Programmer who spearheaded Swift to exit Apple [u]

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    asdasd said:
    The exodus from Apple is a bit scary. 

Right? This stuff practically never happens.

Everyone at Apple, regardless of position, pay, contribution, and other opportunities, stays at Apple, all the time, for the rest of their lives, even after death. 

Why, I just had a glimpse of a mummified Bertrand Serlet being wheeled toward the Apple HQ cafeteria! I think he's having the veggie wrap.
    It was actually very rare to have people leave early or in the middle of their work during Jobs' reign. There were next veterans who were there for 20 years who were the major contributors to OS X and then to the iPhone. 

In the last few years this has been accelerating. 
    canukstorm
  • Reply 22 of 36
    Oh and bertrand is very much alive. Odd comment. 
  • Reply 23 of 36
    asdasd said:
    Not that latner is guaranteed to make a good VP - a whole different ballgame to being a technical lead. 
    That could be the exact reason he is taking this job -- to prove himself in a broader venue.
    I think it's more of a strategic "trade." What a great opportunity for Apple to have some Swift talent at Tesla to possibly now be able to incorporate Swift in some form or fashion into Tesla's software development!

I'm not a programmer, but knowing a little about Swift's and Objective C's potential power and object orientation and strong intercommunication between objects and processes, it would seem to be a great platform for the complex tasks of Autopilot.

And it would seem to invite, ultimately, deep compatibility with Apple's ecosystem.
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 24 of 36
    He became a spy send to Tesla.
  • Reply 25 of 36
    asdasd said:
    asdasd said:

Everyone at Apple, regardless of position, pay, contribution, and other opportunities, stays at Apple, all the time, for the rest of their lives, even after death. 

Why, I just had a glimpse of a mummified Bertrand Serlet being wheeled toward the Apple HQ cafeteria! I think he's having the veggie wrap.
    It was actually very rare to have people leave early or in the middle of their work during Jobs' reign. There were next veterans who were there for 20 years who were the major contributors to OS X and then to the iPhone. 

Completely different market/industry conditions from even a few years ago. 

Unless Apple is a special case of some sort, it's just the nature of the biz. 
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 26 of 36
    asdasd said:
    Not that latner is guaranteed to make a good VP - a whole different ballgame to being a technical lead. 
    That could be the exact reason he is taking this job -- to prove himself in a broader venue.
    I think it's more of a strategic "trade." What a great opportunity for Apple to have some Swift talent at Tesla to possibly now be able to incorporate Swift in some form or fashion into Tesla's software development!

I'm not a programmer, but knowing a little about Swift's and Objective C's potential power and object orientation and strong intercommunication between objects and processes, it would seem to be a great platform for the complex tasks of Autopilot.

And it would seem to invite, ultimately, deep compatibility with Apple's ecosystem.

Your strategic trade comment is interesting -- there are many possibilities of co-operation between Apple and Tessa.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    asdasd said:
    Interesting that Apple couldn't find a spot for him on Project Titan.
    cali
  • Reply 28 of 36
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    asdasd said:
    asdasd said:

Didn't Avie Tevanian left during Jobs's reign, while OSX was still half-baked? People come and go from Apple all the time. You only hear about it more because no other company is worth writing about, apparently. 
    edited January 2017 StrangeDays
  • Reply 29 of 36

Does anyone know anything about Chris' replacement:  Ted Kremenek?
  • Reply 30 of 36
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    asdasd said:
    asdasd said:

If true (and I'm not sure that it is to any meaningful degree), that may partially have been down to the illegal anti-poaching understandings that were in place in the 00s.
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 31 of 36
    crowley said:
    asdasd said:
    asdasd said:

That may partially have been down to the illegal anti-poaching understandings that were in place in the 00s.
    Good point.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    asdasd said:
    Not really, it's just confirmation bias. You don't hear about the comings & goings elsewhere; I doubt Apple's attrition rate is special in Silicon Valley.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    asdasd said:
    asdasd said:

Interesting -- do you have links to back up those claims? Otherwise I don't know how you know what Apple's attrition is and has been. There are still vets at Apple who have been there for decades, some since the original Mac.
    propod
  • Reply 34 of 36
    Mmm...

We would like to welcome Chris Lattner, who will join Tesla as our Vice President of Autopilot Software.Chris’ reputation for engineering excellence is well known. He comes to Tesla after 11 years at Apple where he was primarily responsible for creating Swift, the programming language for building apps on Apple platforms and one of the fastest growing languages for doing so on Linux. Prior to Apple, Chris was lead author of the LLVM Compiler Infrastructure, an open source umbrella project that is widely used in commercial products and academic research today. 

As Chris joins Tesla, we would like to give a special thanks to Jinnah Hosein, SpaceX’s Vice President of Software, who has been serving a dual role as the interim Vice President of Tesla Autopilot Software and will now be heading back to SpaceX full-time. We would like to thank Jinnah for the efforts needed to achieve excellence in both roles, David Nister, our Vice President of Autopilot Vision, and the team for their exceptional work in advancing Autopilot.

We are very excited that Chris is joining Tesla to lead our Autopilot engineering team and accelerate the future of autonomous driving.

https://www.tesla.com/blog/welcome-chris-lattner
    Maybe they'll recompile Tesla's autopilot software in Swift? ;)  Could make them a more attractive takeover target for Apple.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    Rayz2016 said:
    asdasd said:
    asdasd said:

Didn't Avie Tevanian left during Jobs's reign, while OSX was still half-baked? People come and go from Apple all the time. You only hear about it more because no other company is worth writing about, apparently. 
    he had released plenty of OS X versions at that stage. Would be like leaving during the OS X beta program. 

• Reply 36 of 36
    asdasd said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    asdasd said:
    asdasd said:

he had released plenty of OS X versions at that stage. Would be like leaving during the OS X beta program. 

OS X was essentially "beta" software until 10.3.0 was released.
    Rayz2016