Google updates Maps on iOS with better ridesharing UI, end-to-end Uber integration

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2017
Google on Thursday updated its Maps apps for iOS and Android alike with a new, more in-depth ridesharing interface, including deeper integration with Uber that lets people hail a car without switching apps.

Instead of a simple list of fare options that takes over the screen, the new interface now keeps the map in view and displays options in a carousel, with tabs for supported ridesharing firms. The map can even display the current positions of cars to give a sense of how quick pickup will be.

The Uber integration requires that riders sign into an existing account, but can then handle an entire trip, including selecting a fare, and tracking and communicating with a driver. This works whether or not the Uber app is installed, and Google notes that Maps has the advantage of letting people check out details about their destination such as hours, photos, and any available menus.

Google didn't say whether other ridesharing services like Lyft will get the same treatment. Uber has typically been favored by Google, not the least because Google Ventures pumped $258 million into the company in 2013.

While some people may see the updates as soon as today, Google is conducting a gradual rollout.

The company may be paving the way for its sibling under Alphabet, Waymo, which could launch a ridesharing service by the end of 2017 -- possibly featuring self-driving cars.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Come on Apple.. catch up.....
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I'm thinking the same thing. It makes it hard to think of Apple making the pivot to being a services company. (I'm not the only one who thinks this.) The number of innovations elsewhere makes me think Apple keeps falling behind. Seems like a lot of missed opportunities on the services front.

Edit: grammar!
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 3 of 7
    The Uber app works well. While a bit more inconvenient than in a map app, it won't make that much of a difference. 

What would be nice would to simply say to Siri to price an Uber ride from one destination to another and then to fetch a ride if desired. 

Or just integrate Amazon's Alexa into iOS so that I could do such on the go. 
  • Reply 4 of 7
    mdossmdoss Posts: 40member
    Uber occasionally provides promo codes to enter in their app that gives people discounts on trips. I wonder of Google Maps (with or without Uber app being installed) can take advantage of such promo codes!

It would be nice if it did; then I could remove the Uber app since it asks for location services to be on "Always" or "Never" with no option for "While using the app".

Cheers
  • Reply 5 of 7
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Uber is a sack of shit company, I'll never use those morons.
    I'm thinking the same thing. It makes it hard to think of Apple making the pivot to being a services company. (I'm not the only one who thinks this.) The number of innovations elsewhere makes me think Apple keeps falling behind. Seems like a lot of missed opportunities on the services front.

Edit: grammar!
    Right... "innovation", that's part of Google core business, you know ads, and referring people to companies.

• Reply 6 of 7
    PlakitisPlakitis Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    What a shame Google DISCRIMINATES who can download Google maps - which countries can and cannot.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Plakitis said:
    What a shame Google DISCRIMINATES who can download Google maps - which countries can and cannot.
    which countries?