Apple's fourth beta of macOS Sierra 10.12.3 warns if display brightness affects MacBook ba...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    Speculation, sure: the premise is Cook wants the iPad to be the car which is all most people need. Particularly as Apple has no real competitor in the iPad market. But people love their SUV/desktop, and the flexibility and power of a truck for grunt work. But there is a lot of competition, so to steer people towards iPads you make a self fulfilling prophesy of, how did you put it? "Sales of desktops aren't growing" by having a stale, generationally behind line up of SUVs and Trucks. And constrain the power bit.
    elijahg
  • Reply 22 of 30
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,107member
    Geesh!  Nanny software.   Why not an alarm that warns you when the laptop is more than 36" above the floor?
  • Reply 23 of 30
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    @bryan3000000  But is that the optimal workflow for battery maintenance, to leave it constantly plugged in, instead of draining down and recharging it?  Should this approach change irrespective of whether it's plugged into an external monitor, keyboard, etc?
    Are you suggesting that one should unplug and drain the battery every time you reach 100%? In either situation, the answer is no. 
  • Reply 24 of 30
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Odd that I didn't see headlines in every news tech section regarding Consumer Reports altering their results to now recommending the MBP as I did see headlines in every news tech report that they didn't recommend the MBP.  
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 25 of 30
    I'm in front of a new Touchbar Macbook right now, and lemme tell you, we have definitely reached the point where full brightness is Too Goddamned Bright anywhere short of under direct sunlight.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    @bryan3000000  But is that the optimal workflow for battery maintenance, to leave it constantly plugged in, instead of draining down and recharging it?  Should this approach change irrespective of whether it's plugged into an external monitor, keyboard, etc?
    Are you suggesting that one should unplug and drain the battery every time you reach 100%? In either situation, the answer is no. 
    Apple used to recommend letting your battery drain down during the day because of some LI chemistry issues. They no longer mention that on their website as far as I can tell. They only say to discharge it to 50% if you plan to store it for a long period of time. Storing it with either full charge or completely dead can cause permanent damage to the battery. You only get around 1000 complete recharges so running it down and keeping it plugged in are about the same because when plugged in it is discharging maybe 1% then back up to 100%, over and over which will eventually end up equalling the 1000 complete discharge cycles. The best practice is still probably to let it drain down some during the day, but not all the way, which is pretty normal behavior anyway. Either way it shouldn't be an issue with today's modern battery properties.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    volcan said:
    Apple used to recommend letting your battery drain down during the day because of some LI chemistry issues. They no longer mention that on their website as far as I can tell. They only say to discharge it to 50% if you plan to store it for a long period of time. Storing it with either full charge or completely dead can cause permanent damage to the battery. You only get around 1000 complete recharges so running it down and keeping it plugged in are about the same because when plugged in it is discharging maybe 1% then back up to 100%, over and over which will eventually end up equalling the 1000 complete discharge cycles. The best practice is still probably to let it drain down some during the day, but not all the way, which is pretty normal behavior anyway. Either way it shouldn't be an issue with today's modern battery properties.
    A battery at 100% (I mean true 100% of actual capacity) and using it plugged in, is not good at all for the battery (So, I'm guessing batteries are in fact never really at 100% (the 100% being essentially set in software)); maybe 99% of actual capacity is stated as 100% by software and at the maximum it actually only trickle charges once in a while to keep it there according to use (not leaving the current continuously flowing).

Heat is much more damaging to the battery and reduces its useful life as it nears 100%. So, if you are doing heavy compute (say raytracing, large compiles, gaming), it would be better to do that while being unplugged until the computer reaches 30-50% and then plug it in again. That's particularly true if you're not in a climatized environment.

edited January 2017
  • Reply 28 of 30
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    foggyhill said:

Heat is much more damaging to the battery and reduces its useful life as it nears 100%. So, if you are doing heavy compute (say raytracing, large compiles, gaming), it would be better to do that while being unplugged until the computer reaches 30-50% and then plug it in again. That's particularly true if you're not in a climatized environment.
    During heavy computing the heat generated by the GPU, RAM and CPU are far greater than the heat generated by a trickle charger, so your comment does not make any sense from a heat perspective, although I agree that you should try to keep the internal temperature below 95 º F as Apple recommends to prevent battery damage.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    entropys said:
    Speculation, sure: the premise is Cook wants the iPad to be the car which is all most people need. Particularly as Apple has no real competitor in the iPad market. But people love their SUV/desktop, and the flexibility and power of a truck for grunt work. But there is a lot of competition, so to steer people towards iPads you make a self fulfilling prophesy of, how did you put it? "Sales of desktops aren't growing" by having a stale, generationally behind line up of SUVs and Trucks. And constrain the power bit.
    Apple can't create a self-fulfilling prophecy in the rest of the PC industry, which is what i was referring to. 

Also, the notion that they'd torpedo macs on purpose is absurd. patently. 
  • Reply 30 of 30
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    volcan said:
    foggyhill said:

During heavy computing the heat generated by the GPU, RAM and CPU are far greater than the heat generated by a trickle charger, so your comment does not make any sense from a heat perspective, although I agree that you should try to keep the internal temperature below 95 º F as Apple recommends to prevent battery damage.
    There is heat inside the case because of heavy processing, that's what I meant. It's not the trickle charger that's the main issue but running at 100% all the time is very bad with any heat.

Keeping the internals below 95 F if your running heavy processing and its for example over 85F outside the case is very hard (even improbable), so you should probably not charge in those conditions.

If its 70F, it's not as much an issue unless the fans fail.