Apple loses mechanical engineer responsible for original MacBook Air enclosure to Tesla

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,105member
    glynh said:
    Matt Casebolt, one of Apple's key hinge designers
    Fantastic...you just couldn't make up a name like that for a role like that! :)
    At work they called him "The King of Swing".
    holyone
  • Reply 42 of 51
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    If you take risks you will fail at some things and get lucky with others. If you can make people forget your failures and remember your successes you are on the right track. If your successes also happen at the right time, you get more points.

However, in addition to the above you also have to surround yourself with the right people and risk and timing come into play again.

Jobs had Avie, Jony, the two Freds etc and got lucky when it came to making people forget his failures.

Personally, I think much of what came to be at Apple was down to Avie. If there is an unsung hero here, it is him. His work was fundamental in laying the foundation of what came later.
  • Reply 43 of 51
    holyoneholyone Posts: 398member
    asdasd said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    asdasd said:
    flaneur said:
    williamh said:

Tesla CEO Elon Musk has dismissed reports of a brain-drain away from his company, and has called Apple the "Tesla Graveyard." Musk claims that Apple frequently hires engineers that "don't make it" an have been cast-off from the auto manufacturer.
    I'm afraid Musk may be right.  Jobs wasn't perfect but he was very competitive and took things personally. I think he'd try to hire the best Tesla people just to win. Musk isn't just trying to make money, he's playing to win.  Is Apple in the game? I love Apple stuff but I sold about 30% of my position yesterday. 
    "I'm afraid" is the operative phrase here.

People who are habitually negative about post-Jobs Apple have a daddy complex. Losing their authority figures is a nagging anxiety wired in from childhood abandonment traumas. Note the shift to authority worship of Elon Musk on the part of these "Jobs would have" people.

For details on this complex see The Mass Psychology of Fascism by Wilhelm Reich.
    So if any previous CEO is preferred in any company ever, this is an example of some kind of abandonment issues in childhood, and nascant fascist impulses?  Interesting theory. 
    Actually it makes perfect sense. Jobs is gone and these people simply hunt around and fixate on Musk  because he is more like Jobs than Cook is,  or wish Forstall would come back (probably because he went around dressed like Jobs). It's a cult of personalities. 

It's the sad pathetic way they say 'Steve wouldn't have done that' or 'I miss Steve' like they actually knew the bloke. Pretending you know what he would do won't make you a bette person. 

Yup, it makes perfect sense. 
    It's nonsense. Basically you and Flaneur are accusing anybody criticising Cook or comparing him unfavourably to Jobs as fascists. Fascists with abandonment issues to boot. I've criticised jobs' Apple and Cook's Apple, and complimented both. 

Funny enough I think it works the other way : there's an authoritarian ideology to opposing criticising the existing CEO similar to the way people reacted to the death of old communist leaders. New leader good. Old leader bad. 

Scott Forstall seems to be in the position of Trotsky when he fell from grace.  Despised by the remaining faithful despite bring liked when he was in the company. And clearly he's been silenced so that's kind of an airbrushing of history, with new histories crediting Fadell with the iPhone (but his version was rejected). 
    Very true Apple now to me feels like its ran by a group of very cheery holly-jolly friend going to camp trips and karaoke rather than the ensemble of the best in class most talented working people in SV, talent should always come befor personableness and should be retained or descarded based on results not frendship
  • Reply 44 of 51
    holyoneholyone Posts: 398member
    avon b7 said:
    If you take risks you will fail at some things and get lucky with others. If you can make people forget your failures and remember your successes you are on the right track. If your successes also happen at the right time, you get more points.

However, in addition to the above you also have to surround yourself with the right people and risk and timing come into play again.

Jobs had Avie, Jony, the two Freds etc and got lucky when it came to making people forget his failures.

Personally, I think much of what came to be at Apple was down to Avie. If there is an unsung hero here, it is him. His work was fundamental in laying the foundation of what came later.
    Don't forget the distortion field, very important, talent with out the right leadership is wasted and eventually leaves for greener fields
    baconstang
  • Reply 45 of 51
    holyone said:
    asdasd said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    asdasd said:
    flaneur said:
    williamh said:

Tesla CEO Elon Musk has dismissed reports of a brain-drain away from his company, and has called Apple the "Tesla Graveyard." Musk claims that Apple frequently hires engineers that "don't make it" an have been cast-off from the auto manufacturer.
    I'm afraid Musk may be right.  Jobs wasn't perfect but he was very competitive and took things personally. I think he'd try to hire the best Tesla people just to win. Musk isn't just trying to make money, he's playing to win.  Is Apple in the game? I love Apple stuff but I sold about 30% of my position yesterday. 

People who are habitually negative about post-Jobs Apple have a daddy complex. Losing their authority figures is a nagging anxiety wired in from childhood abandonment traumas. Note the shift to authority worship of Elon Musk on the part of these "Jobs would have" people.

For details on this complex see The Mass Psychology of Fascism by Wilhelm Reich.
    So if any previous CEO is preferred in any company ever, this is an example of some kind of abandonment issues in childhood, and nascant fascist impulses?  Interesting theory. 
    Actually it makes perfect sense. Jobs is gone and these people simply hunt around and fixate on Musk  because he is more like Jobs than Cook is,  or wish Forstall would come back (probably because he went around dressed like Jobs). It's a cult of personalities. 

It's the sad pathetic way they say 'Steve wouldn't have done that' or 'I miss Steve' like they actually knew the bloke. Pretending you know what he would do won't make you a bette person. 

It's nonsense. Basically you and Flaneur are accusing anybody criticising Cook or comparing him unfavourably to Jobs as fascists. Fascists with abandonment issues to boot. I've criticised jobs' Apple and Cook's Apple, and complimented both. 

Funny enough I think it works the other way : there's an authoritarian ideology to opposing criticising the existing CEO similar to the way people reacted to the death of old communist leaders. New leader good. Old leader bad. 

Scott Forstall seems to be in the position of Trotsky when he fell from grace.  Despised by the remaining faithful despite bring liked when he was in the company. And clearly he's been silenced so that's kind of an airbrushing of history, with new histories crediting Fadell with the iPhone (but his version was rejected). 
    Very true Apple now to me feels like its ran by a group of very cheery holly-jolly friend going to camp trips and karaoke rather than the ensemble of the best in class most talented working people in SV, talent should always come befor personableness and should be retained or descarded based on results not frendship
    Everyone in executive leadership with the exception of Angel Ahrendts was there when Jobs was around. In fact most were put in leasership positions by Jobs.
  • Reply 46 of 51
    Yesterday's comments very much beat the DOOM drum.
    I honestly don't understand which of the five posts prior to @lkrupp's complaint are considered "doom" themed. I just went back and looked again, and I really don't see it. I think he may be seeing enemies where none exist.

Or maybe my reading comprehension is poor. That's possible.

As are the tweet discussions I've read and comments on The Loop. 
    Maybe that was what he meant, because the comments here, up to the point of his complaint, didn't strike me as doomy.

And even on this thread one guy has already said he's selling his Apple stock.
    That comment came later in the thread, AFTER @lkrupp's remark. And he didn't say Apple is doomed, he said (1) he had a disproportionate amount of money invested there and (2) that he can realize greater growth elsewhere, so (3) he sold 30% of his Apple stock -- not all of it. One may hold the opinion that Apple is in a period of relative coasting or even decline without saying or meaning that it's time to board up the windows.

The quality of the discussions here has really improved over the last few months. The pointless insults that contribute nothing and discourage critical evaluation are on the decline, and there's been a lot more actual information about user experience being shared. I'd like to see that continue and not slide back to the nyah nyah poopy head stuff, that's all.

BTW, I consider you one of the good posters, even if/when I may not necessarily share your views.
    roundaboutnowavon b7
  • Reply 47 of 51
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    holyone said:
    avon b7 said:

Don't forget the distortion field, very important, talent with out the right leadership is wasted and eventually leaves for greener fields
    Yep. I used to look forward to the keynotes. Now, as soon as I see Tim Cook or Jony Ive on camera, I have a Red Bull to stop me falling asleep and missing the rest.
  • Reply 48 of 51
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    asdasd said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    asdasd said:
    flaneur said:
    williamh said:

No, I mean that the irrational and constant refrain that Apple has lost its way without Jobs is a cult of personality, and Elon Musk attracts the same cultists. They worry that the loss of the leader will emasculate the enterprise, and so they can't recognize that the leader assembled a team that operates under a philosophy or ideology that can sustain the project of the enterprise as long as the ideas are held in focus. 

The new MacBook Pros, the AirPods, the two-camera 7 Plus and its image processing are as good as anything Apple has ever done,, but the personality worshippers consistently fail to see this because they *a priori* believe that Tim Cook is not a product guy, therefore they doubt that Apple is producing as well as it was under Jobs. This is balony, as iKrupp says.

The most extreme form of personality worship can be found in Fascist societies, which is why Wilhelm Reich is the best guide to the origin of this authority or personality worship. (As a German psychiatrist, he witnessed and diagnosed the rise of Hitler.) But it also shows up in weaker forms, like the quasi- or proto-fascist thing we're just now living through in the Western "democracies," as the rug is pulled out from the masses who depend on the old order for their sense of security and self-worth. This loss turns them toward "strong men," populists and hucksters, personalties who will lead them back to security, in the case of the US, to the return of security in "making America great again."

The Steve Jobs or Elon Musk version of all this is a milder form of authority worship, but the origin is the same — people who can't see the power of ideas but instead place their faith in a leader. Reich found the roots of this character flaw in the authoritarian family.

Here's a counter example that illustrates the flaw of personality thinking: Ferdinand Porsche designs a small car for the masses that incorporates many novel solutions for driveability, economy, manufacturability and, it so happens, lovability. Hitler recognizes all this and he co-opts the car and makes it into a peoples' car, the Volkswagen, as a prize to the masses for their obedience to the Reich.

After the war, Hitler is dead and Porsche is imprisoned by the French as a war criminal. But the Volkswagen continues on under the British occupiers and then under Heinz Nordhoff, a former GM Opel executive. The car continues improving and it becomes the most popular car ever made across the world for 40 years, basically the same design. In other words, the ideas and the design were much more powerful than the leaders behind the inception of the car.

The reason all this is so long is that I'm trying to work this puzzle out for myself. The post-Jobs doom scenario is the most irritating formula that we see floated in these discussions, in my and many others' opinions. I think Jobs's ideas are far more powerful than he was as a personality, and apparently Cook and crew know this, thus the company's continuing monumental success across the world.

edited January 2017 propod
  • Reply 49 of 51

Does Apple gag new hires? Do we know how many people are jumping from Tesla to Apple? There was a story a year or so back right?

Maybe Apple is pulling a "Microsoft" on Tesla. Get employees to join Tesla and then destroy it from the inside!!

• Reply 50 of 51
    mazda 3s said:
    Maybe he can fix those Falcon Wing doors on the Model X :)
    The Falcon Wing Doors on my Model X work very well.  No fix required.