Apple TV, iPhone, iPad gain ability to play Netflix movies directly in TV app

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    boredumb said:
    [...] And, that rented vids could all be watched from either ATV or my computer, regardless of which 'device' I'd rented them on...
    RIGHT?! It's crazy that if I rent a movie via my laptop I can't watch it through the Apple TV, and if I rent it through the Apple TV I can't watch it on the iPad or Macs! Why viewing is restricted to ONLY the device used to click "gimme" escapes me.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    MacPro said:
    I must be missing something.  Netflix already plays on my Apple Tv and allows multiple users all to start where they left off...  what's different using it in the TV app?
    It's not about resuming, it's about showing up in the new TV app on the Apple TV (and iphone and ipad). this TV app manages the state for your progress in content regardless of source provider, by suggesting the next episode, new episodes that are now available, etc. It's like a homescreen for what you're watching across all the apps, without having to navigate to the various provider apps. 

It's pretty slick, but not all the providers support it yet. For this reason I've disabled it as the home-button landing screen and reverted the button to the normal homescreen behavior.
    Ok thanks for the explanation.  Given the Netflix app as is does everything I want superbly (especially the who is watching interface as well as continuation from where left off across devices) and we don't use any other providers or apps it seems I am all set and have no use for this aggregator app.  We do use Amazon Prime also but of course there is no app for the Apple TV for that so I bought a FireStick which unfortunately requires changing HDMI input every time a switch is required, but there is no way around that I am aware of.  I guess the only other use we have is the very occasional use of CNNgo but that is a real pain as it asks for re-authenticating every few days.  Does the TV app solve this?
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 23 of 33
    LOVING THIS! The new TV app is way better than the previous Video app. I like it a lot, especially the Watch Next feature.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    boredumb said:
    [...] And, that rented vids could all be watched from either ATV or my computer, regardless of which 'device' I'd rented them on...
    RIGHT?! It's crazy that if I rent a movie via my laptop I can't watch it through the Apple TV, and if I rent it through the Apple TV I can't watch it on the iPad or Macs! Why viewing is restricted to ONLY the device used to click "gimme" escapes me.
    Clearly Apple has the ability to do this, so I don't think it's a stretch to assume the rental limitations are from the content owners (studios). The same people who insist you only get 24 hours to complete a viewing.

But yes, lets blame Apple for this failing as well. As blame must lay at the feet of Apple, because Tim Cook.
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 25 of 33
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member

MacPro said:
    MacPro said:
    I must be missing something.  Netflix already plays on my Apple Tv and allows multiple users all to start where they left off...  what's different using it in the TV app?
    It's not about resuming, it's about showing up in the new TV app on the Apple TV (and iphone and ipad). this TV app manages the state for your progress in content regardless of source provider, by suggesting the next episode, new episodes that are now available, etc. It's like a homescreen for what you're watching across all the apps, without having to navigate to the various provider apps. 

It's pretty slick, but not all the providers support it yet. For this reason I've disabled it as the home-button landing screen and reverted the button to the normal homescreen behavior.
    Ok thanks for the explanation.  Given the Netflix app as is does everything I want superbly (especially the who is watching interface as well as continuation from where left off across devices) and we don't use any other providers or apps it seems I am all set and have no use for this aggregator app.  We do use Amazon Prime also but of course there is no app for the Apple TV for that so I bought a FireStick which unfortunately requires changing HDMI input every time a switch is required, but there is no way around that I am aware of.  I guess the only other use we have is the very occasional use of CNNgo but that is a real pain as it asks for re-authenticating every few days.  Does the TV app solve this?
    No, the TV app cannot solve Amazon's hate for its customers and failure to produce an app for the platform. Only Jef Bezos can fix that, but he's decided not to align himself with the needs of his customers. Ooooh but Alexa.... >roll eyes<    (not directed at you)
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 26 of 33

MacPro said:
    MacPro said:

No, the TV app cannot solve Amazon's hate for its customers and failure to produce an app for the platform. Only Jef Bezos can fix that, but he's decided not to align himself with the needs of his customers. Ooooh but Alexa.... >roll eyes<    (not directed at you)
    Ha ha, roll eyes indeed ... but  yes I knew that but it's hard to hate Amazon's shopping services, I couldn't live without Amazon now any more than I could Apple. Although there are times I hate Amazon for suggesting all the extra Canon camera equipment I DO WANT!!!  ;)    I my last question was re CNNgo not HDMI switching though. 
  • Reply 27 of 33
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    boredumb said:
    Seems rather contrary to the spirit of Steve's 'grand vision', doesn't it?
  • Reply 28 of 33
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    What is this "TV app" you are all speaking of?

-
    Sincerely,

Canada
  • Reply 29 of 33
    techno said:
    What is this "TV app" you are all speaking of?

-
    Sincerely,

Canada
    It's automatically installed on the latest Apple TVs when you are updated to the latest TV OS.  It is an aggregator of apps you use with added functions I gather, but I have yet to try it and see its benefits as per my posts above.
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 30 of 33
    boredumb said:
    boredumb said:
    Jobs doesn't hold the media rental rights licensed by the content owners. Hollywood's rules. 
  • Reply 31 of 33
    boredumb said:
    Clearly Apple has the ability to do this, so I don't think it's a stretch to assume the rental limitations are from the content owners (studios). The same people who insist you only get 24 hours to complete a viewing.

But yes, lets blame Apple for this failing as well. As blame must lay at the feet of Apple, because Tim Cook.
    Actually, you'll note that I didn't assign blame. I don't really care who's responsible. Who does what is outside my scope as the end user/consumer.

We can speculate about why the multi-device model doesn't extend to rentals, but we don't have any more grounds to blame studios than we do Apple, since we really don't know why the restriction exists. It may be a technical obstacle relating to having a title that "expires," it may be a licensing issue, or there could be some other cause neither of us has thought of.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    boredumb said:
    boredumb said:
    Jobs doesn't hold the media rental rights licensed by the content owners. Hollywood's rules. 
    Thanks, but I'm referring to his vision of "all of one's content on all of one's devices",
    an idea he was conveying over 20 years ago (and I know he wasn't the only one).
    In this case, since I CAN watch these media on any device (via Airplay, for instance), I don't see why it should matter which one
    I rented it on - it's simply the convenience factor.  
    I think this is more to do with how Apple manages its cloud access.