Apple releases iOS 10.2 with new 'TV' app, plus new & refreshed emoji

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2016
After a lengthy beta period, Apple's highly anticipated iOS 10.2 update is now available for iPhone and iPad, introducing a new "TV" app for discovering video content, as well as dozens of new and redesigned emoji characters.

iOS 10.2 is available to install as an over-the-air update via Software Update in the native Settings app. It can also be installed with iTunes on a connected Mac or PC.

"iOS 10.2 introduces new features including the TV app (US Only), a new and unified experience for accessing your TV shows and movies across multiple video apps," the release notes state. "Emoji have been beautifully redesigned to reveal more detail and over 100 new emoji have been added including new faces, food, animals, sports, and professions. This update also includes stability improvements and bug fixes."

The full list of features spotlighted by Apple are:

TV
  • Use Up Next to see the movies and shows you're currently watching and pick up where you left off
  • Get recommendations for new movies and TV shows in Watch Now
  • Discover new apps and the latest iTunes releases in the Store
  • Access the Library for your iTunes purchases and rentals

Emoji
  • Beautifully redesigned emoji that reveal even more detail
  • Over 100 new emoji including new faces, food, animals, sports and professions
Photos
  • Improves stabilization and delivers faster frame rate for Live Photos
  • Improves accuracy of groupings of similar photos of the same person in the People album
  • Fixes an issue where Memories might generate a memory from photos of screenshots, whiteboards or receipts
  • Fixes an issue where the camera would stay zoomed after switching back from the Camera Roll on an iPhone 7 Plus
  • Additional support for RAW digital cameras
  • Adds new love and celebration full screen effects in Messages
  • Fixes an issue that sometimes prevented the keyboard from displaying in Messages
Music
  • Swipe up the Now Playing screen to more easily access Shuffle, Repeat, and Up Next
  • Choose how to sort Playlists, Albums and Songs in Library
News
  • Stories you've saved for later now appear in the Saved section
  • The best paid stories from channels you subscribe to will appear in a dedicated section in For You
  • It's now easier than ever to get to the next story, just swipe left or tap next story while reading
Mail
  • Fixes an issue that caused the Move sheet to persist after filing a Mail message
  • Addresses an issue with long press activating copy and paste in Mail
  • Fixes an issue in which the wrong message would be selected after deleting a Mail conversation
Accessibility
  • Adds BraillePen14 support to VoiceOver
  • Fixes an issue where the braille table could switch unexpectedly with VoiceOver
  • Fixes an issue where sometimes Siri enhanced voices were unavailable to VoiceOver
  • Fixes an issue where VoiceOver users could not re-order items in lists
  • Fixes an issue where Switch Control was sometimes unable to delete Voicemails
Other improvements and fixes
  • Adds notification support for HomeKit accessories including window coverings, occupancy, motion, door/window, smoke, carbon monoxide, and water leak sensors
  • Adds notification support for HomeKit accessories when software updates are available to HomeKit accessories
  • Improve Bluetooth performance and connectivity with 3rd party accessories
  • Fixes an issue that could cause FaceTime participants to appear out of focus
  • Fixes an issue that could cause FaceTime calls to appear with incorrect aspect ratio and orientation
  • Fixes an issue that prevented some Visual Voicemail from completing playback
  • Fixes a Safari Reader issue that could cause articles to open in empty pages
  • Fixes an issue that could cause Safari to quit unexpectedly after marking an item as read in Reading List
The launch of the "TV" app comes less than a week after Apple rolled out single sign-on support for participating cable providers, including Dish, Sling TV, DirecTV, CenturyLink Prism, and GVTC.

Users can find a new TV Provider option in the Settings app. There, users can enter their login credentials and have them automatically provided to streaming video apps that require a cable subscription.

Third-party apps that support the new single sign-on feature have also been spotlighted in the App Store. They include Food Network, DIY, Travel Channel and Hallmark Channel.

Other changes include new emoji that conform to the Unicode 9.9 standard, which includes about 72 new icons, such as a clown, bacon, a selfie, and a sneezing face. Existing emoji have also been redrawn with more detail and/or different styles.

Other changes in iOS 10.2 include a widget for the Videos app, three new wallpapers, a "Preserve Camera" setting, and a "Press and Hold to Speak" menu under Accessibility settings for the home button.

The Messages app has a new "Celebration" fullscreen effect, and the status bar has an additional headphone icon, making it clearer when Bluetooth audio accessories are connected. The icon was already visible to Beats Solo3 and Powerbeats3 owners.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Hopefully tvOS 10.1 not far behind with a fix to Airplay.

Edit: yep. nine to five mac reports tvOS10.1 is out. 
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 2 of 43
    thank goodness, hopefully by the end of the year Pangu will release the jailbreak 
    netmage
  • Reply 3 of 43
    If this doesn't fix the Bluetooth/car issue on my iphone7 I will snap
  • Reply 4 of 43
    The TV app won't work with the two best streaming services, so it's a bit useless.

http://www.cultofmac.com/451509/apples-tv-app-doesnt-work-two-best-streaming-services/
  • Reply 5 of 43
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Would be nice to have the TV app in Canada too, especially since we now have a cable provider app in the Apple TV app store; Bell Fibe.
    tnewton50
  • Reply 6 of 43
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    If Netflix and Amazon aren't on that TV app, then what's the use?

Where is the Apple streaming service by the way?

What ever happened to that? :/

anantksundaram
  • Reply 7 of 43
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    Looks like Apple nixed the SOS feature seen in earlier Beta versions. Also, still seems to be a bug in messages that when you attempt to hit the arrow button to return to the main message screen, some times the action does not respond or lags.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    waverboy said:
    The TV app won't work with the two best streaming services, so it's a bit useless.

http://www.cultofmac.com/451509/apples-tv-app-doesnt-work-two-best-streaming-services/

Well, the framework is there now so support can only increase. Apple Pay was also a bit "useless" when it came out since it supported a very limited amount of banks/countries. It's exploded since then. 
    williamlondonpatchythepiratelostkiwimike1netmage
  • Reply 9 of 43
    I've been using 10.2 public beta all along, and I recently received my 7+. Sweetest phone and system yet!
    patchythepirateequality72521watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 43
    My goodness the TV app is half baked. On my iPad Pro I can't access any of the videos I have stored locally on my device and when I tap on Watch Now the Connect Apps button does nothing. And this is what I get when I try to contact Apple Support:

Apple software teams really need to get it together. Stop releasing half baked stuff. Single sign on was announced at WWDC and yet the only major providers it launched with are DirecTV and Dish. TV app doesn't support Netflix or Amazon so for many people is kind of useless. Where are Eddy Cue's alleged negotiating skills? Grr...
    edited December 2016 anantksundarampatchythepirate
  • Reply 11 of 43
    The TV app on iOS doesn't seem to support Family Sharing in any way. Since it's replaced the Video app this has removed access to a lot of video content I've paid for.  Not good.
    edited December 2016 anantksundaramnetmage
  • Reply 12 of 43
    slurpy said:

Apple Pay was also a bit "useless" when it came out since it supported a very limited amount of banks/countries. It's exploded since then. 
    You lose credibility when you make a somewhat ridiculous statement like that (not that you probably care a lot anyway, as I am expecting the usual profanity-laden rant by way of a response). Your statement is the equivalent of implying that ApplePay came out with no support for Visa or Amex, only MasterCard. 

Incidentally, ApplePay adoption at the PoS hasn't "exploded" AFAIK. If I am wrong about that, please let me know (with some data or an appropriate link).
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 13 of 43

Where are Eddy Cue's alleged negotiating skills? Grr...
    "Eddie Cue's negotiating skills" increasingly sounds like an oxymoron.
    macxpress
  • Reply 14 of 43
    I guess the last beta of this was the gold master. I'm not showing any updates are available.
  • Reply 15 of 43
    johnbear said:
    thank goodness, hopefully by the end of the year Pangu will release the jailbreak 
    Lol, I always forget there is a jailbreak community still.
    It must be infinitesimal by now!

I wonder if people are still "rooting" their Android phones & flashing a bunch of retarded custom ROMs too.... I honestly thought all that boring ass scene died off about 2011ish.
    lostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 43
    waverboy said:

Well; I think by offering them a relaxation on the 30% cut for in app renewals if they offer connection to the TV app, they've extended a MAJOR olive branch.
    baconstang
  • Reply 17 of 43
    Any idea where the music videos went? I couldn't find them in the TV app, iTunes app nor doing a search from the pull down. I'm going to be really pissed if the pulled my Lonely Island collection, always good for a laugh watching them.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I wish Apple would invest more in regional development teams so they could launch app initiatives that aren't beholden to the normal US-first strategy.  Other countries don't have the mess of a cable system that you guys have, but like the idea of a TV.app a lot.
    propod[Deleted User]
  • Reply 19 of 43
    Wow setting up the TV app on TV is painful. When I launched the app only one content provider was listed. No where in the app did it tell me I needed to launch all my content apps and ensure I was logged in. I'd say maybe 30% of the apps supported single sign on the rest made me go to a website and enter an activation code. I'm sorry but if a content app supports my cable/satellite provider and that provider supports single sign on I should not have to enter a stupid activation code on a website. C'mon Apple you're supposed to be all about superior user experience. This definitely is not. And before anyone complains, yes I know this only has to be done once. Still it's a pain in the ass and not a good user experience.
  • Reply 20 of 43
    slurpy said:

Apple Pay was also a bit "useless" when it came out since it supported a very limited amount of banks/countries. It's exploded since then. 
    You lose credibility when you make a somewhat ridiculous statement like that (not that you probably care a lot anyway, as I am expecting the usual profanity-laden rant by way of a response). Your statement is the equivalent of implying that ApplePay came out with no support for Visa or Amex, only MasterCard. 

Incidentally, ApplePay adoption at the PoS hasn't "exploded" AFAIK. If I am wrong about that, please let me know (with some data or an appropriate link).
    That's a strange response to a perfectly reasonable post.

I prefer a profanity-laden response to preemptive complaining about what you think another poster is going to say, especially if your main argument is to nitpick a rough analogy (I say this even though the lack of merchant Apple Pay support annoys me as well).
    baconstang