Apple's 'Designed by Apple in California' book now available in more countries

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2017
Apple's recently released photo-book, "Designed by Apple in California," is now available in a number of additional global markets, continuing an expansion from what was initially a limited run.

Some of the new countries include Brazil, Canada, Italy, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Ireland, Spain, Sweden and Singapore. The book can be ordered online and in some cases purchased directly from local Apple retail stores. In Canada, for instance, the book is already available at the Yorkdale outlet in Toronto.

"Designed by Apple in California" originally shipped in Nov. 2016, and has since come to a number of regions beyond Apple's U.S. home, such as Australia, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, and the U.K. Retail availability was highly restricted at first, confined to high-profile U.S. Apple stores and a handful of international locations.

The book is available in 10.2-by-12.8- and 13-by-16.3-inch formats, with U.S. prices of $199 and $299, respectively. Each features 450 product photos by Andrew Zuckerman, cataloging 20 years of Apple products including Macs, iPhones, iPods and more, sometimes breaking them down into individual components.

Though it's not clear how well the title is selling, it was immediately parodied in the media. Some critics accused it of being expensive, self-promotional, and/or a collection of images that can often be found online for free.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    So in New Zealand it will be about $600 including tax etc for the bigger one. Holy s****.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Holy moly a $300 book from Apple! I am sure China is already selling their counterfeit version for $30.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Its actually a very nice book...extremely well made. This is definitely not a $50 book like some are suggesting. Its obvious they've never seen it in person. Its a coffee table book...not just an everyday photos book you see in Barnes and Noble. 
    caliStrangeDays
  • Reply 4 of 13
    I'm waiting for the paperback or ePaper version. /s It's strange. Apple isn't the first to ever offer an expensive coffee table book but with all the uproar about it you'd think Apple was the first to have ever done this. I'm not sure why anyone would pay $1750 for a photo book on Naomi Campbell, but certainly there are people who have bought it. Like anything else, we can either buy it or not. I'll just add this book to my constantly growing list of things I can't easily afford in my life.
    macxpresschiacaliStrangeDays
  • Reply 5 of 13
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    I'm waiting for the paperback or ePaper version. /s It's strange. Apple isn't the first to ever offer an expensive coffee table book but with all the uproar about it you'd think Apple was the first to have ever done this. I'm not sure why anyone would pay $1750 for a photo book on Naomi Campbell, but certainly there are people who have bought it. Like anything else, we can either buy it or not. I'll just add this book to my constantly growing list of things I can't easily afford in my life.
    I don't think some people realize how much a quality coffee table book actually costs. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 6 of 13
    guyrguyr Posts: 50member
    If you think these books are expensive, I suggest you go check out the Taschen SUMO books, then you'd see what 'BIG' and expensive look like... hint, they come with their own stand.
    fotoformat
  • Reply 7 of 13
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,324member
    I have the larger size book.  I received it as a Christmas gift.  (I have some very generous brothers.)  Technically speaking, this is not a coffee table book insofar as I've never seen a coffee table large enough to accommodate this massive book, and certainly not with coffee or tea on the table!  I honestly don't know where to put it other than in a closet.

I also have the older SO FAR book.  It too is large, but a more reasonable size and weight.    It also has more text, which is to my liking.  The new book contains only shots of new machines Apple has made, and there is almost no text in it.

The only merit I see in actually buying this new book from Apple is if you think there will be a good resale value for it someday.  People buy crazy things, so who knows!
  • Reply 8 of 13
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    This sounds about right:

• Reply 9 of 13
    I bought the large version of the book.

I work in the design industry and am impressed with the print detail and materials used.

It's not to everyone's taste, but if you appreciate quality you will like this.
    macxpressmacgui
  • Reply 10 of 13
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    macxpress said:
    I don't think some people realize how much a quality coffee table book actually costs. 
    No fold-out legs (so it can become a coffee table itself), no sale. 
  • Reply 11 of 13
    macxpress said:
    There are a lot of great quality coffee table books out there that don't cost $300. 
  • Reply 12 of 13
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    markiezyy said;
    There are a lot of great quality coffee table books out there that don't cost $300.  
    So what.

Despite what's previously been said, this is not a 'coffee table' book. And even if it was, the price of other 'coffee table' books is irrelevant. There are cheaper books, cars, homes, computers. So what.

This is a design book. Those in the profession of design have several books of this type, all more costly than most anything you'd shop for at your local B&N. They're used as text books/reference books far more often than as 'coffee table' books.

If someone wants to buy one for their coffee table to impress others or for their own personal enjoyment, Apple has made it easy. It's an expensive book, even for those who'd claim they can appreciate the quality of a good book. This is a really, well done, exquisite work of art. Not everybody can appreciate it, nor has too. The Mona Lisa is an incredible work of art to some. To others 'It's some old broad and she isn't even smiling. You call THAT a smile?? I can get a copy for $5 on the street!!' That it's not for everybody doesn't mean it's not for anybody.

Call it what you will, as your motives dictate.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    jamesmcd said:
    So in New Zealand it will be about $600 including tax etc for the bigger one. Holy s****.
    SInce NZ and AUS currency is almost similiar, it won't be $600. Apple is selling this in AUS at A$289 / A$429.
    edited January 2017