Google struggling to meet consumer demand for iPhone 7 rival Pixel

Comments

• Reply 61 of 101
    tzeshan said:

tzeshan said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    tzeshan said:
    I ask Siri how heavy iPhone 7 Plus is.  It refers me to Apple.com.  I asked again what is the weight of iPhone 7 Plus.  It refers me to Apple.com again. Apparently Siri can only do keyword search but it can not understand a sentence. This is really primitive R&D engineering using grep.  No artificial intelligence. 
    Mmmm. Not so sure. 

🤔 

I think Siri understands the question just fine, but rather than parse and give you a single answer, Apple would much rather you go to the website and get the whole story. 

You are joking, right?  I know to go to Apple.com to get the answer.  I ask Siri because I don't want to waste time to do so. 
    They haven't programmed the Siri databases with the answers to anything and everything. Perhaps specs on the iPhone should be something they have, but since that's likely not a popular request they haven't.
    I asked Siri how heavy a car model is.  It gives me an answer.
    What, you're expecting them to code answer paths to every random car's specs? Not in this decade. 
  • Reply 62 of 101
    The Pixel is a clean looking design, so of course it is going to look like an iPhone. If this is the look they are going for, it is inevitable--so too bad for them :p .

But I have to say, the Pixel looks and feels to me a lot thicker in real life than the iPhone. I don't care a huge amount about having the thinnest of the thin device (iPhone 6 here), but I guess I'm spoiled now. Now that phones are as big as they are, every fraction of an inch in thickness seems to matter more.
    Ah, so now it's "inevitable" that android clones look exactly like iphones, complete with chin for the nonexistent touch id. riiiight. 
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 63 of 101
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    k2kw said:
    tzeshan said:

I have two co-workers who switched from their iPhones to the Pixel, and they like it.

One of them misses the cohesiveness of iOS but still likes his Pixel. Google seems to be bending backwards to give their customers a good support.

Fyi, the Pixel is manufactured by LG.

Fake news?  If true, Google has been lying since the beginning.  The Pixel is actually specified by Google, designed by HTC, manufactured by LG. 
    Specified by Google, manufactured by HTC. LG has nothing to do with this version. The Nexus 5X was LG's.
    Who supplied the Pixel screen.   Probably not Samsung because it's not OLED.  And it's not as good as Apple7.
    AFAIK it is OLED. What made you believe it isn't? 
  • Reply 64 of 101
    jbdragon said:
    So Google makes what is basically a iPhone CLONE. Prices it like a iPhone. They want to actually make a profit, something they couldn't do with their so called NEXUS phones, which this is still really a NEXUS phone, but slap on a Pixel Name and charge more money. I had though Google didn't want to get involved in hardware. They could have kept Motorola Mobility for that, yet they sold it off. These Pixel (Really NEXUS Phones made by LG, so same old, same old) give Google a unfair advantage over everyone else. They're trying to be Microsoft now. MS making Surface Computers, so here's Google with the Pixel. All the while Android has been basically marketed as the CHEAP phones!!! It's been a race to the bottom and Android for the most part has become a Commodity. Most Android phones sold are low end to mid range. With very slim profit margins. Keep in mind Apple is making around 95% of the Smartphone profits with Samesung making most of the rest, which leaves slim pickings for everyone else, which is better then those that are losing money. I really don't see how Google could be selling all that many. They can't keep supplies in stock and it's only in the Verizon Stores? I don't see how they could really be selling all that many just because of the price of these so called first generation Google Phones as Google is trying to make them out to be, even though it's just a new Nexus Phone made by LG. Call it whatever you want Google, doesn't change anything. The flat out copying of the iPhone. Move the touch sensor from the dumb back to the bottom front and it couldn't be any more of a clone. No button there but still large bezel like the iPhone. DUMB!!! If Android is your thing and you want to see updates in a reasonable amount of time, what choice do you have?
    Three things:
    - It is not an LG phone.
    - Second it is not the phone Google had planned to build. When Huawei backed out they had to scramble to a second source which was HTC
    - Third if you try a phone with a rear fingerprint sensor for a couple of days it will clearer to you why that's the preferred placement for some folks.  It's a natural landing spot for a finger when you pick up your phone, and allows for easy one-handed unlock too. A sensor on the front is also perfectly acceptable of course and is convenient if your phone is laying face-up on a table/desk. So neither location is "dumb".
  • Reply 65 of 101
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    A lot of Fandroids have been unhappy with Samsung’s relentless chase to be more like Apple, that is, in terms of sealed batteries, ports, SD slots, etc. There is no reason to believe that the Pixel will fare any better than the Nexus did in terms of market share but the hype is there nonetheless.
    Most people aren't hard fans of any particular platform. They simply want a smartphone in a size they like. with a display that looks the way they think it should, with features they think they'll use and a a price that meets their budget.. Most are not worthy of being tagged with an insulting name simply because they didn't make the same choice you or someone else made. 
    Most iPhone users are not worthy of being called "iSheep" simply because they aren't tech savvy enough to worship at the altar of Specs and Benchmarks. They simply want the best smartphone that's easy to use, runs great apps, has a safe App Store, and is free of viruses and onerous privacy terms.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 66 of 101
    Rayz2016 said:
    tzeshan said:
    I ask Siri how heavy iPhone 7 Plus is.  It refers me to Apple.com.  I asked again what is the weight of iPhone 7 Plus.  It refers me to Apple.com again. Apparently Siri can only do keyword search but it can not understand a sentence. This is really primitive R&D engineering using grep.  No artificial intelligence. 
    Mmmm. Not so sure. 

🤔 

I think Siri understands the question just fine, but rather than parse and give you a single answer, Apple would much rather you go to the website and get the whole story. 

I don't share your optimistic view. Yesterday I tried Siri on my new MacBook Pro, asking it to play songs that I could see on the screen in front of me (iTunes was open). Every request resulted in "Sorry, I can't find that." The transcriptions of my requests were correct, so it wasn't a speech recognition issue.

I finally just asked it play something by the Rolling Stones. That time it actually played something! Unfortunately the "something" was the theme song from "The Brady Bunch." I couldn't even make up stories about Siri that are as weird as it is in real life.
  • Reply 67 of 101
    The headline should read - Google sells fewer phones in US than Apple iPhone SE.

If you look at Kantarworld data ending in November - they state Pixel has 1.5% of the US market, Apple has 43.5% market share.  

If you look at Consumer Intelligence Research Partner data - the iPhone SE has about 7% of the Apple iPhone US sales which is about 3% of the overall market share.
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 68 of 101
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    I like how the media spin this story off: If Apple had supply constraint, it's part of their marketing strategy to limit the production. If Google had supply constraint, it's due to their popularity and they couldn't make enough of them. While maintaining this same story, they blatantly ignore the sale numbers which tell the opposite story.
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 69 of 101
    Why is the Pixel considered an iPhone 7 rival? It's an Android smartphone and I would think most rivals would be other Android smartphones in that same price range. I would think that many older Nexus smartphone users upgrading that's driving Pixel sales. I find it unlikely there are going to be a lot of iPhone switchers buying Pixel smartphones especially if the supply is limited. Switching OS platforms isn't all that trivial. Does the Pixel really offer all that much for such a hassle? There are plenty of flagship Android smartphones like the Galaxy S7 and all the dozens of low-cost Chinese-branded smartphones the Pixel will be competing with and I would think the iPhone 7 would be low on the list of being seen as a rival.
    edited January 2017 radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 70 of 101
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    tzeshan said:
    You misunderstood Siri. It was never meant to be your alternative google, yes it can search online, but that's not her main purpose. She is there to assist you with most of the phone 'physical' functions: taking a call, read your message, play a music, etc., not merely doing what Google does: dummy searching (and searching online is definitely far from artificial intelligence).
  • Reply 71 of 101
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    A lot of Fandroids have been unhappy with Samsung’s relentless chase to be more like Apple, that is, in terms of sealed batteries, ports, SD slots, etc. There is no reason to believe that the Pixel will fare any better than the Nexus did in terms of market share but the hype is there nonetheless.
    Most people aren't hard fans of any particular platform. They simply want a smartphone in a size they like. with a display that looks the way they think it should, with features they think they'll use and a a price that meets their budget.. Most are not worthy of being tagged with an insulting name simply because they didn't make the same choice you or someone else made. 
    Most iPhone users are not worthy of being called "iSheep" simply because they aren't tech savvy enough to worship at the altar of Specs and Benchmarks. They simply want the best smartphone that's easy to use, runs great apps, has a safe App Store, and is free of viruses and onerous privacy terms.
    Absolutely correct sire, we agree 100%. Name-calling because someone makes a different choice of a product is pretty silly , huh? 
  • Reply 72 of 101
    The headline should read - Google sells fewer phones in US than Apple iPhone SE.

If you look at Kantarworld data ending in November - they state Pixel has 1.5% of the US market, Apple has 43.5% market share.  

If you look at Consumer Intelligence Research Partner data - the iPhone SE has about 7% of the Apple iPhone US sales which is about 3% of the overall market share.
    Nice find. That Google's Pixel would have that much share for a generally unknown phone brand would have been a surprise when it launched. I had assumed it would be no where near the much lower-priced Nexus models from prior years. The design is certainly nothing eye-catching and the pricing puts it out of reach for a significant segment of buyers. 
  • Reply 73 of 101
    maestro64 said:

Sold out is code for they do not have supply it does not mean people are actually buying it like crazy.

This says it all: "Demand for the Pixel isn't a tenth of that for the iPhone 7, and we were close in our guesses," AppleInsider was told by a source within Best Buy's corporate headquarters. "But, we underestimated demand anyway." Google, just like Apple and Samsung, produces to fill dealer agreements. If the dealers underestimated demand, they didn't order appropriately. This is not uncommon with new products. Pixel is a greater threat to Samsung, given all the bad press Samsung has heaped upon itself, and has no lasting technology differentiation to make it a legitimate long term competitor to iPhone.
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 74 of 101
    The Pixel is a clean looking design, so of course it is going to look like an iPhone. If this is the look they are going for, it is inevitable--so too bad for them :p .

But I have to say, the Pixel looks and feels to me a lot thicker in real life than the iPhone. I don't care a huge amount about having the thinnest of the thin device (iPhone 6 here), but I guess I'm spoiled now. Now that phones are as big as they are, every fraction of an inch in thickness seems to matter more.
    Ah, so now it's "inevitable" that android clones look exactly like iphones, complete with chin for the nonexistent touch id. riiiight. 
    Yeah, that sounded almost apologetic didn't it? That was certainly not my intent. IMO, most manufacturer's attempts at some sort of design flourish to set their product apart just get in the way. Then we see these cleaned up designs, and yes, they don't seem capable of anything but overt copying in order to get "less." Maybe "ironic" would be a better descriptor? 

It is the attention to detail that is usually missed by other manufacturers, which is part of the reason I brought up the thickness issue. That was my main take away after seeing one at the Verizon store.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 75 of 101
    k2kw said:
    cali said:
    When iHaters call this "a BEAUTIFUL phone" it gets to be like nothing else. I have a big pet peeve for ignorant people.

If this iKnockoff steals scraps from other droids, why don't they give up and start developing technologies for Apple? At least they'll make some sort of profit.

Then again, Apple probably doesn't want them because really, what do they offer?
    Do you mean Google should develop for Apple? Or the other android manufacturers? They do already - Youtube, Maps and Gmail are some of the biggest apps on iOS. Sony, Samsung, LG, and TCL all make components for Apple. 
    If Pixel was such a great phone Google would stop releasing its apps and services for the iPhone.  
    No they wouldn't. They would still support most platforms just as they always have. 
  • Reply 76 of 101
    Lol.... "Honestly, demand has exceeded our expectations....." ........Honestly? As opposed to ? ........Starting a sentence with that word, more often than not, is a red flag... To me..
  • Reply 77 of 101
    rf9rf9 Posts: 70member
    Why is the Pixel considered an iPhone 7 rival? It's an Android smartphone and I would think most rivals would be other Android smartphones in that same price range. I would think that many older Nexus smartphone users upgrading that's driving Pixel sales. I find it unlikely there are going to be a lot of iPhone switchers buying Pixel smartphones especially if the supply is limited. Switching OS platforms isn't all that trivial. Does the Pixel really offer all that much for such a hassle? There are plenty of flagship Android smartphones like the Galaxy S7 and all the dozens of low-cost Chinese-branded smartphones the Pixel will be competing with and I would think the iPhone 7 would be low on the list of being seen as a rival.
    Because it gets page clicks to say iPhone.
    I'm not being snarky.  Comparing Pixel to other Android phones doesn't get attention the way comparing it to iPhone does.
    Just look at this article's title?  There's no reason they had to say "iPhone 7 rival" in that title.  It could have just read "Google Struggling To Meet Demand for Pixel Phone."
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 78 of 101
    Is it really competition for the iPhone 7?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 79 of 101
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    gatorguy said:
    jbdragon said:
    So Google makes what is basically a iPhone CLONE. Prices it like a iPhone. They want to actually make a profit, something they couldn't do with their so called NEXUS phones, which this is still really a NEXUS phone, but slap on a Pixel Name and charge more money. I had though Google didn't want to get involved in hardware. They could have kept Motorola Mobility for that, yet they sold it off. These Pixel (Really NEXUS Phones made by LG, so same old, same old) give Google a unfair advantage over everyone else. They're trying to be Microsoft now. MS making Surface Computers, so here's Google with the Pixel. All the while Android has been basically marketed as the CHEAP phones!!! It's been a race to the bottom and Android for the most part has become a Commodity. Most Android phones sold are low end to mid range. With very slim profit margins. Keep in mind Apple is making around 95% of the Smartphone profits with Samesung making most of the rest, which leaves slim pickings for everyone else, which is better then those that are losing money. I really don't see how Google could be selling all that many. They can't keep supplies in stock and it's only in the Verizon Stores? I don't see how they could really be selling all that many just because of the price of these so called first generation Google Phones as Google is trying to make them out to be, even though it's just a new Nexus Phone made by LG. Call it whatever you want Google, doesn't change anything. The flat out copying of the iPhone. Move the touch sensor from the dumb back to the bottom front and it couldn't be any more of a clone. No button there but still large bezel like the iPhone. DUMB!!! If Android is your thing and you want to see updates in a reasonable amount of time, what choice do you have?
    Three things:
    - It is not an LG phone.
    - Second it is not the phone Google had planned to build. When Huawei backed out they had to scramble to a second source which was HTC
    - Third if you try a phone with a rear fingerprint sensor for a couple of days it will clearer to you why that's the preferred placement for some folks.  It's a natural landing spot for a finger when you pick up your phone, and allows for easy one-handed unlock too. A sensor on the front is also perfectly acceptable of course and is convenient if your phone is laying face-up on a table/desk. So neither location is "dumb".
    Touch ID can use your thumb or any other finger, and can be trained to several fingers. Seems like using your thumb, your largest fingerprint and therefore likely to yield the most accurate results, wouldn't be doable with the sensor on the rear, except in the infrequent case when you want to wake your phone while it's laying screen side down (why would you wake your phone at all in this context?). Seems to me a compromise was made to put it on the rear, since HTC (as indicated by another poster here) had already engineered that solution.
    edited January 2017 pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 80 of 101
    Is it really competition for the iPhone 7?
    No sir it is not. The iPhone has no actual competition IMHO. 

EDIT: Sellers on Amazon asking $1500+ for the lowest version Pixel XL??? Totally ridiculous. 
    edited January 2017 SpamSandwich