Apple's AirPods grabbed 26% of wireless headphone sales after launch, report claims

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    I LOVE my AirPods. It's interesting how the design was a bit jarring at first (just like regular headphones with the wires snipped off??), but when you think about the design it makes perfect sense. Also, a lot of 'normal' people are really intrigued by them and ask me about them regularly.  Another initially slightly jarring thing was realizing that the tap-to-siri is via accelerometer, and requires a significant tap relative to what we're used to with the capacitive iPhone; but of course, it makes sense to have it this way. The taking out one to pause works perfect and is so convenient.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 48
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    MplsP said:
    • Well, ugly is in the eye of the beholder, so it's impossible to argue that either way.
    • Ditto sound quality. Most reviews I've read say they sound slightly better than the stock ear buds that come with the iPhone. Some people say this is great. Other people claim it's only slightly better than an airsick cat. Everyone has to decide for themselves if they like the sound.
    • Most people say they stay in quite well. Some people can't walk across the room without them falling out. Human anatomy isn't consistent, so the fit of these won't be either. Again, you have to try them for yourself, but from what I've seen, they fit fairly well in the majority of people.
    • As far as being overpriced, I would agree with this as I wouldn't pay $170 for a set of headphones, but Apple can't keep them in stock, so if they are overpriced then there's a lot of people willing to pay too much for them and good luck convincing Apple to lower the price. The market will determine that.

Apple is definitely off to a good start with these but initial numbers like these can be misleading, especially with a product that is totally new and has new features like the AirPods. There's a lot of hype and buzz and a lot of the initial sales can be related to this. A better gauge will be sales over the coming year after things have settled down a bit. It will be interesting to see what happens going forward. I suspect a lot will also depend on how big the market is for completely wireless headphones selling at $170. My guess is that there will be more and more competition, and if Apple keeps the W1 technology proprietary then their market will be limited to iPhone users as I doubt most android users would be willing to pay a price premium for technology they can't take advantage of.

That's not the problem with these numbers ... the problem with these numbers is a pro-Apple research organization, formed specifically to track the Apple Watch sales, primarily from pro-Apple enthusiasts who opt into Slice's surveys.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    But what about the Apple-only cons? 

Its a small market so pct can change dramatically with a new player. 
  • Reply 24 of 48
    It's very nice but the global for in-ear headsets seems to be only about 8 billion dollars.

https://globenewswire.com/news-release/2016/06/15/848646/0/en/Earphone-and-Headphone-Market-size-worth-18-2-Billion-by-2023-Global-Market-Insights-Inc.html

So the US market is a subset of this global market and Apple has 25 percent. Nothing to scoff at but strictly an accessory.

The market for voice control (siri ...) is much bigger. Just saying.

• Reply 25 of 48
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    sog35 said:
    but,but,but,but

they ugly
    they will get lost
    sound quality is horrible
    they will fall out of your ear
    they are too expensive
    did i mention they ugly?

WRONG.

Dumb ass tech media is wrong again.
    What surprise.

Bought my Airpods and loving it. Tim cook totally nailed it.
    And you can't find them anywhere.
    Not sure if you're sarcastic but besides my pre order I bought a second pair in my local Apple Store at about 3pm the week after Christmas. 
    Not sarcastic. Was following his cadence, but they are hard to find, the current timeframe is 6 weeks but you might get lucky if you go into a local store. In other words, sales are lower than they could be because demand fr outweighs their ability to supply this new product.
  • Reply 26 of 48
    26%??

What happened to the other 74%???

Fire Cook immediately!

Steve is graving in his roll!!
    /s
    The other 74% is split between 25,473 Android headphones. So Android is winning.
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 27 of 48
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    danvm said:
    sog35 said:
    but,but,but,but

they ugly
    they will get lost
    they are too expensive
    did i mention they ugly?

WRONG.

What surprise.

They are ugly - Yes, they are.
    They will get lost - Yes, they are very small.  So it will happen.
    Sound quality is horrible - I haven't tried them yet, but most review agree that sound quality is similar, maybe a little better than earbuds.  So I suppose they sound bad.
    They will fall out of your ear - I suppose for many people, since they have no option for different sizes. 
    They are too expensive - Yes, they are.
    Did i mention they ugly? - Yes, already did.

So maybe media ir right.  Still, their opinions have no relation on how well or bad they sell.
    What nonsense. You need to get a pair, bro. 

They arent ugly.
    I haven't lost mine. (and do diamond earrings suck because they can be lost?)
    Sound quality is not horrible, it's pretty good. 
    They don't fall out of my ears. 
    They aren't too expensive (more than free?)
    They aren't ugly. 

See how opinions work? Only diff is, i've actually used a pair. With such a post i have to wonder if you even have an iphone. 
    I don't think that AirPods look that good, specially when people compare them to an electric tootbrush. 
    I didn't say that they suck because can get lost.  I just pointed out that the media was right when they point out they could get lost because of their size.
    Again, my comment was based in reviews I read in the internet.  To say that sound quality is similar to Earbuds is not something to be proud of. 
    Good for you that they don't fall.  But not everyone will have the same experience.  Jaybird and other brands have different sizes, which is a better option than a single size, like Apple did.
    Yes, at USD$169.00 they are expensive.
    See my first line. 

And yes, I have an iPhone 7. 

• Reply 28 of 48
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    And yet investors and analysts still failed to see the big picture here. They focused so much on the lack of what they could see (which they call it 'innovation') that they must feel mostly pessimist when it comes to Apple's future as opposed to Amazon for example. People generally forget that the current Apple will dominate any markets that they choose to enter. This is the power of brand. If Apple sold a smart mug, they would be sold out within minutes.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 48
    danvm said:
    sog35 said:
    but,but,but,but

they ugly
    they will get lost
    they are too expensive
    did i mention they ugly?

WRONG.

What surprise.

Sound quality is horrible - I haven't tried them yet, but most review agree that sound quality is similar, maybe a little better than earbuds.  So I suppose they sound bad.
    They will fall out of your ear - I suppose for many people, since they have no option for different sizes. 

So maybe media ir right.  Still, their opinions have no relation on how well or bad they sell.

Quite a lot of suppositions right there. You admit you haven't tried them. You are obviously biased against them. No one will assign any value to your opinion. You can have it though. Everyone is entitled to it (opinions, not the AirPods).
    Soliwatto_cobrabadmonk
  • Reply 30 of 48
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    kevin kee said:
    And yet investors and analysts still failed to see the big picture here. They focused so much on the lack of what they could see (which they call it 'innovation') that they must feel mostly pessimist when it comes to Apple's future as opposed to Amazon for example. People generally forget that the current Apple will dominate any markets that they choose to enter. This is the power of brand. If Apple sold a smart mug, they would be sold out within minutes.
    It's not the power of brand. It's the power of design, which includes how they work. They are one of the most satisfying things Apple has come up with.

They're also liberating. And practical. And worth the money. I could go on. 

But I agree that investors and analysts failed to see the big picture. These things will make earphones much more popular than they have ever been before.
    edited January 2017 StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 48
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    cali said:
    lkrupp said:
    sog35 said:
    but,but,but,but

they ugly
    they will get lost
    they are too expensive
    did i mention they ugly?

WRONG.

What surprise.

Dumb ass tech media? How about the dumb ass trolls and naysayers right here on AI?
    Or android users. I just had one tell me Airpods are only selling because they "come with the new iPhone". 

You cant make up android stupidity.

Probably the same guy who thought the Affordable Care Act was a competing program to Obamacare
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 48
    Still waiting for my pair. It will arrive in late February. So YES, all are sold out!!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 48
    cali said:
    I strongly opposed Apple removing the headphone jack but after seeing how it's playing out I think removing the jack was the smartest move Apple made last year.
    So would you say it took a little 'courage' from Apple?
  • Reply 34 of 48
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    danvm said:
    sog35 said:
    but,but,but,but

they ugly
    they will get lost
    they are too expensive
    did i mention they ugly?

WRONG.

What surprise.

Quite a lot of suppositions right there. You admit you haven't tried them. You are obviously biased against them. No one will assign any value to your opinion. You can have it though. Everyone is entitled to it (opinions, not the AirPods).

I'm looking forward to try them to see how they sound.  A part from that, I don't need to own them to see that they are ugly, they are small and can lost them easily, they may fall out of the ear, since they have no different sizes, and that they are expensive.

Regarding sound quality, the reviews points out that they sound similar to EarPods.  Do you agree with them?
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 35 of 48
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    redefiler said:
    cali said:
    I strongly opposed Apple removing the headphone jack but after seeing how it's playing out I think removing the jack was the smartest move Apple made last year.
    So would you say it took a little 'courage' from Apple?
    I would say it took a lot of courage, given how hard it must be to produce these things, how much hard work went into engineering them, and what a hard time people gave them for ditching the stupid jack.

edited January 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 48
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    wiggin said:
    I think the AirPods are pretty cool and will do very well, but I'd be very hesitant to draw too many conclusions based on two weeks of data following two months delay to the release and a little over a week before Xmas when people are scrambling to buy gifts. If the AirPods has been released on time, many of those orders would have been spread out over the past two months, not all concentrated the week before Xmas. And if you were giving wireless headphones as gifts and weren't planning on buying AirPods, you would have already purchased them before Dec 13th.

Since all of the numbers in the report are percentages, sales of non-AirPods tapering off because the purchase was already made and sales of AirPods artificially concentrated in a very short timeframe due to the delayed release...makes for a pretty misleading use of statistics.

Between the Beats brand (which Slice recognized as Apple owned if you read the whole report) and AirPods, Apple will dominate the market. But I really wouldn't get too excited about the "0-26% market share jump" as being anything but a one-time perfect storm of sales trends.
    Well, since they'll likely get what, 80-90% of the profits, as usual, do they need more really?
    They'll be ton of shlock $80-100 pure wireless options coming and I'm sure Apple will lose market share to that... And so what!
  • Reply 37 of 48
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    MplsP said:
    • Well, ugly is in the eye of the beholder, so it's impossible to argue that either way.
    • Ditto sound quality. Most reviews I've read say they sound slightly better than the stock ear buds that come with the iPhone. Some people say this is great. Other people claim it's only slightly better than an airsick cat. Everyone has to decide for themselves if they like the sound.
    • Most people say they stay in quite well. Some people can't walk across the room without them falling out. Human anatomy isn't consistent, so the fit of these won't be either. Again, you have to try them for yourself, but from what I've seen, they fit fairly well in the majority of people.
    • As far as being overpriced, I would agree with this as I wouldn't pay $170 for a set of headphones, but Apple can't keep them in stock, so if they are overpriced then there's a lot of people willing to pay too much for them and good luck convincing Apple to lower the price. The market will determine that.

Apple is definitely off to a good start with these but initial numbers like these can be misleading, especially with a product that is totally new and has new features like the AirPods. There's a lot of hype and buzz and a lot of the initial sales can be related to this. A better gauge will be sales over the coming year after things have settled down a bit. It will be interesting to see what happens going forward. I suspect a lot will also depend on how big the market is for completely wireless headphones selling at $170. My guess is that there will be more and more competition, and if Apple keeps the W1 technology proprietary then their market will be limited to iPhone users as I doubt most android users would be willing to pay a price premium for technology they can't take advantage of.

While it is "new", it's not new in the same way a smart watch was, people reviewing them was wondering if they were a solution in search of a problem.

In the case of Airpods, wireless BT headphones were on the rise rapidly, they're fullfilling a precise needs for the clients.
    That alone will make the sales curve a lot more like the Ipad than the Apple watch which was heavily loaded with early adopters.

Apple has the Beat wireless for the Android market and I'm sure they'll be competitive in that market.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 48
    danvm said:

Yesterday I had one airpod in the hand and desperately looking for the other..; slightly panicking as I couldn't find it on the table or on the floor or in the case or in my pockets.. 
    Until I scratched my ear in wonder and could feel it sit there.. it fitted so well I no longer noticed it was in my ear..

(to be honest, only happened once (so far)..  I am normally aware of their presence..)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 48
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    danvm said:
    danvm said:
    sog35 said:
    but,but,but,but

they ugly
    they will get lost
    they are too expensive
    did i mention they ugly?

WRONG.

What surprise.

What nonsense. You need to get a pair, bro. 

They arent ugly.
    I haven't lost mine. (and do diamond earrings suck because they can be lost?)
    Sound quality is not horrible, it's pretty good. 
    They don't fall out of my ears. 
    They aren't too expensive (more than free?)
    They aren't ugly. 

See how opinions work? Only diff is, i've actually used a pair. With such a post i have to wonder if you even have an iphone. 
    I don't think that AirPods look that good, specially when people compare them to an electric tootbrush. 
    I didn't say that they suck because can get lost.  I just pointed out that the media was right when they point out they could get lost because of their size.
    Again, my comment was based in reviews I read in the internet.  To say that sound quality is similar to Earbuds is not something to be proud of. 
    Good for you that they don't fall.  But not everyone will have the same experience.  Jaybird and other brands have different sizes, which is a better option than a single size, like Apple did.
    Yes, at USD$169.00 they are expensive.
    See my first line. 

And yes, I have an iPhone 7. 

They're 159, which is not as premium a price as Beats and others. 

I dont know WTF your electric toothbrush comment is even supposed to mean. 

Is the media right that earrings can also be lost? They're pretty small. 

Sound quality is pretty good. 

Pro tip: actually try a product before you try to review it. Reeks of less BS when you do it that way. 
    watto_cobrabadmonk
  • Reply 40 of 48
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member

alexmac said:
    Still waiting for my pair. It will arrive in late February. So YES, all are sold out!!
    Online orders, yes. But my store stocks them with their regular inventory deliveries. You may luck out.