Apple removes iCloud Activation Lock status tool from website

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,685member
    Johan.G said:
    This move makes sense, since you can no longer wipe an iDevice without logging out of Find My iPhone first. 
    New credo is "if it's not wiped, don't buy it".
    How exactly does this work? Last week I got locked out of my phone because it didn't like my passcode for whatever reason (I know I was entering the right one). Apple support had me use iCloud.com to erase my phone so I could set up a new passcode. When you do that does it automatically log you out of find my iPhone?
    Exactly the same thing happened to a friend visiting from Switzerland. No sooner had he arrived than his iPhone said his passcode was wrong. He knew it was right and the phone ended up getting locked. He couldn't resolve the problem and spent two weeks without the phone. Once back in Switzerland it took him two days to get back up and running. This was the second time it has happened. Nothing we tried worked.
  • Reply 42 of 54
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    All I know is that there are lots of posts on the Apple Discussion Forums from people who want to know how to circumvent the activation lock. They all claim to have “found” or “bought” the device second hand. They all claim they cannot find or contact the original owner to deactivate the lock. When told they are simply out of luck and to return the device and get their money back there is usually no reply. What does that tell you?
    edited January 2017 ericthehalfbeewatto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 54
    Soli said:
    ericthehalfbee said:
    And what benefit would there be to a seller to trick you into a fake meeting to sell something that didn't match what they said?
    They could rob you of the cash. They can do that anyway, but if they messaged you their IMEI before the sale to show that activation lock is disabled and it's their personal phone the authorities could use it to track them down, which means a half-way intelligent thief wouldn't give you their personal IMEI.

Hence my comment about meeting in a public place or police station (the police here actually recommend people to meet at their stations).

What I'm wondering is why there aren't two class action lawsuits against Apple over this (then again, it's Sunday).

1. A class action from people who checked an IMEI at Apple and then received an iPhone that couldn't be unlocked. Therefore it's Apples fault they ended up with a locked iPhone and they should pay.
    2. A class action from people claiming the value of used iPhones has dropped because Apple cancelled this service. Also claiming this hurts buyers of used devices because they can now be taken advantage of since they can't check iPhones before buying.

Any bets that #2 actually occurs?
    Soli
  • Reply 44 of 54
    I was going to huff and puff about how Apple is helping thieves but then I realized that I did not even know Apple had an activation lock check service before this became news. I wonder if that's why they got rid of it? That or someone figured out a way to use it for bad purposes.
    edited January 2017 StrangeDays
  • Reply 45 of 54
    Johan.GJohan.G Posts: 11unconfirmed, member
    gatorguy said:
    Johan.G said:
    Evets said:
    Bad move by Apple. Making it difficult if not impossible to determine if an iOS device is activation locked. I hope to hell that they have something better planned that will roll out soon.
    Don't buy a used iOS device online. That's where fraud is possible and I believe it's the reason for Apple to take down the tool. 
    If you buy face-to-face, you can easily check the device's lock status and decline to purchase. 
    Apparently you're also saying don't try to sell your old iPhone online either? 
    By all means, try. Just don't mail the phone to me and expect me to wire you the money. I would come and pick it up in person, check it, and then pay you. 
  • Reply 46 of 54
    Johan.G said:
    This move makes sense, since you can no longer wipe an iDevice without logging out of Find My iPhone first. 
    How exactly does this work? Last week I got locked out of my phone because it didn't like my passcode for whatever reason (I know I was entering the right one). Apple support had me use iCloud.com to erase my phone so I could set up a new passcode. When you do that does it automatically log you out of find my iPhone?
    You're suggesting iOS sometimes ignores valid password entries, and it wasn't your mistake? I've never heard of this issue. 
    Me either but I had used that same passcode 6 hours earlier no problem. Wasn't the end of the world as I'm backed up of course but it was still a pain in the ass.
    Some people never make silly mistakes, and always are aware of them if they do.
  • Reply 47 of 54
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    which used to offer a convenient method of determining whether a used iPhone, iPad, iPod, or Apple Watch was stolen.

Yeah, not really. There was absolutely no way to tell if a device was stolen using this page. 

• Reply 48 of 54
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Soli said:
    ericthehalfbee said:
    And what benefit would there be to a seller to trick you into a fake meeting to sell something that didn't match what they said?
    They could rob you of the cash. They can do that anyway, but if they messaged you their IMEI before the sale to show that activation lock is disabled and it's their personal phone the authorities could use it to track them down, which means a half-way intelligent thief wouldn't give you their personal IMEI.
     I'm wondering is why there aren't two class action lawsuits against Apple over this (then again, it's Sunday).

1. A class action from people who checked an IMEI at Apple and then received an iPhone that couldn't be unlocked.
    You can't check an IMEI at Apple. 
  • Reply 49 of 54
    chris_ca said:
    Soli said:
    ericthehalfbee said:
     I'm wondering is why there aren't two class action lawsuits against Apple over this (then again, it's Sunday).

1. A class action from people who checked an IMEI at Apple and then received an iPhone that couldn't be unlocked.

You can use an IMEI number at Apple to see if the device has Activation Lock enabled (until yesterday, that is). Not hard to see how people could assume it also checks if the device is stolen, since this is what most people think of when they check an IMEI online. Hence the class action.
    netmage
  • Reply 50 of 54
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    chris_ca said:
    Soli said:
    ericthehalfbee said:

You can use an IMEI number at Apple to see if the device has Activation Lock enabled (until yesterday, that is). Not hard to see how people could assume it also checks if the device is stolen, since this is what most people think of when they check an IMEI online. Hence the class action.
    I'm lost. Why would there be a class action now that the OS doesn't allow for the device to be wiped before removing the activation lock?
  • Reply 51 of 54
    rivertrip said:
    Johan.G said:
    You're suggesting iOS sometimes ignores valid password entries, and it wasn't your mistake? I've never heard of this issue. 
    Me either but I had used that same passcode 6 hours earlier no problem. Wasn't the end of the world as I'm backed up of course but it was still a pain in the ass.
    Some people never make silly mistakes, and always are aware of them if they do.
    I didn't make a mistake.
  • Reply 52 of 54
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I think Apple at least should tell its user base why it made this decision. The black hole of corporate secrecy at Apple is annoying to say the least and only promotes false rumors.
    netmage
  • Reply 53 of 54
    lkrupp said:
    All I know is that there are lots of posts on the Apple Discussion Forums from people who want to know how to circumvent the activation lock. They all claim to have “found” or “bought” the device second hand. They all claim they cannot find or contact the original owner to deactivate the lock. When told they are simply out of luck and to return the device and get their money back there is usually no reply. What does that tell you?

IT MAKES ME QUESTION

How many iPhones are tossed in the trash because the finder or buyer could not locate the original owner?

A locked device such an iPhone is a disservice to the actual owner since the "finder/buyer" cannot contact the original owner.

All you get is M****@BestGuessForTheEmail.com for the iCloud logon screen to remove the activation lock on the device. Understood as it is a reminder for the owner, who lost it in the first place, of what their Account ID email is.

The “finder/buyer” can luckily get the IMEI and serial number. It can provide information that it is clear to use on a carrier network but does nothing for the actual owner because there is no place to look up the original owner on Apple’s site.  

So I ask in more detail: How many iPhones had to be replaced by an insurance claim and the found device had to be tossed because the original owner could not be located or found, all while Apple could have provide a simple notification page to alert the last recorded owner who locked the device after they lost or “misplaced” it?

The more I analyze it the more I notice how the Activation Lock appears to be a scam. Apple benefits by selling more iPhones and removing other devices off the market while the original owner pays a deductible and the insurance has to provide a replacement which may be remanufactured lost phones.

Apple’s response so far is to constantly delete posts relating to this subject in their support community. I had six posts in different words all to be deleted minutes after posting. Why the strict monitoring?

Do I smell a rotten Apple with fraud all over it?

• Reply 54 of 54

"Your account is currently banned."

"Go back to Apple Support Communities to browse or search for content."

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250289202

That was Apple's support response to my posts!  I scheduled a phone call for tomorrow.

BTW I use Tello.com to check if an IMEI is good, they are great low cost sprint backbone cell phone network. 

edited April 2019