Apple Watch sales set new 'record' during holidays, but no numbers revealed

Posted:
in Apple Watch
A "record" number of Apple Watches were sold in Apple's fiscal first quarter of 2017, CEO Tim Cook said on Tuesday, though the company is still refusing to break out specific figures.

During a call with analysts, Cook noted that that the Watch achieved records in "both units and revenue." Holiday sales were so intense, the executive suggested, that the company "couldn't make enough."

Since the Watch's launch in 2015, Apple has relegated the device to an "Other Products" category in its financial results, placing it alongside the Apple TV, iPods, Beats gear, and various other accessories, including some third-party offerings.

Cook's statements hint that the Apple Watch is largely supporting the category, since segment revenues fell 8 percent year-over-year to just over $4 billion. Sibling products presumably saw losses, though there's no indication as to which, or how badly.

The Watch was likely lifted by the September release of the Series 2, which added a faster processor, waterproofing, a brighter display, and built-in GPS. The company also released the Series 1, a cheaper version of the first-generation Watch but also equipped with a faster chip.

In total Apple pulled in $78.4 billion in revenue during the December quarter, driven mostly be sales of 78.3 million iPhones. Mac sales were up to 5.4 million, but iPads fell 19 percent to about 13 million.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    I wonder if Apple will report a "Wearables" category in the future, as Watch and AirPods become larger.  And possibly AR/VR glasses in the future.

Tim used the term today.

Apple could promote this as a new growth category, similar to their highlighting of Services during the past few earnings calls.
    anantksundaramwatto_cobraalbegarccali
  • Reply 2 of 19
    ...the company is still refusing to break out specific figures.

So !? Hardly anyone gives the details of the number of units for desktop, laptop, tablets, phones... yet Apple does. But when they feel like they should play it close to the vest they are hiding something. The freaking analysts are gonna make up some number and plug it in to the crap reports they generate that causes the stock to see/saw up/down. Of course they always attribute it to some well placed source.
    lkruppanantksundaramSolilostkiwiwatto_cobra2old4funalbegarcStrangeDayscali
  • Reply 3 of 19
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 281member
    Wow! This is odd. Just a few weeks ago pundits lauded Fitbit as the leader and woe is Apple.

Now we see Apple had record sales while Fitbit had to fire people because of lack of sales.

i wonder how reality tastes to pundits who are always wrong?
    Probably like isht but they proclaim it's delicious!
    anantksundaramSolilostkiwiwatto_cobraalbegarcflashfan207StrangeDayscali
  • Reply 4 of 19
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    qwwera said:
    Wow! This is odd. Just a few weeks ago pundits lauded Fitbit as the leader and woe is Apple.

Now we see Apple had record sales while Fitbit had to fire people because of lack of sales.

And now Fitbit stock tanked and they’re laying off a couple hundred people.
    anantksundaramSoliwatto_cobracali
  • Reply 5 of 19
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I wonder if Apple will report a "Wearables" category in the future, as Watch and AirPods become larger.  And possibly AR/VR glasses in the future.
    Probably not, because it doesn't do them any good.
    watto_cobracali
  • Reply 6 of 19
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    The watch is there for when it can become fully autonomous with Cell and LTE.   Hopefully they will have a greatly improved version of SIRI by then. 
    cali
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    You're in a restaurant, enjoying a meal, then on two tables, three people suddenly stand up, stretch out their arms then sit down again. 

You have spotted two parties that arrived and sat down at the same time; and in those parties, three people are wearing Apple watches. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 19
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    Rayz2016 said:
    You're in a restaurant, enjoying a meal, then on two tables, three people suddenly stand up, stretch out their arms then sit down again.
    You then stick a fork in your eye as you're high and hallucinating because none of that never actually happened.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 9 of 19
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I hope that Apple is able to overcome the media that demands the Apple Watch be totally independent of the IPhone -- while, in reality, its synergistic ability to utilize the power of the IPhone is a strength rather than a weakness.   No other wearable has the strength and power of the IPhone / Apple Watch combination -- and never will.  Those other standalone devices simply can't touch the Apple Watch in overall capabilities.

For myself:  I am using the original series Apple Watch for a variety of daily exercise and it performs flawlessly.  Yet, if you read the media, you would believe it to be completely incompetent.  

I am looking forward to see what Series 3 will bring!  

• Reply 10 of 19
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Soli said:
    Probably not, because it doesn't do them any good.
    Indeed. I think it is great that Apple is keeping their cards close to the chest, and not giving anything to the competitors.  Other companies don't have any hard data from Apple on that market, making them do a lot more "guessing".  Perhaps this is why we are not seeing as much investment as there was when Apple introduced the iPad and it became clear that Apple was making a lot of money.

As for Apple Watch becoming independent - I think that will happen but in stages.  Cellular connectivity can be added to provide always-on connectivity as needed, but the Apple Watch can still be essentially an accessory to the iPhone.  If you leave the phone behind for any reason (fitness activities, quick run for errands, or even just forgetting at home), then the Watch & apps are still connected for notifications, calls, etc.  But otherwise, when someone has both, Watch doesn't use cellular & can save battery.  

Really, what non-iPhone user is going to purchase an Apple Watch (at least over next few years)?  I can certainly see it becoming a separate device eventually, but it would be low on the priority scale for next few years IMO.
    albegarc
  • Reply 11 of 19
    lkrupp said:
    qwwera said:

Exactly and that company is desperate becuase the lack of sales and buying competitors.

cali
  • Reply 12 of 19
    macgui said:
    You then stick a fork in your eye as you're high and hallucinating because none of that never actually happened.
    Naah, you just wish it hadn't happened. 

Oh, and of course one of the people who stood up was me ;-)
    edited February 2017 flashfan207GeorgeBMaccali
  • Reply 13 of 19
    albegarc said:
    lkrupp said:
    qwwera said:

Exactly and that company is desperate becuase the lack of sales and buying competitors.

Said it before, Fitbit needs to stop messing about and support Apple's HealthKit. I would have bought one last year if it did. Then Apple came out with a watch that was waterproof so…
    edited February 2017 StrangeDayscali
  • Reply 14 of 19
    The combination of the AppleWatch and the AirPods is brilliant. I've been running the desert trails here in AZ for about three weeks now and have not had an AirPod even come close to falling out. I listened to the new Rolling Stones album while running with just the AppleWatch and the AirPods. Did not have to carry my iPhone. 

If you're a runner, this is a winning combination. I think it's only going to get better with software updates to the running App.

I would prefer it to be a dedicated Running App., w/o all the walking, exercise, etc.

I may look into the Nike AppleWatch. I used the Nike Running app on my iPhone (Pre-Apple Watch) and liked it but too much "selling" of shoes from Nike.

I did like the recorded accolades at the end of the run from celebrities. Also, the comparison of other 58 year olds running stats. Pretty cool. 
    StrangeDayscali
  • Reply 15 of 19
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Well I can report a genuine number ... I bought the wife 1!  :)

BTW she didn't think she wanted one, now I could't pry it from her wrist if I wanted to ... she loves it.
    flashfan207GeorgeBMaccali
  • Reply 16 of 19
    MacPro said:
    Well I can report a genuine number ... I bought the wife 1!  :)

BTW she didn't think she wanted one, now I could't pry it from her wrist if I wanted to ... she loves it.
    Haha, mine too! 😆👍🏻 I splurged on the Nike+ and she inherited my old launch  Watch. I use mine for pretty much everything it can do, but so far she is just using the workout app and notifications. 
    cali
  • Reply 17 of 19
    The combination of the AppleWatch and the AirPods is brilliant. I've been running the desert trails here in AZ for about three weeks now and have not had an AirPod even come close to falling out. I listened to the new Rolling Stones album while running with just the AppleWatch and the AirPods. Did not have to carry my iPhone. 

If you're a runner, this is a winning combination. I think it's only going to get better with software updates to the running App.

I would prefer it to be a dedicated Running App., w/o all the walking, exercise, etc.

I may look into the Nike AppleWatch. I used the Nike Running app on my iPhone (Pre-Apple Watch) and liked it but too much "selling" of shoes from Nike.

I did like the recorded accolades at the end of the run from celebrities. Also, the comparison of other 58 year olds running stats. Pretty cool. 
    I didn't catch which  Watch you currently have. If you already have a Series 2 then you don't need to splurge for a Nike+, as they are the same watch except for the strap (which is awesome, FYI), and two exclusive watch faces. If you don't have a Series 2 yet, then definitely I would recommend grabbing one. The GPS will help immensely on your runs, as will the Nike Running app. 👍🏻
  • Reply 18 of 19

For myself, I won't leave home without my IPhone -- including running.   Maybe especially running.   Actually, that's why I bought my first IPhone -- so when out on back trails, if I had a problem I could call for help and tell them where I was....

But, for dedicated running apps:  check out the 3rd party apps that are already available.   After Apple opened up the watch's metrics to them (such as heart rate) with Watch OS3, they are (slowly) becoming much more viable.   I use ICardio on both the phone and the watch -- mostly because I've been using it on my phone (with a chest strap) for years.   It's obviously still an initial release on the watch but it works.   Well, it works slowly, but it does work.  I like the graph of heart rate it gives you on the IPhone (Average heart rate doesn't seem to mean much).

As for Nike, I've never been too impressed with any of their products.   Just too commercial.  For running gear I use mostly North Face and Sauconey.
  • Reply 19 of 19

I didn't catch which  Watch you currently have. If you already have a Series 2 then you don't need to splurge for a Nike+, as they are the same watch except for the strap (which is awesome, FYI), and two exclusive watch faces. If you don't have a Series 2 yet, then definitely I would recommend grabbing one. The GPS will help immensely on your runs, as will the Nike Running app. 👍🏻
    Or just carry your IPhone.   Most runners I know carry a phone with them.  A couple ounces in your shoes makes a big difference.   A couple ounces on your body won't be noticed.   For the Nike App, that's been available as an app download for awhile.