How to get more Aerial Apple TV videos or change your screensaver outright

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2017
The fourth generation Apple TV ships with a couple of Aerial screen saver videos pre-installed. If you didn't tell it to check automatically for new videos when you set up the Apple TV, It doesn't take long to tire of the small initial selection -- but Apple's got loads more, and AppleInsider will tell you how to get them.

Here's how to change the screen saver if you'd rather not see any more of the in-air videos at all, and also how to get more Aerial videos from Apple.

The procedure to do both is similar. To start:
  • Open Settings

• Select "General"

• Select "Screensaver"

• Select "Type"

• If you wish to change the screen saver, select which you want on this screen, and back out.

However, if you want more Aerial videos:
  • Select "Aerial" even if it is already selected.

• Hit the "Menu" button once on the Siri Remote

• A new menu option, "Download new videos" is available - select that.

• Then, select how often you want to download new Aerial videos from the Apple servers

There are 11 different locations for the Aerial screen saver, and 55 different videos in total. Apple says that the Aerial screensaver takes about 600 MB of a month, so be mindful.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    Yea nice, except that it doesn't work on our device - keeps playing the same two or three videos even with the "daily" option selected...
    revenantdoozydozenthinkman@chartermi.netRenderdog
  • Reply 2 of 32
    I am going to finally get around to buying an AppleTV 4. The 2nd Gen in the basement is getting long in the tooth (e.g., the YouTube app is gone), so I have to bite the bullet. 

This is the FIRST EVER Apple product purchase that I can recall where I am going, "meh."

The only question I have is whether I should save $50, i.e., whether a 32GB will suffice...
  • Reply 3 of 32
    revenantrevenant Posts: 621member
    hucom2000 said:
    Yea nice, except that it doesn't work on our device - keeps playing the same two or three videos even with the "daily" option selected...
    I restarted and changed options and changed then back to Aerial and daily--nothing new for days.  
    hucom2000
  • Reply 4 of 32
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    I am going to finally get around to buying an AppleTV 4. The 2nd Gen in the basement is getting long in the tooth (e.g., the YouTube app is gone), so I have to bite the bullet. 

This is the FIRST EVER Apple product purchase that I can recall where I am going, "meh."

The only question I have is whether I should save $50, i.e., whether a 32GB will suffice...
    I have one each of Apple TV versions 2, 3, and 4. I installed the Kodi hack on the 2 version so I now have YouTube, MeTV, and local files for viewing. You may want to give that a try.

You will like the 4 version. Having a swipe option, dictation, and installable apps is nice. I also installed an app for viewing local files.

Between the options I cut off cable tv. Instead of buying a new Apple TV have you considered the ATT Apple TV offer? I don't know if it is still available. It was something like pay for three months of service and get an ATV 4 for free. The three month total was less cost than buying a new ATV 4 and you get three months of service.

Looks like the offer expired but the page is still up. When I click on the redeem button it takes me to a seven day free signup

https://directvnow.com/appletv
    edited January 2017 anantksundaramSolilostkiwi
  • Reply 5 of 32
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    Interesting to read about others' experiences... I've got three Apple TV 4 devices - all set to download new screen savers daily. Since a year ago when I bought my first Apple TV 4, I've only seen a small number of the same screen savers. I've also noticed that the screen savers are not associated with day and night like they're supposed to be - i.e., I'll see daytime screen savers at 11 o'clock at night. My time zone is set correctly, I have very few apps installed, and the units have been reset and the firmware upgraded several times.
    doozydozenlostkiwi
  • Reply 6 of 32
    zroger73 said:
    Interesting to read about others' experiences... I've got three Apple TV 4 devices - all set to download new screen savers daily. Since a year ago when I bought my first Apple TV 4, I've only seen a small number of the same screen savers. I've also noticed that the screen savers are not associated with day and night like they're supposed to be - i.e., I'll see daytime screen savers at 11 o'clock at night. My time zone is set correctly, I have very few apps installed, and the units have been reset and the firmware upgraded several times.
    Exactly the same behaviour on our Apple TV. As if random would end up with mostly the same videos.
    tomkarl
  • Reply 7 of 32
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

I use my ATV4 for:

- Watching all my paid subscriptions and live TV guide
    - Netflix
    - Plex for my local content
    - Viewing our photos and albums on a big screen through iCloud library
    - Screen mirroring from iPhone/iPad when shared browsing
    - Airplaying photos/videos
    - Light gaming
    - Watching Youtube clips
    - Controling homekit products through Siri
    - Yoga (my wife and I use an app as a virtual class a couple times a week. Much more convenient than trudging to and paying for classes)
    - A virtual fireplace/fishtank/etc to enhance the atmosphere when we're hosting
    - Streaming music through spotify and Apple Music
    - And a couple other things that don't occur to me now..

Yeah.. definitely not a "meh" product for me. Probably the most useful and value-filled Apple product I own. It feels like a fucking steal to me for $200. If I had to choice but to pay 5X as much for it, I would, because it is used constantly for a variety of things and enhances our lives. But, to each their own. 
    davenlostkiwisteveaustanthemanwilliamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 32
    rattlhedrattlhed Posts: 155member

I have 2 Apple TV 4's, both are the 32GB versions.  I don't play any games with them, just use them for streaming video, so the only apps I have installed are TV related apps that are pretty small file sizes.  So 32GB is plenty of room for me.  Unless you plan on downloading lots of games, I would say the 64GB is just no necessary.
    anantksundaramlostkiwi
  • Reply 9 of 32
    slurpy said:

I use my ATV4 for:

- Watching all my paid subscriptions and live TV guide
    - Netflix
    - Plex for my local content
    - Viewing our photos and albums on a big screen through iCloud library
    - Screen mirroring from iPhone/iPad when shared browsing
    - Airplaying photos/videos
    - Light gaming
    - Watching Youtube clips
    - Controling homekit products through Siri
    - Yoga (my wife and I use an app as a virtual class a couple times a week. Much more convenient than trudging to and paying for classes)
    - A virtual fireplace/fishtank/etc to enhance the atmosphere when we're hosting
    - Streaming music through spotify and Apple Music
    - And a couple other things that don't occur to me now..

Yeah.. definitely not a "meh" product for me. Probably the most useful and value-filled Apple product I own. It feels like a fucking steal to me for $200. If I had to choice but to pay 5X as much for it, I would, because it is used constantly for a variety of things and enhances our lives. But, to each their own. 
    All those -- with the exception of gaming and HomeKit neither of which applies to me -- are things that work well with the 3rd Gen (of which I have two). Viewing photos, screen mirroring, and playing my music from the cloud are things I find indispensable.

Frankly, if Apple still sold the 3rd gen, I would buy it. (I don't want to get it from from some third party source). But as you say, each to their own.

As an aside, it's quite silly that Apple can't figure out a detente with Amazon and get them on board (especially when I can access it with two button clicks on all my television sets at home.)
    steveauwilliamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 32

daven said:

I have one each of Apple TV versions 2, 3, and 4. I installed the Kodi hack on the 2 version so I now have YouTube, MeTV, and local files for viewing. You may want to give that a try.

You will like the 4 version. Having a swipe option, dictation, and installable apps is nice. I also installed an app for viewing local files.

Between the options I cut off cable tv. Instead of buying a new Apple TV have you considered the ATT Apple TV offer? I don't know if it is still available. It was something like pay for three months of service and get an ATV 4 for free. The three month total was less cost than buying a new ATV 4 and you get three months of service.

Looks like the offer expired but the page is still up. When I click on the redeem button it takes me to a seven day free signup

Thank you for that info. The DirecTV offer is now gone, though.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    mwhitemwhite Posts: 287member

edited January 2017
  • Reply 12 of 32
    mwhitemwhite Posts: 287member

daven said:

Try this link https://directvnow.com/appletv I just tried it and it is gone sorry.

edited January 2017
  • Reply 13 of 32
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 404member
    I honestly wish the video downloads would work, and play consecutively. The ones I have seen are great, but I have seen no where near 11 locations and 50 videos.
    doozydozenlostkiwi
  • Reply 14 of 32
    The whole screen save settings thing annoys me. In order to use my own photos, they have to be in a shared iCloud album. Never mind that I can manually see every photo stored in photos, they have to be in an iCloud album to be the screensaver. Also, it randomly resets back to the default aerial screen saver all on its own about three times a month. I have 3 4th gen models and they all do it. The 2nd and 3rd gen models always reset back to the default slideshow after a week or two as well. I really wish there was a better way to show my photos on my tv screen than to rely on the buggy screensaver in the Apple TV.
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 15 of 32
    mwhite said:

daven said:

Try this link https://directvnow.com/appletv I just tried it and it is gone sorry.

Actually, I found a Gen 3 on sale at Staples for $69, which seems like a good deal. (So, I'll renege on my plan to not use 3rd party for Apple products...). 

I'll wait for the 5th Gen before replacing them.

williamlondon
  • Reply 16 of 32

pumasalad said:
    The 2nd and 3rd gen models always reset back to the default slideshow after a week or two as well. I really wish there was a better way to show my photos on my tv screen than to rely on the buggy screensaver in the Apple TV.
    Couldn't agree more. AirPlay is fine, but the colors get all messed up.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 17 of 32
    pumasalad said:
    The whole screen save settings thing annoys me. In order to use my own photos, they have to be in a shared iCloud album. Never mind that I can manually see every photo stored in photos, they have to be in an iCloud album to be the screensaver. Also, it randomly resets back to the default aerial screen saver all on its own about three times a month. I have 3 4th gen models and they all do it. The 2nd and 3rd gen models always reset back to the default slideshow after a week or two as well. I really wish there was a better way to show my photos on my tv screen than to rely on the buggy screensaver in the Apple TV.
    YES! And in TWO Apple Store visits no-one would just say "the software isn't set up well" and instead told me I should just Google around for the answer. 

Do you just add new photos to your iCould album? Or is there a way to auto-populate with the latest ones? 
  • Reply 18 of 32
    After noting that the what-should-be-interesting video screen savers don't cycle - i.e., I get one or two at the most, with the second one typically repeating over and over again, I went back to using folders created in Photos of interesting and beautiful images I compile, select in iTunes Photo Sharing, and my favorite transition. It should be noted that these folders be no more than 100 images, which seems to be (according to Apple) the max number that will be cycled through. So, I make a number of folders, and will from time to time, change them as well as the transition - though Origami is my favorite. I'm obsessive enough that I trim all borders from all images, so that they are seamless and meld into one beautiful design. I do, however, wish Apple would make the Aerial Flybys cycle throughout the range of the supposedly many they offer! If anyone knows if and how this can be done, I'm certain there are many here who, like me, would love to know!
  • Reply 19 of 32
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    hucom2000 said:
    Yea nice, except that it doesn't work on our device - keeps playing the same two or three videos even with the "daily" option selected…
    I was agreeing with you as I read your post but then I started to tally what I can recall seeing. I don't know how many videos there are, but I seem to recall at least 2 views for many locations (Dubai, Arctic, San Francisco, Sahara, China, and Los Angeles).
  • Reply 20 of 32
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member

The only question I have is whether I should save $50, i.e., whether a 32GB will suffice…
    1) So far, I've seen no one come close to using up the 32 GiB capacity, but who knows what will happen in x-years. I'll probably move to a 4K version as soon as it comes out, but I based my purchase on having it about the same amount of time that I had my 3rd gen Apple TV in use, which is 4.5 years since I just got one with my DirecTV Now signup.

2) Is the 2nd gen Apple TV still going to 2–3x their original cost due to their hack-ability?