Following Apple's decline, Foxconn reports first sales dip in 25 years

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    altivec88 said:
    altivec88 said:

Point being,  phone size shouldn't be the determining factor of which products get better stuff unless of course its a physical constraint making it impossible.
    You just answered your own complaint in that last statement, and if her next phone is going to be Android just because of size, I feel sorry she's willing to make such a MASSIVE sacrifice, a very foolish one.

And BTW, the iPhone SE isn't "so old specked", that's a complete pile of horse shit. It's got the guts of a iPhone 6S, which STILL murders almost every Android clunker on the market.
    We upgraded last year.  So I got a 6S Plus and she got a 6S.   Camera looks to be the same size to me?  but mine got image stabilization and hers doesn't.   Can't see why that couldn't be offered in a 6S size.   
    Wait, so because you can't see a difference in the cameras from the outside, it means the engineering challenges of putting the OIS camera into the smaller shell must not exist!? You're basically suggesting they were being deceitful when saying the bigger size had more room to put stuff in? The VP of engineering said about the 7 that it was specifically the gains of ditching the 3.5mm port that enabled them to add better cameras and imaging processors (and more battery and water seals). And I'm sure they got better at miniaturizing that camera the past couple of years since its introduction.

Sorry but if you're not an electrical engineer working at Apple I'm not sure how you could tell that by looking at it.
    edited January 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 33
    altivec88 said:
    altivec88 said:

Point being,  phone size shouldn't be the determining factor of which products get better stuff unless of course its a physical constraint making it impossible.
    You just answered your own complaint in that last statement, and if her next phone is going to be Android just because of size, I feel sorry she's willing to make such a MASSIVE sacrifice, a very foolish one.

And BTW, the iPhone SE isn't "so old specked", that's a complete pile of horse shit. It's got the guts of a iPhone 6S, which STILL murders almost every Android clunker on the market.
    We upgraded last year.  So I got a 6S Plus and she got a 6S.   Camera looks to be the same size to me?  but mine got image stabilization and hers doesn't.   Can't see why that couldn't be offered in a 6S size.   
    Wait, so because you can't see a difference in the cameras from the outside, it means the engineering challenges of putting the OIS camera into the smaller shell must not exist!? You're basically suggesting they were being deceitful when saying the bigger size had more room to put stuff in? The VP of engineering said about the 7 that it was specifically the gains of ditching the 3.5mm port that enabled them to add better cameras and imaging processors (and more battery and water seals). And I'm sure they got better at miniaturizing that camera the past couple of years since its introduction.

Sorry but if you're not an electrical engineer working at Apple I'm not sure how you could tell that by looking at it.
    I never said they were "deceitful".  Its common practice to put features in more expensive products to attraction an up-sell.  Just like they add larger storage options that cost them little.  They are hopping you pick a larger storage options to give them a bigger profit compared to their average profit.  Thats just business.

What I'm saying is that upsellng on storage makes sense.  Up-selling on screen size does not.  Someone wanting a small phone but wants all the features is not going to want a plus and it has nothing to do with money.   Are they doing this? I don't know, but if they are, in my opinion I would like them not to.   Whats the big deal if I think this.  Clearly the smallest size did not get the love of a new case design.  Again, I am not saying that the 5se is a crap phone just that they aren't treating it the same as the other phones.   I can't understand why this is so upsetting to you.  I'm not saying they are being deceitful, doing it wrong or they are crap.  Its just my opinion.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    I wonder how Cook and Co will blow the iPhone 8? I can't think of anything Apple has done right, recently.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    While Apple tried to put a positive spin on the situation, last year it posted its first annual sales decline since 2001, something directly related to lower iPhone sales.
    BANKRUPTCY!!! Folding within the year!
  • Reply 25 of 33
    zone said:
    This is so stupid... stop making it sound like the company is going out of business. A sales decline of an amazing number is still amazing! Apple make a larger profit in 1 quarter than most companies out there. Stop trying to manipulate the stock...
    Stop taking a company so seriously like it's life or death. It's just a freaking company. No need to have that much emotional attachment to it. I like what they make and use a lot of the products but don't get bent out of shape if anyone says anything good or bad about them. There are much other things in the world to care about more than a company.
    First, this website isn't about "other things in the world to care about more than a company" or it would cover those "other things."

Secondly, nobody's talking "like it's life or death." I don't think its unreasonable to ask for news coverage that is accurate and refrained, free from sensational but unsubstantiated speculation.

Third, I'm amused that anyone defending Apple  (or merely appearing to) offends you this much, that you have to scold them. To paraphrase you: There are much other things in the world to care about more than what some random person on the Internet thinks of a company.
    edited January 2017 bestkeptsecret
  • Reply 26 of 33
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    mj web said:
    I wonder how Cook and Co will blow the iPhone 8? I can't think of anything Apple has done right, recently.
    Removing the headphone jack is probably one of the best things they've done recently. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 33
    Old news... everyone knew the 6s was gonna be lower and the 7 would be a hold over model until the 8 arrives. Plus, everyone is suffering from smart phone saturation and the cheap Chinese competition. The only real disappointment was the Macbook Pro models and Apple's insistence of replacing the great Air lineup with these new expensive machines.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    zone said:
    This is so stupid... stop making it sound like the company is going out of business. A sales decline of an amazing number is still amazing! Apple make a larger profit in 1 quarter than most companies out there. Stop trying to manipulate the stock...
    Stop taking a company so seriously like it's life or death. It's just a freaking company. No need to have that much emotional attachment to it. I like what they make and use a lot of the products but don't get bent out of shape if anyone says anything good or bad about them. There are much other things in the world to care about more than a company.

This is a site for people who love all things Apple. They will talk passionately about all things Apple.

The people who come here for news do not come into the comments section. They just check the news from the main page.

The only other people who come here are trolls. You know, the kind of guys who get vicarious pleasure in tearing into all things Apple and the people who like Apple.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 33
    zone said:

This is a site for people who love all things Apple. They will talk passionately about all things Apple.

The people who come here for news do not come into the comments section. They just check the news from the main page.

The only other people who come here are trolls. You know, the kind of guys who get vicarious pleasure in tearing into all things Apple and the people who like Apple.

Wow.  So the only two options are "love all things Apple" or "you are a troll".  No wonder the comments section turns into a circus as if somebody just shot your mother every time someone says something critical.   You know, its possible to like Apple products and still have differing view points.   Apple nor any other company is perfect.  I actually find the response calling the comment stupid and accusing the poster of manipulating stock more of a troll comment.   The point of a discussion board is to discuss things.  I just mentioned that I would like to see all 3 sized phones to be the best they can be and i got jumped on.  So I guess that makes me a troll.  Sheesh.  I guess the comment section of every ariticle should be like this.

Comment 1:  I love Apple.

Comment 2:  Yah me too

Comment 3:  I love the colour of their old rainbow logo

Moderator:  How dare you like the rainbow logo over the decision to have a solid logo.  Banned for life.

Comment 4:  I love Apple.

Comment 5:  Yah me too

Sounds like a fun place.  I hope you find a site thats all pixie dust and fairy tales like that.
    singularity
  • Reply 30 of 33
    'Following Apple's decline'...

PMSL

A tiny dip in sales figures while still making billions in profit due to a saturated market. After the iPhone 8 sales will be up again.

That's the sort of decline most companies dream about!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 33
    altivec88 said:
    zone said:

Wow.  So the only two options are "love all things Apple" or "you are a troll".  No wonder the comments section turns into a circus as if somebody just shot your mother every time someone says something critical.   You know, its possible to like Apple products and still have differing view points.   Apple nor any other company is perfect.  I actually find the response calling the comment stupid and accusing the poster of manipulating stock more of a troll comment.   The point of a discussion board is to discuss things.  I just mentioned that I would like to see all 3 sized phones to be the best they can be and i got jumped on.  So I guess that makes me a troll.  Sheesh.  I guess the comment section of every ariticle should be like this.

Moderator:  How dare you like the rainbow logo over the decision to have a solid logo.  Banned for life.

Sounds like a fun place.  I hope you find a site thats all pixie dust and fairy tales like that.
    Nope. Every other comment is someone lecturing the Apple fans on how fed up they are with Apple fans and their "emotional attachment" to, or "pixie dust and fairytales" opinions of Apple.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 33
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    zone said:
    I have no doubt this post will be deleted but I agree 100% and this is not worthy of AI. The heading "Following Apple's decline" is click bait pure and simple.   It's like being sucker punched when my favorite Apple blog writes crap like that.  I own a lot of Apple stock as well as being a huge Apple fan and user so this sort of BS is potentially damaging to my wallet as well as insulting to my intelligence.  AI gets quoted as a reliable source and should have higher standards.  AAPL is almost at an all time high again so of course the anti Apple rhetoric and stock manipulators' misinformation war is amped up but AI should not indulge this sort of BS.  

DED correctly pointed out all the financial facts in his op ed recently and I for one was staggered to read that even Apple's 'failing products' make 10 x more than most competitors combined.  The perpetuation of the myth that volume equates to success and that profitability can be ignored, e.g. as in posts claiming Samsung's smart phone business is more successful than Apple's, is asinine to say the least.  Let's have truth in headlines and cut the click bait, tabloid tactics AI.
    edited January 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 33
    altivec88 said:
    zone said:

I'm sorry but you are doing a typical Reductio ad absurdum. People who love all things Apple do critique Apple as well. It is done on this forum.

But I've been here long enough to differentiate between genuine critique and trolls. Not sure why my comment got your goat. Makes me wonder...