Apple CEO Tim Cook delivering MIT commencement speech in June

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    anantksundaram said: Why is that OK with you?
    Because Tim Cook hasn't publicly come out and said that half of his customers are basically deplorable.

If other leftwing, fanatical CEOs think that that is a good business strategy, then I can only laugh at their complete stupidity, and we'll see what happens to them. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that insulting 50% of your customers is probably not a good idea.
    boltsfan17
  • Reply 22 of 38
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    apple ][ said:
    Because Tim Cook hasn't publicly come out and said that half of his customers are basically deplorable.

If other leftwing, fanatical CEOs think that that is a good business strategy, then I can only laugh at their complete stupidity, and we'll see what happens to them. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that insulting 50% of your customers is probably not a good idea.
    And yet, Kellog's current concern to investors is that Millennials don't eat breakfast cereal like their parents did. but enjoy your boycott.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    sog35 said:
    mj web said:
    Wall Street and investors overwhelmingly agree Tim Cook has not delivered on Apple's promise or greatness. He has been pigeonholed, rightfully so I believe, in the same league as other poor Silicone Valley fits, such as Jerry Yang, Steve Balmer, and John Chambers. As long as Cook remains CEO, Apple is on its deathbed, IMO!
    Deathbed is a little extreme.

I'd say stagnant and slowly rotting. But no matter how terrible Tim Cook is, Apple ain't dying for several decades.
    Tim Cook has had 5+ years as CEO. He has failed. Plain and simple.
    You can get struck by a train or atrophy till death. Apple has suffered serious atrophy under Cook's short reign. His whole Rah-Rah, Nanny State mentality makes me want to barf.
  • Reply 24 of 38
    Glad to see Tim Cook put in an appearance at The Institute.  Who better to welcome him than newly minted engineers, many of whom have been using Apple products their entire lives.  So much fun engineering ahead, maybe some of them will work for Apple.  The coolest thing for Tim to do would be to "Pull an Oprah" and give each and every one of them a fully loaded Mac Pro 2.  I'm crying just thinking about how beautiful that would be, in Cambridge in June of 2017.  One for the ages.
    randominternetpersonration al
  • Reply 25 of 38
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    The coolest thing for Tim to do would be to "Pull an Oprah" and give each and every one of them a fully loaded Mac Pro 2. 
    Oh, hell no!

Let them go and buy their own, if they want one.

Why the hell should he do that? As a shareholder, I disagree 100% with that ridiculous and offensive idea. Apple is not a damn charity.
    apple jockey
  • Reply 26 of 38
    cook isn't  worthy or smart enough to speak at my alma matter. 
  • Reply 27 of 38
    What do any of these stats have to do with Tim Cook giving a commencement address (which CEOs do all the time)?
    tmayrandominternetperson
  • Reply 28 of 38
    It could be argued that Apple was played by the PRC. At the time Apple began its serious expansion in China they were feigning an open arms policy to Apple in particular. So Apples assumptions of smooth sailing in China, were warranted. Having put the machine in motion to make a serious play in China, it was only then that the PRC was going to be playing a little underhanded with Apple. By then Apple had made a 'can't turn back' move into,China, and has been trying to play nice and conform to China's cumbersome expectations, regulation and protectionism.

Things will be shaken up by the new Administration. Hopefully a more just relationship we evolve for US commerce in China.

also, to sogs ongoing shit storm on Mr. Cook. Can Tim Cook be held accountable for the problems Apple has faced? To some extent yes, could he do better, yes. But the predominant hurdles, roadblocks and and limitations in Apples forward progress are beyond Apples control.

Here is a partial list of problems that have held Apple back which were substantially outside of their control.
    A.)Chinese never ending movement of the legal, political, consumer sentiment, corporate expectation boundaries. Must be dealt with by Apple but can't tangibly prevent these substantial changes from having an impact.
    B.)the malaise in the Global sentiment, weakened consumer finances, regulatory changes in many nation states, regions and nation blocks.
    C.)Very significant Forex difficulties that cannot be completely rectified.
    D.)of course a downturn in the volume of devices needed by consumers, for various reasons.
    E.) Important elections, power struggles and crises throughout the world.
    F.) and the never ending dint of naysayers  throughout the readable universe looking for Apple to fail.
    Great post. It's not like Apple's growth has been slowing at the expense of others, which just shows that the bigger issues are macro, as you described so well. And looking at Apple products, they are clearly best-in-class by a wide margin in all the areas they compete (aside from a few service categories). Apple is making very sensible choices. The only 2 things I really find fault with is:
    1) that maybe they could do something to shake it up a bit, something that will be more overtly "innovative," along with the substantial, but more subtle innovation that they continue to excel at (it does seem as though Apple is about to make an interesting move with the iPhone in the near future).
    and
    2) Your "F" bullet point. The amount of bashing, crying, whining, complaining, snickering, spiteful comments... being made about Apple on a regular basis are not just annoying, but I think they are damaging to the company. As an example, no "normal" consumers I talk to have any appreciation or knowledge of Apple's stance on privacy and Apple's great security, but almost everyone I talk to feels Apple is responsible for workers killing themselves (which, with a little information, is of course beyond absurd). It seems like Apple creates a webpage or makes an occasional statement and that's it. I'm not sure what the answer is, but it doesn't seem like Apple cares much about this negativity, which only reinforces its validity in people's minds, no matter how ridiculous.  
    edited December 2016 apple jockeyrandominternetperson
  • Reply 29 of 38
    sog35 said:
    mj web said:
    Wall Street and investors overwhelmingly agree Tim Cook has not delivered on Apple's promise or greatness. He has been pigeonholed, rightfully so I believe, in the same league as other poor Silicone Valley fits, such as Jerry Yang, Steve Balmer, and John Chambers. As long as Cook remains CEO, Apple is on its deathbed, IMO!

So sell your shares and move on.
    Why should we sell are shares when we know if Cook gets replaced by a competent CEO this stock goes up 50-70% in a few months?
    Perhaps because the chance of Cook being replaced within the next twelve months is approximately zero?
  • Reply 30 of 38
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    jeffdm said:
    sog35 said:
    Apple is struggling.

Instead of relying on Fanboy kool aid go read their last financial report for period ending Sept 2016:

http://investor.apple.com/secfiling.cfm?filingID=1628280-16-20258&CIK=320193

1. China sales DOWN MASSIVELY 30%
    2. iPhone sales DOWN YoY 13%
    3. Mac sales DOWN YoY 17%
    4. iPad sales DOWN 40% versus peak in 2012
    5. Total Revenue DOWN 9%
    6. Total Profits DOWN 19%
    7. Other sales (Watch, AppleTV, accessories) DOWN 22%

Every single product line is DOWN except for services.

Profits are down nearly 20% compared to last year. How the HELL is that NOT struggling?  

In comparison companies like Google grew revenues and profits 15-20% last quarter.
    Amazon is growing sales 15-20% last quarter. Even Microsoft is getting great growth in Cloud services.

Too say Apple has not struggled the last 12 months is ridiculous and being a total blind FANBOY
    Apple took 104% of the smartphone profits last quarter and you think it's Apple that is struggling? You are a TROLL.
    Stop insulting Trolls. ;)
  • Reply 31 of 38
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

sog35 said:
    jeffdm said:
    sog35 said:
    And the Washington Post got 104% of newspaper profits. That is an empty stat if the overall profits of the sector is going down.

That is not important if smartphone profits as a whole also went down 20%

They got a bigger slice of a shrinking pie. And that is a FACT.

And that 104% stat is based on pure guesses.

The real facts which was reported by Apple:

iPhone sales DOWN 13% YoY
    Profits DOWN 19% YoY

Why the HELL are you ignoring the real facts?
    You're admitting the market shrunk and you admit that Apple took a bigger cut of a smaller market, and it's Apple that's struggling? It's you that's struggling, realize a decent perspective.
    When a companies top 4 products are all down 10-20% you are struggling.

When your profits are down 20% you are struggling.

Do you have a psychological need to be disliked and argued with?  Just wondering.  I cannot see any other logical explanation for the constant torrent of tripe.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    apple ][ said:

Wow. You guys sound like a bunch of touchy snowflakes. And I thought it was all those triggered liberals that wanted their safe spaces.

I looked to see if the CEO of Kellogg had dissed Trump supporters. But I could find no such news or evidence. Since you are very intent on people telling the truth and not distorting facts -- you constantly hold folks to that standard on the Left -- can you point me to the specific statement that he made dissing you all? A link would be great.

As an aside, I couldnt care less about breakfast cereal, so I have no dog in then hunt. I want to know that you are willing to live up to all those bombastic-sounding strictures that you regularly impose on others. Please don't disappoint me.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    It could be argued that Apple was played by the PRC. At the time Apple began its serious expansion in China they were feigning an open arms policy to Apple in particular. So Apples assumptions of smooth sailing in China, were warranted. Having put the machine in motion to make a serious play in China, it was only then that the PRC was going to be playing a little underhanded with Apple. By then Apple had made a 'can't turn back' move into,China, and has been trying to play nice and conform to China's cumbersome expectations, regulation and protectionism.

Things will be shaken up by the new Administration. Hopefully a more just relationship we evolve for US commerce in China.

also, to sogs ongoing shit storm on Mr. Cook. Can Tim Cook be held accountable for the problems Apple has faced? To some extent yes, could he do better, yes. But the predominant hurdles, roadblocks and and limitations in Apples forward progress are beyond Apples control.

Here is a partial list of problems that have held Apple back which were substantially outside of their control.
    A.)Chinese never ending movement of the legal, political, consumer sentiment, corporate expectation boundaries. Must be dealt with by Apple but can't tangibly prevent these substantial changes from having an impact.
    B.)the malaise in the Global sentiment, weakened consumer finances, regulatory changes in many nation states, regions and nation blocks.
    D.)of course a downturn in the volume of devices needed by consumers, for various reasons.
    F.) and the never ending dint of naysayers  throughout the readable universe looking for Apple to fail.
    Great post. It's not like Apple's growth has been slowing at the expense of others, which just shows that the bigger issues are macro, as you described so well. And looking at Apple products, they are clearly best-in-class by a wide margin in all the areas they compete (aside from a few service categories). Apple is making very sensible choices. The only 2 things I really find fault with is:
    1) that maybe they could do something to shake it up a bit, something that will be more overtly "innovative," along with the substantial, but more subtle innovation that they continue to excel at (it does seem as though Apple is about to make an interesting move with the iPhone in the near future).
    and
    2) Your "F" bullet point. The amount of bashing, crying, whining, complaining, snickering, spiteful comments... being made about Apple on a regular basis are not just annoying, but I think they are damaging to the company. As an example, no "normal" consumers I talk to have any appreciation or knowledge of Apple's stance on privacy and Apple's great security, but almost everyone I talk to feels Apple is responsible for workers killing themselves (which, with a little information, is of course beyond absurd). It seems like Apple creates a webpage or makes an occasional statement and that's it. I'm not sure what the answer is, but it doesn't seem like Apple cares much about this negativity, which only reinforces its validity in people's minds, no matter how ridiculous.  
    woe... you think Apple's 3+ year old computers are "best in class by a wide margin"... Man, you really need to see what's out there.  

You also think they are making sensible choices?  What choices?  ignore everything except the iPhone.   Yah... for short term profits that's the way to go, but long term, there will be nothing left to fall back on.  I find it ironic that those who are okay with how things are being run are the ones that harming Apple the most.  If you want Apple to be around after the iPhone boom is over (and it will, just like Nokia, Motorola, RIM. Palm), you should be on Tim's case to do better (ie, New product categories, keeping ALL products they sell competitively updated)
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 34 of 38

woe... you think Apple's 3+ year old computers are "best in class by a wide margin"... Man, you really need to see what's out there.  

You also think they are making sensible choices?  What choices?  ignore everything except the iPhone.   Yah... for short term profits that's the way to go, but long term, there will be nothing left to fall back on.  I find it ironic that those who are okay with how things are being run are the ones that harming Apple the most.  If you want Apple to be around after the iPhone boom is over (and it will, just like Nokia, Motorola, RIM. Palm), you should be on Tim's case to do better (ie, New product categories, keeping ALL products they sell competitively updated)
    Great Post, very true.

on the other hand, the pressure is obvious on all top level manager. It is all around them, as relates to growth and innovation. Undeniable.

So with that said, seems appropriate to assume they feel the heat, they are taking steps to rectify any weaknesses and accentuate the quality in the program.

We are all that megaphone!
    altivec88patchythepirate
  • Reply 35 of 38
    A megaphone To hold their feet to the fire, that is. Not to be fan'boys'. But for me, I find a lot to be hopeful for and glad about Apple as it exists. Still they always need to put the pedal to the metal, when appropriate.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    wood1208 said:
    Good choice MIT. Instead of selecting those political morons, you are better of with techie guy. It fits well with your institution. Remember, Stanford chose Steve Jobs for their commencement address and he inspired millions of future entrepreneurs with deep message, "Stay Hungry".......
    which political morons are you speaking about? 
  • Reply 37 of 38
    altivec88 said:

and

I guess you're referring to the Mac Pro? That does seem like a clear oversight. But the MPB's? ..seems like Apple made reasonable, practical compromises for a portable computer with the technology available. And point taken about blind fanboyism. Perhaps I have an egocentric view; I'm looking at things mostly from my point of view as an average consumer (use-case wise), who highly values Apple's ability to make complex functions simple, as well as aesthetics. That sounds a bit cheesy, but I do think that stuff matters to most people, even if they aren't paying close attention. If you care to share any more thoughts I'd be interested to hear your take.