Apple boosts tvOS app size limit to 4GB

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2017
Apple on Thursday announced a change in App Store policy which increases the size limit of tvOS app bundles from 200 megabytes to 4 gigabytes, a boost that should provide a better end user experience upon initial installation.

With the increased data allowance, developers can include additional media in App Store submissions to offer users a more complete and rich experience out of the box, Apple says in a post to its developer webpage.

In addition to larger main bundle sizes, Apple notes tvOS apps are still able to use on-demand resources to host up to 20GB of additional content to the App Store. These on-demand assets are dynamically downloaded to a user's Apple TV in the background and subsequently erased when not needed.

The on-demand feature also lets developers remotely store rarely used resources like app tutorials, as well as content related to in-app purchases. Game levels, for example, would likely be hosted on demand from App Store servers.

Apple previously restricted tvOS app bundles to 200MB, with remaining assets supplied via on-demand resources, in an attempt to streamline downloads and save space on storage-constrained Apple TV set-top boxes. Fourth-generation Apple TV units currently max out at 64GB of onboard storage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    This change doesn't come without a cost. In addition to a "more complete and rich experience", it also encourages code bloat and reduces the number of installable applications.
    Solidoozydozentallest skil
  • Reply 2 of 49
    A 20x increase in size limit?

That's weird. And non-trivial. How often do you see something like that?
    qwweradoozydozen
  • Reply 3 of 49
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,258member
    zroger73 said:
    This change doesn't come without a cost. In addition to a "more complete and rich experience", it also encourages code bloat and reduces the number of installable applications.
    Dude. That would have to be some pretty bloaty code to take up 4GB. 

This is about assets, not code. 

The 200MB limit was stupid. This is long overdue. 

Apple could make the AppleTV a decent gaming console if they lifted half a finger. This change is lifting maybe 1/10th of a finger. 
    canukstormawilliams87Deelronqwweramike54doozydozendws-2rare commentanthony patton
  • Reply 4 of 49
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member

1) That's very atypical so I wonder if something else is up that we might be able to predict—perhaps with an upcoming Spring event.

2) Too bad we can't get a 20x increase in iCloud storage. Hell, I'd even settle for a 2x increase.
    anantksundaramqwweradoozydozenSpamSandwich
  • Reply 5 of 49
    Apple aren't new to introducing strict limits at launch that they loosen later. It teaches developers to the ideal size and level of optimisation expected of their apps and thus provides a great experience for new users at launch time. Now that the store is stable apple can carefully review these larger apps, and welcome the relatively few massive apps which require significantly more space to operate.
    Deelronpscooter63doozydozenwilliamlondonStrangeDays
  • Reply 6 of 49
    jSnivelyjSnively Posts: 429administrator
    This is great news for AppleTV Games.
    canukstormqwweradoozydozenfonsoSpamSandwich
  • Reply 7 of 49
    I would think the increase file size limit would definitely be a benefit for game developers for starters. 
    qwweradoozydozen
  • Reply 8 of 49
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Soli said:

1) That's very atypical so I wonder if something else is up that we might be able to predict—perhaps with an upcoming Spring event.

2) Too bad we can't get a 20x increase in iCloud storage. Hell, I'd even settle for a 2x increase.
    I hope they introduce an Apple TV without holding features.

A10x, M processor/3D Touch/Taptic Engine in Remote, new Kinect tech, FaceTime etc. 
    qwweradoozydozen
  • Reply 9 of 49
    How many GB are typical console games on Xbox, Playstation, etc.?

I'm wondering if this is setting the stage for Apple to target more high end games on ATV.
    qwweradoozydozenwilliamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 49

I'm wondering if this is setting the stage for Apple to target more high end games on ATV.
    ~40GB, double the size of the maximum bundle size allowed on tvOS
    edited January 2017 qwweradoozydozen
  • Reply 11 of 49
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator

Playstation 1, original xbox, Gamecube about 700MB
    Xbox 360, Playstation 2 and most of the PS3 library: 8GB
    Xbox one, Playstation 4: up to 80gb, but nothing's really hit that yet. Destiny with all the expansions is about 36GB.
    bestkeptsecretqwweradoozydozenwilliamlondonjSnivelyfirelock
  • Reply 12 of 49
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    zroger73 said:
    At some point you just need more code space.

Your other problem though is far bigger in my mind.   Apple TV simply doesn't have enough onboard storage to support such massive apps.
    qwweradoozydozenwilliamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 49
    blastdoor said:
    zroger73 said:

Apple could make the AppleTV a decent gaming console if they lifted half a finger. This change is lifting maybe 1/10th of a finger. 
    It does blows ones mind that Apple doesn't see the potential for games on such a device. Apple TV needs the fastest "A" series chip Apple can muster up along with support for an external storage device. I say external because not everybody needs or wants, a high performance gaming system.

I really think it is time for a reengineered Apple TV.
    qwweramike54doozydozen
  • Reply 14 of 49
    wizard69 said:
    zroger73 said:
    Your other problem though is far bigger in my mind.   Apple TV simply doesn't have enough onboard storage to support such massive apps.
    That tells me that the next generation will likely have more capacity and is likely in the pipeline for release in the not too distant future.
    qwweradoozydozenjkichline
  • Reply 15 of 49
    cali said:
    Soli said:

I hope they introduce an Apple TV without holding features.

A10x, M processor/3D Touch/Taptic Engine in Remote, new Kinect tech, FaceTime etc. 
    I'd love to see AppleTV get a little love.    Unfortunately I think it is the handle to the razor blade.
    qwweraking editor the grate
  • Reply 16 of 49
    Should've gotten myself a 64GB AppleTV instead of 32GB. Oh well.
    Mikeymikeqwweradoozydozen
  • Reply 17 of 49
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    wizard69 said:
    blastdoor said:
    zroger73 said:

It does blows ones mind that Apple doesn't see the potential for games on such a device. Apple TV needs the fastest "A" series chip Apple can muster up along with support for an external storage device. I say external because not everybody needs or wants, a high performance gaming system.

I love the idea of this. Put a Thunderbolt port on it too!
    qwwera
  • Reply 18 of 49
    hexclock said:
    wizard69 said:
    blastdoor said:
    zroger73 said:

I love the idea of this. Put a Thunderbolt port on it too!
    Can Apple include TB if they aren't using an Intel chip?
    qwweradoozydozen
  • Reply 19 of 49
    I'm amazed with how badly Apple has bungled the release of apps on the Apple TV. They could be eating Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony's lunch if they put in a bit of effort. (Or if they just bought Nintendo.
    qwweramike54doozydozenwilliamlondonrare comment
  • Reply 20 of 49
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member

Playstation 1, original xbox, Gamecube about 700MB
    Xbox 360, Playstation 2 and most of the PS3 library: 8GB
    Xbox one, Playstation 4: up to 80gb, but nothing's really hit that yet. Destiny with all the expansions is about 36GB.
    The new call of duty is 100GB
    edited January 2017 doozydozen