Waterlogged landscaping, open Atrium shown in latest 4K drone video of Apple's Campus 2

Posted:
in General Discussion
New drone footage of Apple's Campus 2 construction project from the sky reveals progress is still being made on the development, though the onslaught of rain is making the task of landscaping the area a tougher task for developers.

The video starts off by showing the landscaping and construction leading to the car parking structure, able to hold up to 20,000 vehicles. While the building seems mostly complete, work is still being carried out next to the nearby roads.

For the Christmas day drone video, it appeared that part of the cladding of the circular auditorium was removed on the outside, partially showing the scaffolding inside the structure. In the new video, the cladding has returned, preventing anyone from viewing the inside.

On the main building, the work on the solar panels covering the roof and the roof itself appears to be mostly completed, with some of the construction equipment removed from the area. One video shot clearly shows the internal height of the facility, with the uncovered floor-to-ceiling glass showing construction vehicles inside and the potentially cavernous internal area of the Atrium, which is seen with the doors open.

Recent rain has waterlogged the grounds, making landscaping difficult, but progress is still being made. Efforts to plant trees within the main building's central area continue, with rows of planted trees and crated plants clearly visible.

Landscaping efforts to cover the tunnel leading to the underground garage appear to have stalled, though there seems to be more work being done to change the appearance of the tunnel entrances themselves.

Lastly, the footage gives a closer look at the solar-covered multi-story parking, which the video shows is in use by a number of vehicles, most likely from the construction team.

Apple is anticipating a move into Campus 2 sometime this year, with over 12,000 employees expected to work in the main "Spaceship" structure.
ai46

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    Very little has changed since the last video. I look forward to seeing a video update in April, that will show some real progress.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Let me know when Apple releases the Apple Campus 2S

Soliradarthekat
  • Reply 3 of 22
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    JinTech said:
    Very little has changed since the last video. I look forward to seeing a video update in April, that will show some real progress.
    At this stage in the construction of any major building much of the progress will be taking place indoors, finishing out the working spaces.
    tdknoxJinTech
  • Reply 4 of 22
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    JinTech said:
    It's January 11th and you're bitching that not much has changed since the last video which that was released on January 1st? if you don't think a week and half, plus new shots we hadn't seen before and 176 acres covered in water is good enough for you to watch this short video then don't watch it. Personally, I thought the shot of the cars coming and going from parking structure and all the rain and other changes were interesting, and I'll be watching the next video at the end of this month, the next month, and so on until its finished.
    edited January 2017 patchythepirateradarthekat
  • Reply 5 of 22

brikobn said:
    Let me know when Apple releases the Apple Campus 2S
    It looks the same on the outside, but everything inside has changed… but people will complain that it's the exact same campus as before.
    edited January 2017 StrangeDaystdknoxradarthekatfrantisek
  • Reply 6 of 22
    It's a good thing they got nearly all the dirt landscaped to the right dimensions and started planting trees throughput the open areas. That'll surely help a bit once it starts to dry up. Perhaps they'll see some potential issues that can be corrected now based on where water is pooling.
    radarthekat
  • Reply 7 of 22
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    So someone with a desk on the far side of the spaceship, opposite the parking structures, finally arrives at his or her desk and then remembers "oh shoot, I forgot my (something) in the car!"

That's one very big facility to traverse on foot! I'm surprised there's not a circular shuttle system.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    So someone with a desk on the far side of the spaceship, opposite the parking structures, finally arrives at his or her desk and then remembers "oh shoot, I forgot my (something) in the car!"

That's one very big facility to traverse on foot! I'm surprised there's not a circular shuttle system.
    1) Do we know that they won't have one?

2) THere's also a parking structure under the campus.

3) I've worked for companies where either going back home or back to my car was unreasonable. I learned right away that I had to be plan ahead and double check before I left the house, train, or car.

4) I assume that most Apple employees aren't allowed to take their work home with them as part of their secrecy rule.
    patchythepirateradarthekat
  • Reply 9 of 22
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    I'm enjoying every one of these videos. Just seeing the quality of the production is a big draw even when there aren't dramatic changes in the construction. Seeing the car driving along was almost a 'proof of life'.

Maybe Apple will have a supply of Segway-like devices to shuttle people around the campus. Or shuttles. Anybody remember You Only Live Twice?

Probably illegal but I'd like to see the drone drop down to 100' or less on a weekend or holiday and give us more of a people's eye view of the campus. I'm not too far from Cupertino so if the unwashed masses get a tour, I'm in! I need some 4K Mac iron!

patchythepirateradarthekat
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Soli said:
    JinTech said:
    It's January 11th and you're bitching that not much has changed since the last video which that was released on January 1st? if you don't think a week and half, plus new shots we hadn't seen before and 176 acres covered in water is good enough for you to watch this short video then don't watch it. Personally, I thought the shot of the cars coming and going from parking structure and all the rain and other changes were interesting, and I'll be watching the next video at the end of this month, the next month, and so on until its finished.
    I'm not bitching, it's just an observation from the last few video updates. I'm more curious to see a new video update every 2-3 months than one every 15-30 days. 
  • Reply 11 of 22
    macgui said:
    I'm enjoying every one of these videos. Just seeing the quality of the production is a big draw even when there aren't dramatic changes in the construction. Seeing the car driving along was almost a 'proof of life'.

Maybe Apple will have a supply of Segway-like devices to shuttle people around the campus. Or shuttles. Anybody remember You Only Live Twice?

Probably illegal but I'd like to see the drone drop down to 100' or less on a weekend or holiday and give us more of a people's eye view of the campus. I'm not too far from Cupertino so if the unwashed masses get a tour, I'm in! I need some 4K Mac iron!

1) There are underground tunnels. No reason they couldn't use people movers like they have in large airports.

2) Before Segways I'd consider bicycles that you swipe to use using your Apple ID keycard.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    JinTech said:
    Soli said:
    JinTech said:
    I'm not bitching, it's just an observation from the last few video updates. I'm more curious to see a new video update every 2-3 months than one every 15-30 days. 
    Not wanting to see another video until April (your original statement) is perfectly fine, but it's ridiculous to read an article, watch a video, and the post in a forum to say how it sucks that so much hasn't changed since the first of the year video when you know it's been raining nearly every day since.

Christmas Day, New Years Day, and this video are definitely close to together, but if you've been following there are reasons for that and that's it atypical. Still, if you're going to get offended by the next drone vide in in 20 days for February then simply skip the post and video. As previously noted, not much will change of the structure from its arial view as the drones can't fly inside the buildings.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    I hope they have some plan for future heavy rains. Catch basins and pumps if necessary. It's true the trees and shrubs that will be planted will take care of average rainfall, but Apple can afford to be prepared for the worst.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    I hope they have some plan for future heavy rains. Catch basins and pumps if necessary. It's true the trees and shrubs that will be planted will take care of average rainfall, but Apple can afford to be prepared for the worst.
    With 176 acres could Apple collect and filter enough water year-round to be hydro-neutral? I severely doubt it, even if they did plan for sink and shower water to then be mildly filtered and used for the toilets and urinals, and then for the rest to be processed into drinking water. Going solar is great, but water seems much harder to come by in CA.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Incredible site..... but are they really going to be able to move in end of q1??
  • Reply 16 of 22
    I'll chime in with my usual comment.

There better be one of those Discovery Channel shows chronicling the construction of this project. They do them for all sorts of interesting structures and this one surely qualifies. 
    radarthekatmacxpresspatchythepirate
  • Reply 17 of 22
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    JinTech said:
    Soli said:
    JinTech said:
    Like others have said, its going to get to the point to where you won't see much outside anymore because most of the work is inside. Once the landscaping is finished I don't think you'll see much of anything anymore unless someone can slip a drone inside this thing. 
  • Reply 18 of 22
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

I'll chime in with my usual comment.

There better be one of those Discovery Channel shows chronicling the construction of this project. They do them for all sorts of interesting structures and this one surely qualifies. 
    I would love to see this!
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Soli said:
    JinTech said:
    Soli said:
    JinTech said:
    Not wanting to see another video until April (your original statement) is perfectly fine, but it's ridiculous to read an article, watch a video, and the post in a forum to say how it sucks that so much hasn't changed since the first of the year video when you know it's been raining nearly every day since.

Christmas Day, New Years Day, and this video are definitely close to together, but if you've been following there are reasons for that and that's it atypical. Still, if you're going to get offended by the next drone vide in in 20 days for February then simply skip the post and video. As previously noted, not much will change of the structure from its arial view as the drones can't fly inside the buildings.
    Did I say it sucks or that I am offended? Please stop putting words in my mouth. I understand not much has changed on the exterior, hence my original post. 
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Soli said:
    JinTech said:

I'm looking forwarded to the inevitable timelapse video of the construction when it is complete!

Actually, though they do not have a camera shooting the construction 24/7 the past couple of years, I wonder if a timelapse video can be stitched together from multiple sources...