Google struggling to meet consumer demand for iPhone 7 rival Pixel

Comments

• Reply 21 of 101
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    mike1 said:
    I would imagine that Samsung's difficulties would benefit Pixel sales amongst Android loyalists.
    Good point. They should benefit more than Apple anyway. 
  • Reply 22 of 101
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    tzeshan said:

I have two co-workers who switched from their iPhones to the Pixel, and they like it.

One of them misses the cohesiveness of iOS but still likes his Pixel. Google seems to be bending backwards to give their customers a good support.

Fyi, the Pixel is manufactured by LG.

Fake news?  If true, Google has been lying since the beginning.  The Pixel is actually specified by Google, designed by HTC, manufactured by LG. 
    Specified by Google, manufactured by HTC. LG has nothing to do with this version. The Nexus 5X was LG's.
    edited January 2017 pscooter63gatorguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 101
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Rayz2016 said:
    maestro64 said:

That is because Google is using most of the same suppliers as every other cellphone company including Apple and they are on the bottom of the priority list to get parts during constrain supply situation like exist right now. Plus apple has invested in manufacturing capacities at their suppliers so they get first priority on parts. This is what happens when you have Software/Ad company trying to get into the hardware business and does not understand the challenges of the supply chains.

Sold out is code with they do not have supply it does not mean people are actually buying it like crazy.

This is true.  

Though I don't believe they are deliberately constraining supply, being sold out could mean your popular, or it could mean you can't make enough for the very few who want to buy it.  

In in the end, sales is what counts. 

People around here would do well to remember this when it comes to the reports about the iPhone.

gatorguy said:
    I'm quite surprised that it's selling somewhat well for a first release, particularly one that wasn't what Google had actually planned to do and at a relatively high iPhone-like price for all versions. A similar story at another site showed the Pixel making up 8% of Verizon's new smartphone activations. 
    You're falling into the same trap, which surprises me about you. Just because the phone sells out doesn't necessarily mean it's selling well. Just like the iPhone. Higher activations, could mean lower activations overall. You'd need data across all providers to know if this is a consistent sales pattern, or just a promotion at Verizon, while higher end customers are chasing other carriers, for instance.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 101
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    tzeshan said:

I have two co-workers who switched from their iPhones to the Pixel, and they like it.

One of them misses the cohesiveness of iOS but still likes his Pixel. Google seems to be bending backwards to give their customers a good support.

Fyi, the Pixel is manufactured by LG.

Fake news?  If true, Google has been lying since the beginning.  The Pixel is actually specified by Google, designed by HTC, manufactured by LG. 

I can not tell you how many people still believe that Google did everything on this phone except the manufacturing. Google does not have the necessary design engineers to make a phone in house. They put a spec together then work with HTC to do all the design and engineer required to make the phone. HTC is not a contact manufacturer like a Foxconn, HTC was always a design house they take a product spec and create a product from the spec then manufacture it.

This is why all Google hardware has failed which they tried to design in house. Designing hardware is not easy and all the testing and such that has to be done requires things which Google has not invested in. They think the whole garage idea is good enough and they can fix hardware in software. They do not understand you only get one chance to make the hardware work correctly, if you do not do that right you have the Samsung experience, but Samsung did try fixing the burning batteries with software and failed.

edited January 2017 patchythepiratelostkiwicalipscooter63radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 101
    thedbathedba Posts: 764member
    For all the crap that Apple fans get from the Android crowd, the Pixel seems like it is attracting buyers who simply want a Google product, regardless of the fact that it looks like the iPhone and is lacking many of the features of the iPhone and many other Android competitors.  
    ....and that fingerprint sensor on the back? I really can't see myself ever using something like Apple Pay if the sensor was on the back. 
    patchythepiratelostkiwicalipscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 101
    tzeshan said:
    I ask Siri how heavy iPhone 7 Plus is.  It refers me to Apple.com.  I asked again what is the weight of iPhone 7 Plus.  It refers me to Apple.com again. Apparently Siri can only do keyword search but it can not understand a sentence. This is really primitive R&D engineering using grep.  No artificial intelligence. 
    Mmmm. Not so sure. 

🤔 

I think Siri understands the question just fine, but rather than parse and give you a single answer, Apple would much rather you go to the website and get the whole story. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 101
    thedba said:
    For all the crap that Apple fans get from the Android crowd, the Pixel seems like it is attracting buyers who simply want a Google product, regardless of the fact that it looks like the iPhone and is lacking many of the features of the iPhone and many other Android competitors.  
    ....and that fingerprint sensor on the back? I really can't see myself ever using something like Apple Pay if the sensor was on the back. 
    It's on the back? Why did they put it there?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 101
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Rayz2016 said:
    tzeshan said:
    I ask Siri how heavy iPhone 7 Plus is.  It refers me to Apple.com.  I asked again what is the weight of iPhone 7 Plus.  It refers me to Apple.com again. Apparently Siri can only do keyword search but it can not understand a sentence. This is really primitive R&D engineering using grep.  No artificial intelligence. 
    Mmmm. Not so sure. 

🤔 

I think Siri understands the question just fine, but rather than parse and give you a single answer, Apple would much rather you go to the website and get the whole story. 

You are joking, right?  I know to go to Apple.com to get the answer.  I ask Siri because I don't want to waste time to do so. 
    patchythepiraterf9
  • Reply 29 of 101
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Rayz2016 said:
    thedba said:
    Its not copying Apple if its on the back! :wink: 
    calipscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 101
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    macxpress said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    thedba said:
    Its not copying Apple if its on the back! :wink: 
    Because HTC has designed that way in some of its own labeled phones. 
  • Reply 31 of 101
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    gatorguy said:
    Most people aren't hard fans of any particular platform. They simply want a smartphone in a size they like. with a display that looks the way they think it should, with features they think they'll use and a a price that meets their budget.. Most are not worthy of being tagged with an insulting name simply because they didn't make the same choice you or someone else made. 
    Completely disagree.  Apple fans are extremely loyal.  Reputation means something.  Brand loyalty is a real thing. 
    calipscooter63StrangeDaysjcs2305watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 101
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    mike1 said:
    I would imagine that Samsung's difficulties would benefit Pixel sales amongst Android loyalists.
    The Pixel is just another in a long line of iPhone “killers” to come along. So-called Android loyalists are looking for the next White Knight in Shining Armor to slay the Apple dragon now that Samsung’s brand is tarnished. A lot of Fandroids have been unhappy with Samsung’s relentless chase to be more like Apple, that is, in terms of sealed batteries, ports, SD slots, etc. There is no reason to believe that the Pixel will fare any better than the Nexus did in terms of market share but the hype is there nonetheless.
    Most people aren't hard fans of any particular platform. They simply want a smartphone in a size they like. with a display that looks the way they think it should, with features they think they'll use and a a price that meets their budget.. Most are not worthy of being tagged with an insulting name simply because they didn't make the same choice you or someone else made. 
    But he wasn't talking about "most people," he was talking about Android loyalists, aka Fandroids. Is that an insulting name, like iSheep?

Insofar as they are Apple haters, they are worthy of worse names than Fandroids, but I don't see lkrupp using such. At least this time. 
    patchythepiratepscooter63StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 101
    frankiefrankie Posts: 381member
    Gotta admit it's pretty sad how much this looks like an iphone
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 101

tzeshan said:
    So? Why do you guys screw around with such stupid question like this? Siri is fine for now doing the crucial things like calls, text and directions. Apple doesn't prioritize doing trivial stuff to amuse its egocentric, spoiled users.
    fracmike1pscooter63StrangeDaysradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 101
    tzeshan said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    tzeshan said:
    Mmmm. Not so sure. 

ߤ䦡mp;nbsp;

You are joking, right?  I know to go to Apple.com to get the answer.  I ask Siri because I don't want to waste time to do so. 
    Nope, not joking.  That is a dead easy question to parse and direct to any old iPhone review for the answer. Any question about any Apple product goes to exactly the same place: the Apple website. Of course it's deliberate, and has nothing to do with Siri's understanding of the question and everything to do with where Apple wants you to go when it correctly parses the question. 

edited January 2017 pscooter63radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 101
    frankie said:
    Gotta admit it's pretty sad how much this looks like an iphone
    The cheapest way to give themselves the best shot at success. 
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 101
    Rayz2016 said:
    tzeshan said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    tzeshan said:
    Mmmm. Not so sure. 

ߤ䦡mp;nbsp;

Nope, not joking.  That is a dead easy question to parse and direct to any old iPhone review for the answer. Any question about any Apple product goes to exactly the same place: the Apple website. Of course it's deliberate, and has nothing to do with Siri's understanding of the question and everything to do with where Apple wants you to go when it correctly parses the question. 

I like this answer better than mine above. 
  • Reply 38 of 101
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    The Macalope is going to be all over this news. I can see it now: "Google can't keep up with Pixel demand and that's good but Apple can't keep up with iPhone demand and that's bad."
    caliStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 101
    cali said:
    When iHaters call this "a BEAUTIFUL phone" it gets to be like nothing else. I have a big pet peeve for ignorant people.

If this iKnockoff steals scraps from other droids, why don't they give up and start developing technologies for Apple? At least they'll make some sort of profit.

Then again, Apple probably doesn't want them because really, what do they offer?
    Do you mean Google should develop for Apple? Or the other android manufacturers? They do already - Youtube, Maps and Gmail are some of the biggest apps on iOS. Sony, Samsung, LG, and TCL all make components for Apple. 
  • Reply 40 of 101
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Rayz2016 said:
    tzeshan said:
    Mmmm. Not so sure. 

Many times you need to rephrase your question. If you ask Siri how many grams is the iPhone 7, Siri will find the answer, albeit using Bing Search, but a few results down the page is the exact weight from a Mac Rumors article. I tried asking Google App for the weight of the Pixel and it did the exact same thing as Siri - it referred me to the official Pixel page.
    edited January 2017 caliStrangeDaysroundaboutnowradarthekatwatto_cobra