References to possible 2017 MacBook Pro with Intel Kaby Lake CPUs found in macOS Sierra be...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited February 2017
Examination of the beta code for macOS Sierra 10.12.4 has revealed a trio of Kaby Lake processors referenced, which has pointed to specific processor substitutions for a possible MacBook Pro refresh using Intel's new processor line.

Three motherboard identifiers and power management data sets have been identified in the beta code by Pike's Universum, and first reported upon by MacRumors, corresponding to Kaby Lake processors in the MacBook Pro both with and without Touch Bar.

According to the blog post, the i5-6360U processor at 2.0 GHz in the 13-inch MacBook Pro with Function Keys can be replaced with the Kaby Lake i5-7260 running at 2.2 GHz. Similarly, the i7-6660U 2.4 GHz processor's counterpart is the Kaby Lake i7-7660U 2.5 GHz chip.

The 13-inch MacBook Pro with Touch bar has similar swaps. The i5-6267U at 2.9 GHz, the i5-6287U 3.1 GHz, and i7-6567U 3.3 Ghz processors can be replaced by the Kaby Lake 3.1 GHz i5-7267U, the 3.3 GHz i5-7287U, and the 3.5 GHz i7-7567U processors, respectively.

For the 15-inch 2016 MacBook Pro, the 2.6 GHz i7-6700HQ, 2.7 GHz i7-6820HQ, and 2.9 GHz i7-6920HQ are able to be upgraded in a future MacBook Pro model after the code is implemented to i7-7700HQ at 2.8 GHz, i7-7820HQ 2.9 GHz, and i7-7920 3.1 GHz Kaby Lake processors.

While the Kaby Lake line of processors debuted in the spring of 2016, All of the processors suitable for "drop-in" with the new Sierra code in a future MacBook Pro were announced at the 2017 Consumer Electronics Show. The CPU in the 2016 MacBook Pro is not socketed, and is not replaceable by the end-user.

Processing power isn't appreciably increased with the Kaby Lake upgrade versus the current Skylake processors. However, power efficiency and on-board GPU capabilities are markedly better.

Regardless of a possible processor upgrade for the MacBook Pro, the RAM cap of 16GB is unlikely to change in the short term. Apple is not expected to engineer a new RAM controller to support DDR4 RAM, nor does the Kaby Lake processor support LPDDR4 RAM. Support for LPDDR4 RAM isn't expected for two more revisions of Intel's laptop and desktop processors.

Reports of a Kaby Lake-based MacBook Pro refresh started circulating in January, with production of a new model slated to begin in Apple's fiscal fourth quarter. A version with 32GB of RAM is possible, according to the rumors, but possibly not arrive until early 2018.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    The sooner the better, for me, as I'm skipping this first release of this brilliant new design with all its included benefits.

Reports of a Kaby Lake-based MacBook Pro refresh started circulating in January, with production of a new model slated to begin in Apple's fiscal fourth quarter. A version with 32GB of RAM is possible, according to the rumors, but possibly not arrive until early 2018.
    I'm guessing a lot of people are going to read that last sentence and then expect more than 16GiB RAM for Kaby Lake.
    boredumbleviwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 52
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    I've had my latest gen MBP for a few days now in real world use. Overall the design is very nice. Touch bar is neat but it's pretty annoying not to have hard function keys for brightness/volume/etc. control. My biggest grip is that battery life is disappointing. Not meeting my expectations for Apple. 4-5 hours max for non-intense work seems to be the norm. Other than that, the value proposition really isn't there. Hard to imagine anyone with a 2012 or later MBP (mine was 2010) justifying the upgrade.
    edited February 2017 williamlondonboredumbavon b7nubus
  • Reply 3 of 52
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Soli said:
    The sooner the better, for me, as I'm skipping this first release of this brilliant new design with all its included benefits.
    MBPs last so long it is difficult to convince myself to upgrade. I'm using the original 15" retina from 2012 and it is just like brand new. It will probably be years before I need to upgrade. The only reason I upgraded then was because my previous MBP was stuck on Lion, otherwise I'd probably still be using that one. My MBP is not my primary computer. I just use it when I travel.
    edited February 2017 macxpress
  • Reply 4 of 52
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Possibly around May or June you could see an update for the MacBook Pro. That would be 6-7 months from the original product release. Sure, this may piss some people off but you can't always have the latest and greatest of something and Apple can't just sit there and do nothing when something IS available for use in an update, especially if it provides something valuable the previous model did not. If they can offer 32GB of RAM as an add-on I think that will silence a lot of the critics. I don't see Apple adding USB-A ports. People are just gonna have to get over that. USB-C is the future and there's no better way to force 3rd party companies to make USB-C products than to make a market for it having products that only support USB-C. The same thing happened when Apple switched to USB from their old I/O. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 52
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    volcan said:
    Soli said:
    MBPs last so long it is difficult to convince myself to upgrade. I'm using the original 15" retina and it is just like brand new. It will probably be years before I need to upgrade.
    If it still does what you need it to do then I don't see any reason to upgrade. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! I think some people are stuck on well I need a new Mac because this one is old, not even realizing it still does what they need it to do. I still use a last gen 2012 Mac Pro tower. I love it! I wouldn't trade it for anything. It does exactly what I need it to do and I've very happy with it. I'm not even using macOS Sierra on it. I don't see any reason to upgrade to Sierra vs El Capitan. 
    williamlondonanome
  • Reply 6 of 52
    schlack said:
    I've had my latest gen MBP for a few days now in real world use. Overall the design is very nice. Touch bar is neat but it's pretty annoying not to have hard function keys for brightness/volume/etc. control. My biggest grip is that battery life is disappointing. Not meeting my expectations for Apple. 4-5 hours max for non-intense work seems to be the norm. Other than that, the value proposition really isn't there. Hard to imagine anyone with a 2012 or later MBP (mine was 2010) justifying the upgrade.
    Give the battery life some time to see what your settings are.  If you are truly doing "non-intense" work then yours is an outlier and you need to get it checked or review your settings.
    williamlondonStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 52
    macxpress said:
    People are just gonna have to get over that. USB-C is the future and there's no better way to force 3rd party companies to make USB-C products than to make a market for it having products that only support USB-C. 
    So how do you connect your iPhone if you want to charge it or back it up? A $30 dongle?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 52
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    volcan said:
    macxpress said:
    People are just gonna have to get over that. USB-C is the future and there's no better way to force 3rd party companies to make USB-C products than to make a market for it having products that only support USB-C. 
    So how do you connect your iPhone if you want to charge it or back it up? A $30 dongle?
    Stop being so melodramatic.  New iPhones will simply include a USBc cable, that's how.  Your $30 dongle rant is obsolete.  Have you forgotten that USBc is an adopted standard and there are dongles on amazon that can be had for $5?    No, you didn't bother... just easier to hate on Apple.
    ericthehalfbeeStrangeDaysai46
  • Reply 9 of 52
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    volcan said:
    macxpress said:
    Data with wi-fi, and the existing USB-A to Lightning cable. Or, a $29 USB-C to Lightning cable.

Otherwise, you get a $9 USB-C to USB-A adapter. Or, you wait until Apple doesn't include USB-A in the box at all.
    watto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 10 of 52
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    schlack said:
    I went from a 2013 to the 2016 MacBook Pro, and I'm getting twice the battery life on a machine that weighs a third less. The screen is much brighter with better colors. And although I went from a 2.7 I7 with 16GB to a 2.0 I5 with 8GB, there is no discernible difference in real world performance. Even multicore operations such as compiling Xcode projects take only a few seconds longer.

It is definitely a marked improvement over a 2013 model and well worth the upgrade.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 52
    sflocal said:
    ...there are dongles on amazon that can be had for $5?    No, you didn't bother... just easier to hate on Apple.
    I don't hate on Apple, which is why I would buy an Apple dongle instead of some crappy no name brand from Amazon. The truth is, I never connect my iPhone to my MBP anyway. I back it up to my iMac. I doubt Apple will include a USB-C cable in the box unless they ship it with two cables which seems unlikely. I think they wait until all Windows PCs have had a USB-C for several years before they switch over. I think there are more Windows iPhone users than Mac iPhone users.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 12 of 52
    volcan said:
    Soli said:
    MBPs last so long it is difficult to convince myself to upgrade. I'm using the original 15" retina from 2012 and it is just like brand new. It will probably be years before I need to upgrade. The only reason I upgraded then was because my previous MBP was stuck on Lion, otherwise I'd probably still be using that one. My MBP is not my primary computer. I just use it when I travel.
    Which is why Apple products have a great resale value. I can sell my old MBP for a great price and get something that has additional features I want and/or better performance, each of which can translate into better efficiency and therefore more money and/or more time for other tasks. At this point, I'm only holding off because it's been so long since the launch now and historically a price drop will occur after having including such a major and costly investment into the new HW used in the Late-2016 MBP.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 52
    Soli said:

Which is why Apple products have a great resale value. I can sell my old MBP for a great price and get something that has additional features I want and/or better performance, 
    I don't like the hassle of upgrading especially if you plan to have strangers coming to your house to look at buying your old computer. I just gave away my last MBP. I kept all the packaging including the plastic wrap. I gave it to a ten year-old for Christmas and he didn't even suspect it was not brand new, but it took a long time to get all my applications and data off of it and wipe it. It can be an all day affair making a bootable thumb drive for the install partition, updating the OS and all.
    tmay
  • Reply 14 of 52
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Bring upgradable components like RAM and SSD.
    The_Martini_Cat
  • Reply 15 of 52
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,924member
    Processing power isn't appreciably increased with the Kaby Lake upgrade versus the current Skylake processors. However, power efficiency and on-board GPU capabilities are markedly better. 
    Hopefully that will improve that battery issues people are reporting - I've seen enough posts about them to make me think that they are more than just isolated cases. Of course if the problems are related to poor power management in OS X then we just have to wait for Apple's programmers to get all the bugs out and hardware won't make a difference.
    Support for LPDDR4 RAM isn't expected for two more revisions of Intel's laptop and desktop processors.
    I wonder why it's so far out? Seems like there would be a large demand for it, especially in the laptop market. For now you're either stuck with crappy battery life from power-hungry memory, or putting a bigger battery in.

sflocal said:
    New iPhones will simply include a USBc cable, that's how.  Your $30 dongle rant is obsolete.  Have you forgotten that USBc is an adopted standard and there are dongles on amazon that can be had for $5?    No, you didn't bother... just easier to hate on Apple.
    I agree that USB C is the future, but no one can deny that USB A is the present and immediate future. I was at the Apple Store over the weekend and found it rather telling that the only actual USB C devices they had were an external hard drive and a couple of dual USB A/C flash drives. Every other USB C product they had was either a dongle or a hub (with a USB A port.) Not including even a single USB A port in a laptop is inexcusable IMO. The least they could do would be to include a dongle for you after just got done forking over $2000+ for a laptop. All the 'hating' on Apple comes from people being justifiably frustrated at paying a premium price for a premium product that doesn't work out of the box with any of the peripherals they have. If there were a justifiable reason not to have a single USB A port people would bet a bit more forgiving, but there really isn't. (and yes, I realize that cheap dongles can be had, but the real cost is when you show up for a meeting and realize you don't have the dongle with and the data you need is on a USB A flash drive. 
  • Reply 16 of 52
    volcan said:
    Soli said:

Which is why Apple products have a great resale value. I can sell my old MBP for a great price and get something that has additional features I want and/or better performance, 
    I don't like the hassle of upgrading especially if you plan to have strangers coming to your house to look at buying your old computer. I just gave away my last MBP. I kept all the packaging including the plastic wrap. I gave it to a ten year-old for Christmas and he didn't even suspect it was not brand new, but it took a long time to get all my applications and data off of it and wipe it. It can be an all day affair making a bootable thumb drive for the install partition, updating the OS and all.
    I keep all the packaging. Except for the external shrink wrap you'd think it was knew because I also make sure I clean the device so it looks factor new. Well, the PSU cables don't seem to hold up so well since they removed some potential harmful material from them many years ago (which is one reason I'm very happy for the move to USB-C).

I live downtown so I meet people in a public place if I sell my device. Having Craig's List strangers over to my house would be crazy.
    StrangeDaysmacxpress
  • Reply 17 of 52
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,278member
    I sure hope 2017 is the year Apple returns to regularly updating the entire mac lineup. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 52
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    The i5-6360U processor at 2.0 GHz in the 13-inch MacBook Pro with Function Keys can be replaced with the Kaby Lake i5-7260 running at 2.2 GHz. Not a good news here. Apple still don't get it. Apple needs to offer low end Macbook Pro with decent(around 3.0Ghz) processor, 8GB RAM, 256GB storage, 3-4 USB Type-C ports between $1199-$1299. Apple, needs to make the most important user base of High-school, College and casual users base largest..This is a sweet spot to keep growing Apple echo system. https://ark.intel.com/products/codename/82879/Kaby-Lake#@Mobile
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 19 of 52
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member
    volcan said:
    macxpress said:
    Since you hate adapters/dongles so much here you go. Lightning to USB-C
    Here's one much cheaper at Amazon.

That was easy, wasn't it? 
    SoliStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 52
    blastdoor said:
    I sure hope 2017 is the year Apple returns to regularly updating the entire mac lineup. 
    You may get a year where you'll see everything updated in that year, but so long as they are dependent on Intel you're not going to get anything "regular."
    macxpresswatto_cobra