Apple releases macOS 10.12.2 with auto-unlock & GPU fixes, Touch Bar screenshot support

Posted:
in macOS edited August 2020
Apple on Tuesday issued an update for Sierra, the latest version of macOS, addressing a number of bugs and issues, including fixes for auto-unlock with Apple Watch, graphics processing issues on the latest MacBook Pro hardware, and taking screenshots of the Touch Bar on new models.

macOS 10.12.2 is now available to download from the Mac App Store. It's a free update for any Mac running macOS Sierra.

According to Apple, the update improves the stability, compatibility and performance of the operating system. Specific changes in the update are:
  • Improves setup and reliability of Auto Unlock
  • Allows addition of a Chinese Trackpad Handwriting button to the Touch Bar Control Strip
  • Adds support for taking screenshots of the Touch Bar using the Grab app or Cmd-Shift-6 shortcut
  • Fixes an issue that caused the Touch Bar emoji picker to appear on the display
  • Resolves graphics issues on MacBook Pro (October 2016) computers
  • Fixes an issue where System Integrity Protection was disabled on some MacBook Pro (October 2016) computers
  • Improves setup and opt-out experience for iCloud Desktop and Documents
  • Fixes an issue with the delivery of Optimized Storage alerts
  • Improves audio quality when using Siri and FaceTime with Bluetooth headphones
  • Improves the stability of Photos when creating and ordering books
  • Fixes an issue where incoming Mail messages did not appear when using a Microsoft Exchange account
  • Fixes an issue that prevented installation of Safari Extensions downloaded outside the Safari Extensions Gallery
  • Adds support for new installations of Windows 8 and Windows 7 using Boot Camp on supported Macs
A total of six pre-release betas of macOS 10.12.2 were issued to developers and public testers before Tuesday's launch. The most recent beta arrived less than a week ago, last Thursday.

The previous full macOS update, version 10.12.1, had been released to the public on Oct. 24.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Improves setup and reliability of Auto Unlock

I'd love for this to be faster, as well offer auto-lock when your Watch gets too far away from your Mac (e.g.: forgetting to lock your system when you leave your desk).

• Reply 2 of 22
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Soli said:

I'd love for this to be faster, as well offer auto-lock when your Watch gets too far away from your Mac (e.g.: forgetting to lock your system when you leave your desk).

It doesn't do that? That seems so obvious it must be something that will be corrected in the future. 
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Apparently this removes the "time remaining on battery" feature from the OS. 
  • Reply 4 of 22
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Yes it does...Apparently it was inaccurate in 10.12.1 which was resulting in the complaints about battery life. I assume this will be restored back once its functioning properly. The percentage is accurate according to Apple, but the time remaining was not. Maybe this was what people were referring to when complaining about the MacBook Pro 2016 having poor battery life?
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 5 of 22
    paxman said:
    Soli said:

It doesn't do that? That seems so obvious it must be something that will be corrected in the future. 
    As far as I can tell, it doesn't. I still have to use my Hot Corner to initiate the screensaver which immediately locks the device, which is quick and simple, but it would be nice to have that feature just in case you forget. Also, I'd like an option for the iPhone and iPad to also require the passcode if your Watch gets too far from it in unsecured locations, like being stolen on a Subway. To me, these seem like obvious features that I was asking for even during the rumours of an Apple wearable. I hope some day they happen.
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 7 of 22
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Thank goodness for the Apple Watch fixes... auto unlock works maybe 50% of the time for me in macOS
  • Reply 8 of 22
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    macxpress said:
    Yes it does...Apparently it was inaccurate in 10.12.1 which was resulting in the complaints about battery life. I assume this will be restored back once its functioning properly. 
    Hmm...hard to see how it could ever really "function properly", since the time will vary wildly based on which tasks it's used for...
    jfc1138watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Just installed it on my October 2016 Macbook pro and now my HDMI-connected monitor no longer works: Either in MacOS or Windows/bootcamp. Been an apple fan for over the past decade, but the notion of 'it just works' seems to be something they are loosing grasp of. A high end product like they market their Macbook line as shouldn't have these problems - especially from an OS update!
  • Reply 10 of 22
    ...thankfully for me this fixed a 4K UHD 60Hz display issue where a couple of test monitors defaulted to 30Hz despite being rated 60Hz - I wish there was a listing somewhere "bugs we're working on" as even Applecare was unaware this was code and I lost many hours diddling with cables, etc...

Now might we rally up support for:

- DisplayPort via TB3>TB2 adapter

- iMac DP Target Display support

- Retina iMac Target Display support (TB3>MST via 2TB2?) ...

DP is apparently part of the default TB2 spec (ie. Apple adapter), and could allow use of the ecosystem of millions of existing Apple displays - would it then be more 'it just works', as well as more ecologically & sustainably meaningful...?

https://9to5mac.com/2016/06/04/how-to-enable-4k-60hz-resolution-2016-macbook/

http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_1.html

As it turns out even a 2009 mini can run 4K @ 30Hz...
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 11 of 22
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    macxpress said:
    Yes it does...Apparently it was inaccurate in 10.12.1 which was resulting in the complaints about battery life. I assume this will be restored back once its functioning properly. The percentage is accurate according to Apple, but the time remaining was not. Maybe this was what people were referring to when complaining about the MacBook Pro 2016 having poor battery life?
    Which would be a fine explanation except for that so many people have watches and access to other timing devices other than Apple's apparently inaccurate time remaining estimates which they can use to time how long their batteries last. 

It's a pretty weak argument that people's perceptions of poor batter life are entirely due to an inaccurate time remaining display.

There is most certainly a software issue in Sierra which is at least contributing to the battery drain. Want proof? Perform the following....Reboot your computer so you are starting with a clean slate. Open Activity Monitor and go to the Energy tab to confirm that no application is using the discreet GPU. Open Text Edit. Again, confirm that nothing is using the discreet GPU. Now in Text Edit go to Format > Font > Show Colors.

Now explain why Text Edit is suddenly using the high-performance GPU (and thus causing a higher energy drain).

Another example is launching Quicken 2007. In no previous OS did it cause the discrete graphics chip to be used. In Sierra it does.

I haven't installed the latest OS update to see if this issue persists, but it's not one of the listed bug fixes in the article.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Hmmm...

http://www.apple.com/ca/shop/reviews/MMEL2AM/A/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-to-thunderbolt-2-adapter

There seems amongst buyers, Apple sales employees & Applecare professionals an (arguably reasonable) expectation for full Thunderbolt 3 > 2 support?

"DisplayPort 1.2 – compatible with existing DisplayPort displays, devices, and cables
    • Connect DVI, HDMI, and VGA displays via adapters"
    - See more at: https://thunderbolttechnology.net/blog/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-does-it-all#sthash.fEqOefd8.dpuf

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Is there a firmware update in the works ? 10.12.3 ?
  • Reply 13 of 22
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    DisplayPort over USB-C is part of the USB spec. It is not passed through by the Thunderbolt Adapter.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    It appears the10.12.2 update has effectively bricked my late 2009 27" iMac. Yes, I know this is an old system, but somehow it managed to kill it. I am trying a restore from the Time Machine backup that was made with 10.12.1.

Given that I now have a lot of time staring at a black screen, I've started to question how I might replace this machine. What I discovered when assessing my needs is that it is possible I wouldn't get an iMac; perhaps even not even (gasp) a mac at all. I'm really not sure how to think this through just yet. 

If I was Gruber or Dalrymple, I'd blog extensively about it. But I'm no where as good a writer as they are...and far less connected. But I still need to give this some deep thought. It would be the first time since about 1992 that I've been without a mac. 

Do I really need one? Hum.
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 15 of 22
    eightzero said:
    It appears the10.12.2 update has effectively bricked my late 2009 27" iMac. Yes, I know this is an old system, but somehow it managed to kill it. I am trying a restore from the Time Machine backup that was made with 10.12.1.

Given that I now have a lot of time staring at a black screen, I've started to question how I might replace this machine. What I discovered when assessing my needs is that it is possible I wouldn't get an iMac; perhaps even not even (gasp) a mac at all. I'm really not sure how to think this through just yet. 

If I was Gruber or Dalrymple, I'd blog extensively about it. But I'm no where as good a writer as they are...and far less connected. But I still need to give this some deep thought. It would be the first time since about 1992 that I've been without a mac. 

Bricked or severely crashed? If you're able to boot in Recovery Mode, reinstall macOS, and restore from Time Machine it sounds like something just hosed your system during the installation. This likely means that 10.12.2 will install properly if you try it again, although it's certainly possible that the update has a fatal issue for some HW aspect of your system. The older the machine the more likely we are to see that latter issue because those machines are in less use and therefore have less scrutiny when it comes to testing and feedback.
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:

Bricked or severely crashed? If you're able to boot in Recovery Mode, reinstall macOS, and restore from Time Machine it sounds like something just hosed your system during the installation. This likely means that 10.12.2 will install properly if you try it again, although it's certainly possible that the update has a fatal issue for some HW aspect of your system. The older the machine the more likely we are to see that latter issue because those machines are in less use and therefore have less scrutiny when it comes to testing and feedback.
    Not sure where I stand just yet. I left it this morning in the process of recovering from a Time Machine backup that was labelled as 10.12.1. The time remaining to do so was scrolling upwards past 8 hours remaining at about 1.4% complete. Yes, a USB drive; 1TB capacity.

If I can recover it, first steps are to perhaps clean out the internal drive a bit, make some new backups, maybe then try a fresh reinstall of 10.12.2. Maybe. 

I do know that computers have a limited life. But I am really rethinking what I need in a desktop. I'm not a content creator that needs a macpro to make movies or music. I'm not a photographer. My needs are very very simple, but I really like the mac ecosystem. I've never lost data to a mac (and don't expect to this time around) but it seems to make sense to de-centralize some things.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    eightzero said:
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:

Not sure where I stand just yet. I left it this morning in the process of recovering from a Time Machine backup that was labelled as 10.12.1. The time remaining to do so was scrolling upwards past 8 hours remaining at about 1.4% complete. Yes, a USB drive; 1TB capacity.

If I can recover it, first steps are to perhaps clean out the internal drive a bit, make some new backups, maybe then try a fresh reinstall of 10.12.2. Maybe. 

I do know that computers have a limited life. But I am really rethinking what I need in a desktop. I'm not a content creator that needs a macpro to make movies or music. I'm not a photographer. My needs are very very simple, but I really like the mac ecosystem. I've never lost data to a mac (and don't expect to this time around) but it seems to make sense to de-centralize some things.
    Might be time to consider going with the iPad Pro instead of a full desktop. Look into it. I've recommended the iPad to several people and they've abandoned their desktops entirely.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    eightzero said:
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:

Might be time to consider going with the iPad Pro instead of a full desktop. Look into it. I've recommended the iPad to several people and they've abandoned their desktops entirely.
    You know, I am thinking that. 2 things I still need to evaluate: I do like a big screen. a BIG screen. Not sure how that might work with an iPad. I also like a mechanical keyboard (easy enough with the iPad) but i dislike not having a persistent cursor and mouse. I need to think it through more.

I do have several iPads, but I use them (currently) for very different things. I guess I just need to..well...think different.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    eightzero said:

Wonderful. Just came in here to check on the update thread before I updated my late 2009 iMac.

Guess I'm holding off until anyone else with the same model confirms they've been successful.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    frank777 said:
    eightzero said:

Wonderful. Just came in here to check on the update thread before I updated my late 2009 iMac.

Guess I'm holding off until anyone else with the same model confirms they've been successful.
    I did get it back with a restore from the Time Machine backup that predated 10.12.2. a few things jacked up (like email preferences) but it appears I didn't lose anything. This latter part is important. I've never lost data to a mac, and I've had many hardware failures over the decades. Not one byte lost. Some sleep lost, but not data.

Not sure if I'm going to retry the update. 

I'm sort of settling on replacing the iMac with a nice display and either a macbook in a dock; or a mac mini. I do have a 2013 macbook air, so that helps bridge the gap somewhat.
    SolijSnively