine.
  • Reply 29 of 45
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    sog35 said:
    Glass door is filled with losers who could not cut it and then bitch about it on the internet.

No, that's not what glassdoor is. Glassdoor is basically "I've already quit this job (and got a better one)"

So the companies at the top of the list are the ones who try to retain employees, while employers further down don't try as hard, and the ones rated the worst are typically the kind of companies that keep pissing off their customers anyway.

What is most likely the result for the decline are things related to the Apple Store's and not the company itself. Retail operations are often the largest source of negative feedback because people don't want to have a confrontation in the store, and instead make some customer support person miserable instead. Consider what Apple does at the store versus what they do online. 

Now compare Intuit (quickbooks, quicktax, and mint.com) and Adobe (who people have permanent hate for the subscription CS model.) How much customer support do they have by comparison. 

So Glassdoor, will reflect the customer support staff turn over more than it will represent the programmers and product development staff.
    dewme
  • Reply 30 of 45
    So Microsoft came in behind Apple (37th) but it's not mentioned; don't want to spoil the narrative here?
  • Reply 31 of 45
    I just realized that these numbers for Apple are likely dominated by their massive Apple Stores workforce and might not tell us anything about the Apple employees we care about (the ones designing and coding the actual products).  Not that we don't "care" about the Store employees; of course we are generous, empathetic beings, who care about all living things, but you know what I mean.
    Look what you made me do, I was just a reader now I have to make a comment based on you ignorance.

It shouldn't matter what you do for a company, you should be happy with what you do, have a great work life balance. Which will make less stress and hopefully make you a productive employee and a better human to all.

it does matter if you are happy, and if you do work in retail, you should be happy there too. 
    gatorguy
  • Reply 32 of 45
    sog35 said:
    they are working so hard?.... on which product... that has not been delayed or released with a problem.
    90% of tablet profits
    80% of PC profits

Depends on whom you ask

Thanks for the link. Some part of me shouted "yes! Yes! Yes!" When I read it, as I can't help but feel the same. Maybe from a business perspective they put their focus right. However from a personal perspective from someone who always had lots of interconnected Apple stuff that just worked I'm not so convinced anymore. Let's hope for innovation on the mac line beyond touchbar. You hear me, seamless Apple routers, gorgeous displays, and yes, even printers? All those low margin products which made the difference between hideous and not reliable, compared to cool design and joy to use. :)
  • Reply 33 of 45
    sog35 said:
    Please, Apple... just get that bloody stock to rise another 5-10% and I'm going to sell every share I own.
    is 5-10% really going to make a difference?

You should sell now.

Apple could easily go up 10% the next 2 weeks or go down 10%

If you lost faith in the company just sell already.
    Oh, please. 
  • Reply 34 of 45
    sog35 said:
    slurpy said:
    sog35 said:

Why is Cook doing a FINE job now in contradiction to your previous 5,000 rants? Because the stock is up $4? Is that all it takes? Is your opinion of Cook a direct mathematical algorithm connected to the day's current stock price? Will he go back to being "pathetic" and "unfit" tomorrow when the stock is down $2? You're one of the most superficial posters I've ever seen.
    Why does this even matter to you?

Am I so in your head you need an explanation for every opinion I have about Cook?
    Slurp, keep carrying the flag and defending Apple, we need people like you.  But I'm not cut out to be like you. 

My opinion of Cook will changed based on his performance, plus I found Jesus. That helps too
    Where was he? Lost in the seat cushions again? I hate that. 
    edited December 2016 apple jockeysingularity
  • Reply 35 of 45
    dysamoria said:
    thedba said:
    sog35 said:
    slurpy said:
    sog35 said:

Why does this even matter to you?

Am I so in your head you need an explanation for every opinion I have about Cook?
    Slurp, keep carrying the flag and defending Apple, we need people like you.  But I'm not cut out to be like you. 

My opinion of Cook will changed based on his performance, plus I found Jesus. That helps too
    I thought that finding Jesus was supposed to calm and appease you. It seems that it's had the opposite effect. Maybe you should try buddhism or some other eastern philosophy. 
    Or better yet, stop finding mythical solutions and look at yourself critically. Examine why you behave and think the way you do, and change it based on logic and rationality, instead of myths and arbitrary beliefs. What makes you you? Know yourself instead of treating the symptoms with woo.
    that's basically what buddhism is -- study of the self. for some it's woo with added elements, but for many it's just a philosophy of self improvement. 
    edited December 2016 apple jockey
  • Reply 36 of 45
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    sog35 said:

Huh? You have no clue what you are talking about. You don't liv here in Silicon Valley. At Apple, Sunday night is a working day and people spend 11-12 hours average at work. No that's hell, not life. That's why my friend quit Apple to work for FB.

singularity
  • Reply 37 of 45
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    A few years ago, out of curiosity, I went on the Glassdoor site to look at their salary estimates--I plugged in the details of my company and position and it said I should be making less than half of what I was. So my inclination is to take their data with a grain of salt.
    Why would people want to put fake salary with anonymity? You maybe overpaid for your position. However, salary in Glassdoor is collected from posters.
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 38 of 45
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    The headline on this article is unduly negative in its implication.

For a company the size of Apple or Microsoft, and many others on this list to be ranked as high in any unscientific, highly subjective, and biased survey weighted by cheer leaders on one side and discontents on the other as these companies have been rated is quite remarkable. I suspect the middle ground raters, the vast majority, don't even bother answering the survey. That being said I'd take the exact rankings with a serious grain of salt and simply divide the population of ranked companies into say four regions. If Apple (or any company in the upper 25% of the rankings) can execute successfully on a global scale under extreme scrutiny and negativity, while maintaining high levels of profitability and high levels of employee engagement, they are probably not a bad place to work.

Some people and some organizations don't handle criticism or pressure particularly well, much less over decades of scrutiny and competitive pressure. There's no hiding the impact of unhappy and unengaged employees on a company's bottom line. Just look at the bottom line numbers on the most successful companies and you'll know the best places to work. 
  • Reply 39 of 45
    sog35 said:
    90% of tablet profits
    80% of PC profits

Depends on whom you ask

Thanks for the link. Some part of me shouted "yes! Yes! Yes!" When I read it, as I can't help but feel the same. Maybe from a business perspective they put their focus right. However from a personal perspective from someone who always had lots of interconnected Apple stuff that just worked I'm not so convinced anymore. Let's hope for innovation on the mac line beyond touchbar. You hear me, seamless Apple routers, gorgeous displays, and yes, even printers? All those low margin products which made the difference between hideous and not reliable, compared to cool design and joy to use. :)
    I hear you. But let me list the P/E ratios for a few companies of interest
    AAPL 13.7
    Google 28.9
    Amazon 176
    Boeing 23.9
    GE 27.3
    Tractor Supply 24.6
    Deere 21.5
    IBM 13.6
    Home Depot 21.6
    Caterpillar 92.9
    Microsoft 29.7

I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions.
  • Reply 40 of 45
    1st1st Posts: 443member

Huh? You have no clue what you are talking about. You don't liv here in Silicon Valley. At Apple, Sunday night is a working day and people spend 11-12 hours average at work. No that's hell, not life. That's why my friend quit Apple to work for FB.

work with multiple cutting edge  in the past, the company attract different applicant at different stage: prior to dominate the  field,you got hardworking paranoia type with super competitive (jobs' ibm video come into mind). burn out, work 7days with minimum 12 hours in a buddy camp like environment to struggle to get  the best product  out of the door, it is  life line you have to hold on.  you get few applicants for job that known have you  are get into pressure cooker.. once you become established, you will attract 3 types applicants: same as before (the one willing to go through hell), the fame and temp experence seeker to beef up resume and jump to next (they will take all the possible courses corp offer and collect all certificant, but little willingness to do the daily grind), and the last type: know all the dental plan, benefit, holiday salary OT different, etc. etc. the applicant of 1st group in the mix is about 10-15%... very hard not to accidentally hired few that you wouldn't want in early days.. worse of all, once that un-wanted group get into critical mass of 15-20% of your work force, game over.  your elite group would got side tracked to pull extra weight and patch holes that someone jump ship for example... I am glad apple still keep paranoia work schedule.  i am looking forward to see the next gen great products in the pipe line.  No life? i believe your friend didn't know what wonderful life he had when he look back after 30 years (I never worked for apple, i don't believe my view is biased).  I  wouldn't pay too much attention to the rating and not surprised as current state of apple company.  IMHO