Apple's iOS 10 now on 3 out of 4 compatible devices

Posted:
in iPhone
In newly released iOS 10 adoption statistics, Apple on Thursday revealed 76 percent of compatible devices are now running the current generation operating system, a massive uptick since iPhone 7 launched in September.

According to Apple's latest numbers, published to the company's developer web portal, 76 percent of compatible iOS devices were running a version of iOS 10 as of Wednesday.

The numbers are up significantly from Apple's last reading on Nov. 27, which showed the OS installed on only 63 percent of active devices. A month prior, data from research firm Mixpanel found iOS 10 adoption surpass the halfway mark in late September when the OS was tracking at 55 percent.

While Apple does not offer day-by-day statistics, it can be assumed that the holidays brought a raft of new users and late upgraders.

Despite a sizable leap from November, iOS 10 distribution is just one percent higher than iOS 9 metrics measured at roughly the same time last year. At the time, the last-generation OS was gaining new converts at a rate of about one percent per week.

Apple's resource notes 18 percent of devices visiting the App Store are still running iOS 9, while another 6 percent are on older versions of the OS.

Apple released iOS 10 in September with design enhancements and feature additions to Messages, Maps, Siri, Photos, Apple Music, News, and more. The company most recently issued iOS 10.2 with the new TV app and refreshed emoji characters.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Fantastic adoption curve, versus the shotgun adoption of Android's latest.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 19
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    And those idiots with iPhoneys say "Apple's is behind!!" while using an OS that's at least 2 years old. 
    edited January 2017 radarthekatchiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 19
    cali said:
    And those idiots with iPhoneys say "Apple's is behind!!" while using an OS that's at least 2 years old. 
    I know...it's only the best iOS on the best iOS devises (iPhone/iPad) in the history of mankind! What are all these people complaining about?  Sheesh. :)

Best. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 19
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Apple annoys people to death till they adopt it.   I'm surprised its not higher.

I never like to be pestered to install the new versions when a new phone comes out.
    its particularly irksome with the xx.0
    versions.   I don't want to be an apple beta tester.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    mtbnutmtbnut Posts: 199member
    Wall Street sees:

Apple's iOS 10 not on 1 out of 4 compatible devices

"We thus urge our clients and institutional investors to divest their AAPL positions." 
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 6 of 19
    k2kw said:
    Apple annoys people to death till they adopt it.   I'm surprised its not higher.

I never like to be pestered to install the new versions when a new phone comes out.
    Recent updates have proven to be far more stable and better thought out than previous ones.
    GeorgeBMacchiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 19
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    k2kw said:
    As opposed to Android ignore people blissfully for their incapability of any updates?
    Sure, no one care about updates because they are not good for you. /s

watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 19
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    mtbnut said:
    Wall Street sees:

Apple's iOS 10 not on 1 out of 4 compatible devices

"We thus urge our clients and institutional investors to divest their AAPL positions." 
    And then they say, put all your money in that alphabet "soup" (sic) Company
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 19
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,111member
    I know this is going to be an unpopular comment, but I regret installing iOS 10 on my iPhone 6. I've been an extremely satisfied iPhone user since 2008, to the point where friends sometimes tease me about it, but for the first time in almost 9 years I now have to be very careful to not kill the battery before the end of the day. Until iOS 10, I typically ended the day above 80%, so the change is pretty drastic, and sometimes the phone just dies with no warning. I was recently on my way to a party far from home in the early evening, and I pulled out my phone to check the address and it died before I could pull up the details, so I had to wander around and hope I recognized the building from memories of a previous party in the same place a few years ago. I really hope they do something to solve this problem in an update soon.
    edited January 2017 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    kevin kee said:
    k2kw said:
    As opposed to Android ignore people blissfully for their incapability of any updates?
    Sure, no one care about updates because they are not good for you. /s

Too worried about their phone blowing off their fingers maybe. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 19
    I know this is going to be an unpopular comment, but I regret installing iOS 10 on my iPhone 6. I've been an extremely satisfied iPhone user since 2008, to the point where friends sometimes tease me about it, but for the first time in almost 9 years I now have to be very careful to not kill the battery before the end of the day. Until iOS 10, I typically ended the day above 80%, so the change is pretty drastic, and sometimes the phone just dies with no warning. I was recently on my way to a party far from home in the early evening, and I pulled out my phone to check the address and it died before I could pull up the details, so I had to wander around and hope I recognized the building from memories of a previous party in the same place a few years ago. I really hope they do something to solve this problem in an update soon.
    Have you used Coconut Battery to check out the battery health on the device? At 2.25 years, it wouldn't really be surprising to see it start behaving poorly around now. A new battery will cost around $120 after install and get you two more years of mileage out of it.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Headline makes it sound like iOS is only compatible with 4 devices.  I guess Apple really are in trouble.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    k2kw said:

Recent updates have proven to be far more stable and better thought out than previous ones.
    Apple is the ONLY company that I trust enough to install a new release without waiting weeks or months to let other consumers do the testing for them.  Before them it was IBM, but they've moved on...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Yes, many on this forum do not tolerate any criticism of Apple or its products.   But I have experienced the same on my IPhone 6+.   More to the point, it will show a 30% charge until I start up a video at which time it shuts down completely.  When I first plug it into a charger, it shows a completely drained battery but, when it restarts it shows a 30-40% charge again.   Plus, like you, I seem to be experiencing more battery drain generally.   An Apple tech blamed it on a bad battery even though the battery tested in the positive area.

I understand that Apple, in their 10.2 release has incorporated diagnostics to identify the reason for these problems.

In the meantime, I would suggest you get yourself a car charger.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Eric_WVGG said:
    Have you used Coconut Battery to check out the battery health on the device? At 2.25 years, it wouldn't really be surprising to see it start behaving poorly around now. A new battery will cost around $120 after install and get you two more years of mileage out of it.
    A new battery should not cost anywhere near that amount (a typical battery of that capacity should be about $40). I also regret installing iOS 10 on my iPhone 6, because it slowed down significantly afterwards (due to the 1GB of RAM). The iPad Air 2 (which has the same A8 processor but 2GBs of RAM) is much faster,

And yet, people will argue that Software and Hardware designed together don't need more memory. Maybe not on the day of release, but 1 or 2 OS'es lateer and you're going to notice. I won't upgrade to iOS 11 even if my device is compatible because the experience will be awful. A bit like the iPad 2 and iOS 8 or 9.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Eric_WVGG said:
    A new battery should not cost anywhere near that amount (a typical battery of that capacity should be about $40). I also regret installing iOS 10 on my iPhone 6, because it slowed down significantly afterwards (due to the 1GB of RAM). The iPad Air 2 (which has the same A8 processor but 2GBs of RAM) is much faster,

And yet, people will argue that Software and Hardware designed together don't need more memory. Maybe not on the day of release, but 1 or 2 OS'es lateer and you're going to notice. I won't upgrade to iOS 11 even if my device is compatible because the experience will be awful. A bit like the iPad 2 and iOS 8 or 9.
    Mine slowed down a bit too.  I don't notice it using Apps.  But I do notice when I try to enter the passcode:  Now it always misses the first digit that I type.  I'm learning patience...
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Is the adoption quicker because people are accustomed now to new technologies and new looks and feels so they have no problem going to something new or is it because they were not fully satisfied with the last version and were eager to accept something new?
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Apple has admitted a problem with "a small number" of iPhone 6s phones, but I have had the exact same problem on my iPhone 6 as you're describing (as have many other people, from what I've seen).

For example, one day I was getting "normal" usage out of my battery. Suddenly it dropped down to about 30%. I called an Uber. Within a minute or two the battery level dropped from 30% down to 2%. It then stayed at 2% for about 15 minutes while I drove home. As soon as I got home I plugged it in to charge, and the level *immediately* jumped from 2% to 27%. In short, I've seen lots of weirdness with battery levels, including a few times when the phone died on me unexpectedly.

My iPhone 6 never had any sort of battery problem until I put iOS 10 on it. It seems to me that they've screwed up something in their battery-monitoring logic.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Apple has admitted a problem with "a small number" of iPhone 6s phones, but I have had the exact same problem on my iPhone 6 as you're describing (as have many other people, from what I've seen).

For example, one day I was getting "normal" usage out of my battery. Suddenly it dropped down to about 30%. I called an Uber. Within a minute or two the battery level dropped from 30% down to 2%. It then stayed at 2% for about 15 minutes while I drove home. As soon as I got home I plugged it in to charge, and the level *immediately* jumped from 2% to 27%. In short, I've seen lots of weirdness with battery levels, including a few times when the phone died on me unexpectedly.

My iPhone 6 never had any sort of battery problem until I put iOS 10 on it. It seems to me that they've screwed up something in their battery-monitoring logic.

My 6+ is doing the same thing.   I believe that in the last update to version 10 (10.2) they included some diagnostics to find out why the batteries are behaving improperly.  But, I don't know if they are looking at this specific problem or not. 

When I took mine to the Apple store and explained the problem to them they told me to buy a new battery since mine was close to reading in the 'needs replaced' zone (but was still OK).  I declined and later gave them a poor review (partly because she was rude).  I got a call back from them as a result of the poor review and they suggested I buy a new phone!  I of course declined that suggestion as well.

But, I have to say:  I have not experienced the problem for the past several weeks.  Perhaps 10.2 resolved the problem?   I don't know.  But neither am I complaining!