Apple App Store prices increase 25% in UK, as result of 'Brexit' exchange rate drop

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    MacPro said:
    Have AI done away with the ability to block certain posters?  I just looked to add a few in this thread and can't find it.
    You can only block five, maybe you hit your limit?
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 22 of 35
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    MacPro said:
    Have AI done away with the ability to block certain posters?  I just looked to add a few in this thread and can't find it.
    If you click on the username, the profile page will show an "ignore" button on the upper right. 

On that note, the ignore function works better here than on ANY other forum i've frequented in the past twenty years. You actually don't see any of the ignored users' activity at all — except in the "recent threads" listing (which I always use), it will show if they've recently made the last post in a thread. And, of course, if they've been quoted. 

For example, I can't remember reading a post by tallest skil in AGES — I literally have no idea whether he still posts here or not.
    crowley
  • Reply 23 of 35
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member

avon b7 said:
    Plus, lets not forget that Brexit hasn't actually even happened yet. Once we sack off the EU off and all it's shitty regulations, watch the economy soar. You can hold me to this in three years time if you like.
    Which regulations are you referring too?
    Indeed, I'm curious, as well. 

And, presuming he finds any, I'd like to see the list of regulations that CAN be done away with if the UK still wants to trade at all with the EU — and it cannot afford not to.
    singularitycrowleyadmiral.ashik
  • Reply 24 of 35
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Hmm, GBP has been going up, the U.K. economy is doing better than it ever has been before Brexit, Dollar is falling and there is economical concern about the new President. If anything, this should make the cost go the other direction, but no.

Oh well, when it all gets back to normal, the prices will go down right...........
  • Reply 25 of 35
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    Thanks Trump
    How Trump has anything to do with it? He is not even sworn yet. For the record there is other president until January 19. Also statement that it is resulty of Brexit is blanket statement. Did you know that the same happened to Euro? Result of Brexit?
    It's a joke bro.

Insecure weeny man Trump wants credit for predicting Brexit, so he can take the flak too.
    Actually, from the standpoint of a US company exporting to the UK, it's not entirely a joke. Trump's election did result in an FX market reaction that appreciated the dollar substantially relative many currencies, so there was a GBP depreciation against then dollar independent of Brexit issues.

However, that USD appreciation was likely a result of the market becoming more confident about prospects for US growth under Trump, so that is not necessarily a bad thing (but not an unmixed blessing either, such as for Apple customers in then UK).
    Right now it's hurting the UK, but I think in time they'll be better off for doing it and the value will go back up while the EU currency tanks. Talking about insecure weeny people, the LEFT!!! Crying like little baby's and throwing a tantrum. It's pretty funny. While we've had 8 crap years of Obama. Obama who screwed up my health insurance big time. That had to pass it in the dead of night. Pass it to find out what's in it. which is laughable. Not a single Republican vote. Obama who're tripled down on most of what BUSH did. Where's Code Pink? They were up in arms at the bombs Bush was dropping, and yet with Obama, all I hear are crickets even though he's dropped a ton more and killed far more civilians. The left, only Tolerant when you agree with them. Otherwise, it's time for some violent Protesting.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 26 of 35
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    This would never have happened if Steve Jobs were still alive...
  • Reply 27 of 35
    Love Brexit, Love Trump. Love the fact that you regressive brainwashed fools are still crying about it. Your era is over.  Love the fact that UK companies can now be competitive on the world market now that the £ has devalued. I didn't give UK companies a look in because of the strength of the £ until now. Every cloud has a silver lining.
    only those very few UK companies that source everything from within the UK. I work for a engineering firm and although we export 100% of our finished products (mostly to USA/Africa/Asia), all of our suppliers have put their prices up considerably. Our suppliers are mostly UK based but the base product more often than not comes from outside the UK (raw steel, heavy-duty bearings, high-pressure pipework etc. etc. things not made in the UK). So although our price looks lower to our American customers, our price has to be pushed up to cover our increased costs, negating any saving.

The same thing applies to car manufacturers etc. the average dumb person thinks a Jaguar or Rolls Royce may cost less now but doesn't realise most of the components in those cars will cost more to import, pushing the price up not only for export but for the home market too, so nobody wins.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    I didn't give UK companies a look in because of the strength of the £ until now. Every cloud has a silver lining.
    You live in the UK. How did the value of sterling have any influence on using UK companies? 
  • Reply 29 of 35
    Plus, lets not forget that Brexit hasn't actually even happened yet. Once we sack off the EU off and all it's shitty regulations, watch the economy soar. You can hold me to this in three years time if you like.

And, however unlikely it might be, may not happen.  It was a non-binding resolution, after all, and Parliament could say "screw it."

As for how likely such an outcome actually is, I have no basis on which to opine.

crowley
  • Reply 30 of 35
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Talking fulll on BS here buddy; pulling things straight out of your ass.
    crowleynhtsingularity
  • Reply 31 of 35
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    Apple is simply adjusting its prices due to changing market conditions that have increased its cost of doing business in certain countries. Whatever external factors in affected countries are causing these changes to Apple's cost of doing business is totally outside of Apple's control. Quit trying to drag Apple into these political stink holes that it has absolutely no control over. Apple is a business, plain and simple. If its costs go up either it loses money or passes along the increased costs to its customers. End of story. 
  • Reply 32 of 35
    wozwoz said:
    On the same day that the pound appreciates markedly against the US$
    It went DOWN almost 20 cents following the Brexit vote - it was a $1.49 and now it's at $1.22 . . . . the pound went up 3 cents on tuesday and it's already gone back down 1.5 cents
  • Reply 33 of 35

I think it will take longer than three years, but once all the dust settles, the UK will be way better off. 
    It will take a least a decade and it's nothing but guesswork to say what happens after that
  • Reply 34 of 35

avon b7 said:
    Which regulations are you referring too?
    The ones that protect workers rights, clean air and the enviroment, human rights - yes things like that
    singularity
  • Reply 35 of 35
    frankiefrankie Posts: 381member

frankie said:
    The conservative baby boomers that have been screwing up the planet for decades across all countries need to go.
    LOL. Are there Baby Boomers in Britain?
    Of course there are, it's generational.  I don't even understand your comment.  The good news is the younger generations coming up are much more progressive.