Star Wars: Rogue One

Posted:
in AppleOutsider
Wow! What a movie. This is the one I've been waiting for since Return of the Jedi.

I highly recommend it (and I'm going to see it at least another time in the theater). Saw it in 3D IMAX and it looked and sounded spectacular.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    jSnivelyjSnively Posts: 429administrator
    Waiting until next week to see it. Stupid holidays :(
  • Reply 2 of 11
    jSnively said:
    Waiting until next week to see it. Stupid holidays :(

Going again today! Now I get to look for all of those Easter eggs in the background... Another thing I loved was the new score by Michael Giacchino. Little nods to John Williams, but tons of new themes. 
  • Reply 3 of 11
    I'm super excited to go see it, I love me some space wizards. : D
  • Reply 4 of 11
    jSnively said:
    Did you get a chance to see the movie?
  • Reply 5 of 11
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I thought it was hugely disappointing.  Incoherent storytelling and characters, and some absolutely cringeworthy moments.

The acting and the second half action were pretty good, but everything else was on overload.  Too many characters, too many locations, too many cameos, too many pointless sequences, too many CGI characters, just plain too much.  It felt like they had two different story concepts, put the scripts for both of them in a blender and went with what came out.

And I think the attempt at the gritty "the rebels can be bad guys too" and the lengths they went to in order to make that clear was ill-suited to Star Wars, a children's film series (despite the elevated rating).
    tallest skilrandominternetperson
  • Reply 6 of 11
    jSnively said:
    Nope. I ended up getting distracted with holiday stuff. Then I flew home, worked for a week, and then got sick. At this point I think I will just wait until it comes out on iTunes or something, >: (

I have almost an entire season of Star Wars Rebels to catch up on still though, so that's somethin'
  • Reply 7 of 11
    jSnively said:
    jSnively said:
    Nope. I ended up getting distracted with holiday stuff. Then I flew home, worked for a week, and then got sick. At this point I think I will just wait until it comes out on iTunes or something, >: (

I have almost an entire season of Star Wars Rebels to catch up on still though, so that's somethin'
    If you have any remaining opportunity to see it in a theater, that's really where it shines. Glad to see you're a Star Wars fan, though.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    crowley said:
    I thought it was hugely disappointing.  Incoherent storytelling and characters, and some absolutely cringeworthy moments.

The acting and the second half action were pretty good, but everything else was on overload.  Too many characters, too many locations, too many cameos, too many pointless sequences, too many CGI characters, just plain too much.  It felt like they had two different story concepts, put the scripts for both of them in a blender and went with what came out.

And I think the attempt at the gritty "the rebels can be bad guys too" and the lengths they went to in order to make that clear was ill-suited to Star Wars, a children's film series (despite the elevated rating).
    It's almost as if the seven year olds in 1977 didn't age, right? There's no reason why the franchise has to be rooted in that market, the same way superhero movies don't have to cater to the same age.

R1 isn't the Hero's Journey, like E4, et cetera were. R1 is more like The Dirty Dozen which had the same character overload, multiple locations, and pointless sequences.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    crowley said:

It's almost as if the seven year olds in 1977 didn't age, right? There's no reason why the franchise has to be rooted in that market, the same way superhero movies don't have to cater to the same age.
    Sure, there's no reason it has to, but this particular attempt felt ill-fitting and stretching the point.  There's only so many times the film can hit you over the head with "the rebels aren't all good you know" before it gets a bit tedious and you stop rooting for them.

R1 isn't the Hero's Journey, like E4, et cetera were. R1 is more like The Dirty Dozen which had the same character overload, multiple locations, and pointless sequences.
    Other films having flaws isn't an excuse.
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    The point being, if you didn't like The Dirty Dozen, you probably won't like R1 either, nothing more :D

Each his own. I was entertained, and got to leave my modern-day irritations and craziness behind for two hours.